Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 098 : Mod is NOT RUNNING, what to do? (also crashes and other technical)

Launcher says it cannot find Medieval 2.exe or kingdoms.exe. I have put it into mods folder, but I haven't installed the game into C hard disk, but another internal one. Any fix?

May be a dumb question, but can I have both SS6.4 and this one, and select which I run?

I own the steam version of the game. Right now, I have installed SSHIP in SS6.3 folder, so it replaced Stainless Steel files.

Now I run the game from sslauncher.exe (it runs SSHIP mod).

Is there a way of an installation that will allow both mod (Stainless Steel 6.4) and submod (SSHIP) to be available??
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; January 02, 2023 at 02:10 AM. Reason: posts merged

Default Re: Can I run both Stainless Steel 6.4 and this one?

sure, every mod can have its own separate folder inside the folder "mods"

as for launching the mod you want, i dont have ss installed right now so i might be wrong but generally there should be a ".bat" windows batch file in the mod folder that can be used to launch the mod, right click on it then "edit" and put in the correct path, otherwise when you want to launch ss6.4 it will launch sship instead

if you didnt understand the above or it doesnt work just edit the folder names when you need to play one mod or the other, like if you wanna play sship right now then change ss6.4 folder name to asdasdasdas

hope it helps

No, it doesn't start. My installation path is outside D (in another internal SSD). Then Medieval II Total War/mods/SSHIP_+098 and files are there.
    When I try to open launcher.bat, it does nothing. When I try to run it with admin rights, it says that it cannot find medieval 2 or kingdoms.exe

I really cannot understand why is this so difficult to install it

UPDATE. It started when I put both the 2 .exe files (kingdoms and medieval 2 to run as admin!!)
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; January 02, 2023 at 02:10 AM. Reason: posts merged

Default Re: 098 : Mod is NOT RUNNING, what to do? (also crashes and other technical)

well, to your original question, what i was saying is that you can have as many mods and versions you want, all mods and their files are contained in their own folder

Default Re: 098 : Mod is NOT RUNNING, what to do? (also crashes and other technical)

Ok, just configured it. For a weird reason it run only if I set kingdoms.exe and medieval2.exe to run with admin rights

Just finished setting up SSHIP 98 which took longer than expected... And when i launch the game from sship launcher, why does the game go to the corner of my screen? Can't make it full screen even if I change to widescreen in options, or any resolution i apply. Don't have this problem with medieval 2, ss 6.4, or third age total war.

Nvm just found the problem.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; January 02, 2023 at 02:11 AM. Reason: posts merged

Default Re: [DOWNLOAD] SSHIP 0.98 ver. September 8th, 2022

I've played SS 6.4 for ages off and on, and after a long hiatus was taking another look at it when I decided I would try the new standalone SSHIP098, as it seemed to now be a much more simply affair to install. Indeed it is. As a newbie to SSHIP, I can only give a preliminary opinion, but this seems amazing. First thing that stuck out is the lovely campaign map graphics. Beautiful. Congrats to everyone involved and thank you for giving us this beauty in progress.

I just installed SHHIP098 a few hours ago and haven't had time yet to actually play anything, I've just messed around with it a bit. But a couple questions have arisen. I searched, and read for answers but to no avail. I would appreciate anyone who can help me out on these.

1. The install contains two saved files, aragon1 and aragon2, and a quicksave and a save file. I tried them and they work, but I have no idea what they were meant to be or why they were provided. Just wondering.

2. This one is a more important question. I prefer a slow or default movement speed for animations on the campaign map. And my quick try of movements in SSHIP revealed that the animations are set to rapid speed. In SS6.4, the animation speed for the campaign map is slow, and if one wants rapid movement then pressing the space bar once results in the more rapid movement. I prefer the slower movement since sending diplomats, merchants, princesses, etc, into the hinterlands can reveal lots of information otherwise not seen where, (e.g., bridges, foreign/enemy units etc.), are revealed, but only for a short distance while ones character is near them and then disappear when the character moves on and those sometimes valuable bits of information are then lost but to memory. With rapid movement they aren't so easy to keep track of.

So what I'd like to achieve is to revert this back to the slower default SS6.4 animation speed and use the space bar if/when I want to speed up the animations.

How can I do that in SSHIP098? Or can I?
    Last edited by bweiss; December 22, 2022 at 09:41 PM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by bweiss View Post
    I've played SS 6.4 for ages off and on, and after a long hiatus was taking another look at it when I decided I would try the new standalone SSHIP098, as it seemed to now be a much more simply affair to install. Indeed it is. As a newbie to SSHIP, I can only give a preliminary opinion, but this seems amazing. First thing that stuck out is the lovely campaign map graphics. Beautiful. Congrats to everyone involved and thank you for giving us this beauty in progress.

