Thread: Infinitive aging

Icon5 Infinitive aging

Goodmorning guys;
    I've noticed that the characters enjoy an infinite longevity - which is quite unreal considering that most characters reach 70/80 years of age - considering the life expectancy of the time.
    Now I'm not saying to lower it to what is historically reported (for obvious gameplay reasons) but I've never seen anyone die tragically. Considering an average age of 56, that's about 136 turns per character.
    Is there no way to balance it out? Or would that mess everything up!

With Pirro I made it to 77, making it practically easy to achieve his goal while still alive!

Default Re: Infinitive aging

Quote Originally Posted by Mattus View Post
    Goodmorning guys;
    I've noticed that the characters enjoy an infinite longevity - which is quite unreal considering that most characters reach 70/80 years of age - considering the life expectancy of the time.
    Now I'm not saying to lower it to what is historically reported (for obvious gameplay reasons) but I've never seen anyone die tragically. Considering an average age of 56, that's about 136 turns per character.

With Pirro I made it to 77, making it practically easy to achieve his goal while still alive!
    EBII makes it so that you cannot die before reaching 72 years old, but every turn after that you start having a chance to die. So in practice, most characters live to around 72-74 years

What must also be considered is that longevity isn't the same as average.

People mostly died at young age until the end of the XIXth century, bringing the average down a lot.

But when you became adult, there was a good probability that you live old, accidental death excluded. (Which hasn't varied a lot since you can still die falling off a cliff or stairs, for instance)

To make it more realistic, children should be tested and should die randomly (or only the weakest would die) but this is starting to become very complex.

The best way to go around the fact that every child manage to become an adult is to consider that only those who will become adults are shown, those who will die aren't shown.

This would consider something like 4, 5 or 6 children per couples instead of 2 to 3, and would be more realistic too since often, to avoid losing all their children, families decided to have a lot of then and see what sticks.
    Last edited by Floren d'Asteneuz; December 03, 2022 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattus View Post
    Goodmorning guys;

You've made the classic error of assuming the mean average is the mode. High infant mortality brought the mean down, but if you survived childhood, you had a pretty good chance of reaching your 60s. If you were of the elite (which all FMs are by default) and living an active lifestyle, that could be 70 or 80, bar accident or murder.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    You've made the classic error of assuming the mean average is the mode. High infant mortality brought the mean down, but if you survived childhood, you had a pretty good chance of reaching your 60s. If you were of the elite (which all FMs are by default) and living an active lifestyle, that could be 70 or 80, bar accident or murder.
    Some people lived even longer than that. For instance, the Republican Roman statesman Cato the Elder lived until he was 85 years old. The medieval Venetian Doge Enrico Dandolo lived until he was 98 years old. People weren't incredibly different in pre-modern societies, they were the same biological humans as us, but simply did not have modern medicine. In most cases it must have been pure dumb luck or genetics that allowed some to live so long.

For roleplaying purposes, when a family member "dies" at 72 I either pretend he actually died or simply retired in old age, no longer seeking office in a republic or a position at a royal court depending on the faction I'm playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    For roleplaying purposes, when a family member "dies" at 72 I either pretend he actually died or simply retired in old age, no longer seeking office in a republic or a position at a royal court depending on the faction I'm playing.
    Roman FMs be like: I'm too old for this excrementum.