Thread: How do I make a Roman mercenary unit a Foreigner instead of a Plebe?

Default How do I make a Roman mercenary unit a Foreigner instead of a Plebe?

There's a single Roman mercenary unit that is recruited from the Plebian class while all the other mercenaries come from the Foreigner class.

I'd like to change it so that unit is a foreigner too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
    "whatchutalkinboutwillis!?"

Whos Willis?

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: How do I make a Roman mercenary unit a Foreigner instead of a Plebe?

1) first you need to understand what is the unit_key of that specific merc units, for doing that it usually is useful to search it through loc (text) stuff

2) once you found the key, you go to: script > lib > manpower > units
    it's a lua file and collects variables inside a tale so to be used inside core pop scripts

first line is: ["_test_dummy"] = { 3, 100, 100 },
    "_test_dummy" = unit_key
    "3" = pop class (1 is top class, 4 is foreigner)
    "100" = pop removed when recruited
    "100" = pop collected when disbanded

3) it's also advised to build a mod pack that will contain only that script, with your modifications, and load it above other DeI packs
    pay attention not to do typos, scripting requires that every letter or symbol is placed correctly, otherwise it may kill the entire pop system (you'll notice if you don't get pop tooltips anymore)
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; October 02, 2022 at 05:42 AM.

Default Re: How do I make a Roman mercenary unit a Foreigner instead of a Plebe?

Thanks for the reply!

I've never modded the game or any game so I really don't know what I'm doing. I found some tutorials on YouTube that I'll try to figure out.

What topic would this be under? The tutorials are broken down by topics (i.e. AoR, Mercenaries, replacing Vanilla units, creating custom units, etc)...I don't expect you to be familiar with the videos, but I was wondering what general aspect of modding this would be related to?

I would get lost/confused trying to learn everything from the start since I just want to make a small change.

Thanks again for the reply!

Whos Willis?

Patrician

download rpfm, it's a tool that permits you to mod the game

Releases: https://github.com/Frodo45127/rpfm/releases
    Tutorial: https://tw-modding.com/index.php/Tut...FM_For_Dummies

I currently have PFM v5.2.4

The link you provided is that for Rome 2 or Warhammer 2? I'm trying to edit Rome 2.

The tutorial also says it was outdated when it was written and the part that talks about how to find specific units is vague. The person says to ask someone in a forum or to find it yourself. In other words, it didn't help at all.

The in-game name for the unit I'm trying to change is Italici Milites Mercennarii. I believe it's based on the Italian Swordsman from Vanilla.

When I search DeI_Land_Units I found two units: Ita_Sword and Merc_Ita_Samnite_Warriors. Is that the unit_key you were talking about? I don't know if either of those is the unit I am looking for. How do I determine when I've found the right unit_key?

Also, I've looked in/opened both DeI Part 1.pack and data_Rome2.pack but neither of them have 'Manpower' after Scripts > lib

Do I have the wrong PFM?

Lastly, if I ever find the unit can't I just change the '2' to '4?' Do I really have to create my own mod just for that? I'm struggling just to find the right place to edit, I'm pretty confident I can change a 2 to 4 and save without making a mistake...but creating a mod pack and loading it above other packs...I don't even know what that means.

Whos Willis?

Patrician

rpfm works for every warscape game

if you're searching for a merc unit with the Italici Milites Mercennarii loc name then the unit is this one

["MERC_Ita_Mercenary_Swordsmen"] = { 2, 200, 200 },

it's a 2nd class, you wanna make it 4th, so write this

["MERC_Ita_Mercenary_Swordsmen"] = { 4, 200, 200 },

----

never mod directly dei packs, always build a new pack and put inside what you need
    it's extremly easy to do that, you just open rpfm, make a new pack, right click on unknown and start adding what you need
    the path here is Scripts > lib > Manpower > units.lua

ps. that file usually change with every update, always update it once a new version or fix is released

here is the pack modded to 4
    load it above dei

https://www.mediafire.com/file/npezp...orte.pack/file

Thank you for all of your help!

So, do I have a different PFM than the one you're talking about? I have 'Pack File Manager 5.2.4' is that different from the 'rpfm' you're talking about? In case I try to make another change, I should at least have the right program.

Thanks again, especially for making the change!

Whos Willis?

Patrician

pfm and rpfm is basically the same stuff and you can do what you need with both (if you have updated pfm schemata)

rpfm is just better about anything, quicker, more stable, with search functions and other useful things