I just installed SHHIP098 a few hours ago and haven't had time yet to actually play anything, I've just messed around with it a bit. But a couple questions have arisen. I searched, and read for answers but to no avail. I would appreciate anyone who can help me out on these.

1. The install contains two saved files, aragon1 and aragon2, and a quicksave and a save file. I tried them and they work, but I have no idea what they were meant to be or why they were provided. Just wondering.

2. This one is a more important question. I prefer a slow or default movement speed for animations on the campaign map. And my quick try of movements in SSHIP revealed that the animations are set to rapid speed. In SS6.4, the animation speed for the campaign map is slow, and if one wants rapid movement then pressing the space bar once results in the more rapid movement. I prefer the slower movement since sending diplomats, merchants, princesses, etc, into the hinterlands can reveal lots of information otherwise not seen where, (e.g., bridges, foreign/enemy units etc.), are revealed, but only for a short distance while ones character is near them and then disappear when the character moves on and those sometimes valuable bits of information are then lost but to memory. With rapid movement they aren't so easy to keep track of.

So what I'd like to achieve is to revert this back to the slower default SS6.4 animation speed and use the space bar if/when I want to speed up the animations.

How can I do that in SSHIP098? Or can I?
    ad1 - just working copies, don't bother
    ad 2 - I have no idea. I'd change it with the space bar, I'm a bit surprised it doesn't work in the SSHIP. or does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones4491 View Post
    Do you know when we could see a late era campaign introduced? Additionally, would it be set around 1200AD or 1300AD?
    not in the foreseeable future, I'm afraid.

dates are as follows, they play the role in the historical evolution of the units and other issues :
    if I_TurnNumber = 208 set_event_counter early_era 0
    set_event_counter high_era 1
    set_event_counter late_era 0
    end_if
    if I_TurnNumber = 516
    set_event_counter early_era 0
    set_event_counter high_era 0
    set_event_counter late_era 1
    end_if
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; December 23, 2022 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    ad1 - just working copies, don't bother
    ad 2 - I have no idea. I'd change it with the space bar, I'm a bit surprised it doesn't work in the SSHIP. or does it?
    ad 2 - Now I'm really confused, I presumed incorrectly I see, that it had been purposely changed for some reason in SSHIP perhaps to speed up the game. But no, on my install the space bar merely slows the character for just a brief moment, then immediately the little feller whizzes off at Warp speed. I also tried the "spacebar twice", to see if it had an effect. But it doesn't, and the character still races off to the chosen clicked upon target just as fast.

I searched this out and there are seemingly no lack of folks (particularly on Steam - no I'm not on Steam), that want to speed up the animations who are otherwise using the default SS6.4 or vanilla game which is slow movement by default, and then sped up with the spacebar. And so the suggested popular fix mentioned is to use the spacebar to speed it up, and hit the spacebar twice to slow it down again, like an on and off toggle effect. But in my install of SHHIP098, the default animation is fast, and spacebar once or twice does nothing. Bottom line is; it is always fast and nothing I do seems to change that.

Odd that in all my years playing vanilla, SS6.4, ROC LMA V, and VI, I never needed to use a double spacebar like so many have suggested as the campaign animations always reverted back to the default slow movement speed without the need to use a double spacebar.

Since I have not as yet played on the SHHIP098 battle map, or tried several different factions (using aragon at the moment), I'll let you know if it I see it across all aspects of my maps/factions, or isolated to just one particular aspect.

Is it possible I have missed/forgotten a game setting somewhere?
    Last edited by bweiss; December 24, 2022 at 06:38 PM.

@bweiss you only need to hit spacebar once and the speed goes down.
    try before moving any unit, hit spacebar once, then move it.
    this should work.

Quote Originally Posted by SkarinV View Post
    @bweiss you only need to hit spacebar once and the speed goes down.
    try before moving any unit, hit spacebar once, then move it.
    this should work.
    Hot dog! Thank you SkarinV. That's it. I've just used a mouse click to speed up the animations so much, and seldom if anytime used the space bar. It works as a toggle on/toggle off effect if used once "before" the character is chosen to move. (That part I never figured out). The mouse click not so much. It speeds it up if already set to slow, but not if the speed setting is already fast (will not slow it down), so it stays at the speed already set as an over ride to the mouse click. (I have no idea what all the double spacebar suggestions over on steam are about)? None of that worked for me.

