Thread: Turn times - how to go from 1:43 to 00:32

Icon4 Turn times - how to go from 1:43 to 00:32

I use W10 and High end CPU (few years old but it's very stagnant market) and high end GPU.

I was about to uninstall, yesterday the turn times on my turn 25 felt extremly long. It felt like 5 minutes, I went to bed and next day wipped out stopwatch and measured. Turn took 1:43 (I swear it felt longer, maybe because I played many peaceful turns in a row and did almost nothing).

Next day I was playing around with various settings, in NVIDIA driver, *.exe options of medieval 2 when you bring the properties in explorer. I realised when I copied medieval2.exe and renamed to kingomds.exe the w7 compatibilitywasn't applied to that as well. But after trying various combinations that doesn't seem to matter. Tried XP compatability, that improved turn times, but somehow caused me fps problems.

In the end I was like... you know what I just return to default anything I have in nvidia driver and disable all compatability edits and realised my turn times were the shortest by FAR. 32seconds. This sounds too good to be true so I ask do you think the scripts doesn't work or something without compatibility?

I made sure I removed compatibility from all .exe, kingomds, med2, and steel mod exe. Turn time 32s, restarted PC to be sure. Again 32s. I clicked end turn few times, I was still getting mod's event tutorial messages and things like -1000g for marriage events. They seem to work.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; October 06, 2022 at 04:27 PM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Huge discovery, my turn times went from 1:43 to 00:32 (yes 3x shorter) on W10, sounds too good to be true. Does not setting w7 compatatibility break scripts?

Turn times on my middle-aged comp (2015) is between 30 and 40 sec., at times up to 50 sec.
    I don't think the compatibility mode would impact on anything.

opaxite's Avatar Foederatus

I actually observed the same thing as @BrutusCZ described, just the other way around. I turned on the Windows 7 compatibility and the time between turns got significantly longer, at least twice as long. But I had a lot of CTDs before, and after the compatibility, not a single CTD.

Btw, I have a similar configuation, Windows 10 with high-end CPU and GPU.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; February 03, 2023 at 04:27 AM. Reason: posts merged

Default Re: Huge discovery, my turn times went from 1:43 to 00:32 (yes 3x shorter) on W10, sounds too good to be true. Does not setting w7 compatatibility break scripts?

Yes, strange. I played for few hours today with default compatibility (unchecked box) and turn times are much better, basically same as you describe, it's completly different experience and I am having much more fun. I don't know why on W10 setting any compatibility would have such a drastic impact on turn times, in my case they were 3x longer, everything else works without issues for now, didn't crash yet and I crashed with w7 compatibility 2 times in 25 turns anyway. Maybe there something going under the hood when selecting it, possibly intel cpu issue (mine Intel i7-8700K), maybe compatibility setting disables some feature of modern CPUs to ensure stability, who knows. I read few complains extremly long AI turns and now I probably undertand why there aren't many threads, it simply doesn't happens to everyone and I suspect it has to be vanilla issue, it's just way more noticable with a mod.

Hopefully those who find themselves in same situation find this thread and maybe it will help them, I play steam version and I used program LargeAdressAware that allows game to use more than 4GB and now I realised... I didn't use it on kingdoms.exe as well, only on medieval2.exe ... - just did that and doesn't seems to impact turn times (still playing with compatibility unchecked).

I possibly confused some people with my initial post, I was rambling like mad man, but post in post above I tried to be clear.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by BrutusCz View Post
    I possibly confused some people with my initial post, I was rambling like mad man, but post in post above I tried to be clear.
    No problem, man. I'll edit the title of your post so that it'll be useful for the other players in the future.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Default Re: Turn times - how to go from 1:43 to 00:32

It seems to me that the impact of the compatibility setting depend strongly on two things:
    - the hardware you have
    - if you enabled LAA

So the best is for each player to experiment on his particular set up.
    Personally I play with LAA and no compatibility, on a recent laptop with Ryzen 5 cpu and embarked graphic, and it also takes around 30s.
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Default Long turns time

Hello. I am facing an issue, where even in the first turns of the game, it takes too long for a new turn to come.

Each function takes an amount of time, before the game proceeds to the next one and take action.

I have a beast of a rig, with RX 9000XT and an 5950X cpu. I don't think it's a hardware issue, rather an internal one from the mod.

I would like to ask, what needs to be changed, so it can load the next turn faster.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Long turns time

Quote Originally Posted by asapas View Post
    Hello. I am facing an issue, where even in the first turns of the game, it takes too long for a new turn to come.

Each function takes an amount of time, before the game proceeds to the next one and take action.

I have a beast of a rig, with RX 9000XT and an 5950X cpu. I don't think it's a hardware issue, rather an internal one from the mod.

I would like to ask, what needs to be changed, so it can load the next turn faster.

Thanks in advance
    From my experience, I managed to solve this issue, from waiting 1:30 minutes per turn to almost less than 30 seconds per turn, and it was that I had an old version of the game (pc disk format), I had to download medieval 2 total war from Steam, and it was great! it adapted to my most modern computer and now it runs much smoother!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    From my experience, I managed to solve this issue, from waiting 1:30 minutes per turn to almost less than 30 seconds per turn, and it was that I had an old version of the game (pc disk format), I had to download medieval 2 total war from Steam, and it was great! it adapted to my most modern computer and now it runs much smoother!
    I have the Steam version

well to try to help we need a bit more info:
    - what is the turn time exactly, mesured with a timer?
    - did you apply compatibility setting?
    - did you use LAA or 4GB patch?
    - do you launch as admin?

med2 is old so it doesn't always make a good use of modern hardware.
    Also there is a lot of scripts in SSHIP, you have to be ready for turn times around 30 sec minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    well to try to help we need a bit more info:
    - what is the turn time exactly, mesured with a timer?
    - did you apply compatibility setting?
    - did you use LAA or 4GB patch?
    - do you launch as admin?

med2 is old so it doesn't always make a good use of modern hardware.
    Also there is a lot of scripts in SSHIP, you have to be ready for turn times around 30 sec minimum.

- It's around 1 min (with some things happening like battles in between etc, which I auto resolved)
    - I don't know what compatibility setting is. You mean in the file like compatibility as Win7 application?
    - I applied LAA
    - I am launching the game through a .bat file ( I don't find anything else to launch it) , so it doesn't have an admin function. However, I have set both medieval.exe and kingdoms.exe to launch as admin

1: 1 min is big, but maybe if you have the option to follow AI armies activated, and the animations are not sped up, that could explain it.
    2: yes that's what I meant. Some find that applying some compatibility setting to kingdom.exe makes the game smoother, other don't, best is to try for yourself
    3: that's good!
    4: yes that is the recommended way to launch the mod, and applying admin rights to both exes is good.

Hope it helps!

How do I de-activate the first option????

Either when creating a new game in the in-game option menu. Iirc it is in the "gameplay" submenu?

you mean the follow AI movement???

Yes, exactly!

ook thank you very much!