Thread: Favourite political strategies

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Favourite political strategies

What are your favourite ways to manage politics and the family tree in Rome II?

One of mine is to re-name an army after a rival party, always appoint a general from that party to lead the army (when possible) and attach a dignitary with the Advisor skill. Win battles with the general, promote the general and level up the dignitary's advisor skill, and you'll get a big boost to the rival party's loyalty - as long as you keep the general alive.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Favourite political strategies

Mine is very traditional. Marry one of your children with party members and their loyalty will increase. I promote them also regularily.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Exterminating all opposition is always a good tactic. When they come to civil war point, they will just be easy pickings and then you can rest easily for 20 turns and hopefully get a party with decent traits that you can manage easily

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    What are your favourite ways to manage politics and the family tree in Rome II?

One of mine is to re-name an army after a rival party, always appoint a general from that party to lead the army (when possible) and attach a dignitary with the Advisor skill. Win battles with the general, promote the general and level up the dignitary's advisor skill, and you'll get a big boost to the rival party's loyalty - as long as you keep the general alive.

That's also a strategy I apply in order to reduce the odds of a secession or civil war. It is a very good idea to rename an army or fleet commanded by a general or admiral from a rival party ( I type the party's name ) so that you keep track of who the generals/admirals from rival parties are during the whole campaign.

Another thing I do is promoting every character from my party at least to the free promotion so that they gather the necessary gravitas faster in order that they are available for getting married. That's very important for secession or civil war cases so that you have available candidates from your party for being generals/admirals. If you neglect expanding the amount of characters from your party, you could regret it later when a secession or civil war is imminent because you wouldn't have available candidates for replacing generals/admirals from rival parties with characters from your party.

Exterminating all opposition is always a good tactic. When they come to civil war point, they will just be easy pickings and then you can rest easily for 20 turns and hopefully get a party with decent traits that you can manage easily
    That's recommended only in case you don't care if a secession or civil war breaks out soon because you are ready to quickly deal with the separatists. Don't do it when you are not ready.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; November 07, 2022 at 03:22 PM.

I keep the rivals in charge of large navies. Lots of opportunity for victories with low chance of death. I also marry as many people as possible as the boost to loyalty is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    I keep the rivals in charge of large navies. Lots of opportunity for victories with low chance of death. I also marry as many people as possible as the boost to loyalty is fantastic.
    That's a good idea I hadn't been thinking of. Admirals from rival parties are less likely to die in a battle than generals from rival parties.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    One way of greatly reducing the odds that an admiral from a rival party dies in battle is this:
    If you fight a battle far from a city of you and you still have room for retreating during battle, you should keep the admiral in a safe distance from battle. If the enemy has ballista ships, keep him out of range.
    In case things go wrong in the battle, you can just order your admiral unit to retreat so that he gets away alive. As long as you kept him a bit far from battle. It can be late to try to retreat if you admiral is kind of close where the battle took place. There is a possibilty that the enemy ships reach your admiral while he's trying to get away.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; May 20, 2023 at 09:21 AM.