Anyway, appreciate it. Good bunch of folks in here. All is well with the world again. ~Salute
    Last edited by bweiss; December 25, 2022 at 11:38 AM.

Alrighty now, I dug into the default campaign speed issue a bit and while the space bar satisfies the slow down of animations on the campaign map, it still results in a default of fast speed on the next save file load or new game. The default animation speed on campaign map movement for SSHIP098 is set to fast. And I wanted slow. The difference for those interested, is that while using the space bar as normal in SSHIP098 to slow down the animations works, it reverts right back to fast (on my install), whenever I reload a save game including a quick save, or quit the game and restart. And the double tap/space bar does not work at all with the fast default setting.

For someone wanting slow speed out of the gate each loaded save, it causes me to have to reload all the time when forgetting to hit the space bar first before moving someone.

The SSHIP098 "configuration.cfg" file in the mods root folder contain a lot of, well configurations, for the mod. One of which sets the campaign map animation speed to fast on loading a save or starting a game. The setting is in the [game] section, and looks like this:

campaign_map_speed_up = true # Automatically speed up characters movements on strategic map - (true/false)

To set SSHIP098 to a default slow speed for campaign map animations, just change the setting of "true" to "false".

Then upon initial load of a campaign, or quick save, etc., it will default start campaign map movements at slow speed. Use of the mouse left click or space bar, will speed it up but on a character by character basis defaulting back to slow for the next character move. Additionally, hitting the space bar twice,"if" the default is set to slow (false), works as a toggle on/toggle off. Causing all campaign map movements to use fast speed. To then revert back to slow as the default for any movement, hit the space bar again just once. And back to slow default you go. Otherwise, it will now start at slow speed upon the next reloaded save.

It's always the little things...
    Last edited by bweiss; December 29, 2022 at 07:51 PM.

Hello, I have a problem with running SSHIP 0.98 on my Mac. I use the M1 Mac and when I started a new campaigning (I have a Steam version of M2TW), the load is longer and then the game goes to crash. With the SSHIP 0.97 was it good (the game crashes a lot, but it works). Can I solve this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by xentoo View Post
    Hello, I have a problem with running SSHIP 0.98 on my Mac. I use the M1 Mac and when I started a new campaigning (I have a Steam version of M2TW), the load is longer and then the game goes to crash. With the SSHIP 0.97 was it good (the game crashes a lot, but it works). Can I solve this problem?
    Me, I have no experience running the SSHIP on Mac, I'm sorry

Strange thing is, that I can play custom battles do you plan in the future release an .exe file of SSHIP?

Quote Originally Posted by xentoo View Post
    Strange thing is, that I can play custom battles do you plan in the future release an .exe file of SSHIP?
    Custom battles - I've got no idea, I've never tried playing them.
    exe - I don't think so.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

@xentoo : Usually when you can play the custom battles but not the campaigns, it means there is an error with the model_strat...but that can't be the case here since the 098 version was played by the other players.

The other idea would be a lack of memory allocated to the kingdoms.exe
    Indeed the campaign requires more resources, so much so that for some, the game simply crashes when they let tasks run in the background (like an internet browser for example).
    Maybe by using the Large Address Aware.exe software (into ...mods/SSHIP_098/) and targeting the game executable you will have access to the campaign ?

Default Re: [DOWNLOAD] SSHIP 0.98 version 2022/09/08

I have a question (this is my first mod installed for medieval 2): I installed the mod and can correctly launche it and get into the start menu, but whenever I try to either select early or high-late campaign, I just get a pop-up that I must select and item from some list. I don't know what to do, the only thing that came to mind was change the mod-folder name in the config-file to americas (as that is the way I start it) anyone got advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Tollspiller View Post
    I have a question (this is my first mod installed for medieval 2): I installed the mod and can correctly launche it and get into the start menu, but whenever I try to either select early or high-late campaign, I just get a pop-up that I must select and item from some list. I don't know what to do, the only thing that came to mind was change the mod-folder name in the config-file to americas (as that is the way I start it) anyone got advice?
    I you're able to launch the mod (ie you see the nice picture of the knights from 1346, and a nice letters SSHIP098) then the mod folders names cannot have any impact. I'd rather guess you might have not run the mod properly (then - check the download instructions and run the mod - usually not using the Steam button, but the .bat file in the folder)

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I'd rather guess you might have not run the mod properly (then - check the download instructions and run the mod - usually not using the Steam button, but the .bat file in the folder)
    The only .bat file I can see is a Campaign_AI_switcher.bat which doesn't change anything if I run it, where can I find the start.bat?