Thread: Which bands/artists did you grow up with?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Which bands/artists did you grow up with?

That's a bit of a wide question I know, and one never really stops growing... so what bands/artists do you grow up with till today? Which of them have really represented something for you?

As for me:

I was I think 8 or 9 when I was stricken by the Queen, it was really love at first sight (or hearing in this case ) and as of today I still love them and often listen to them (my daughter really likes them, so we often listen to them in the car). As I grew up I moved more into 60's and 70's rock: first band who did catch me on that panorama was the Led Zeppelin (of course), soon coupled by the Deep Purple. From there I actually moved backward rather than forward, and ended up being engaged with the Beatles (in my 15s less or more) and Elvis and Hendrix soon after.

By the time I was 18 or so, I met the band that really switched my musical tastes towards something harder, the Black Sabbath. Both because of music and lyrics this has been my main band, hands down. Following up I slowly slipped into the 70's and 80's harder rock and metal, with bands like Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Motorhead, Van Halen, etc). About the same period I started to listen to Metallica, Megadeth, Guns&Roses, Manowar (not very much back then), and the like. Nirvana have a special place in this period, and I still have moments that I dedicate to them exclusively. Around my 30s I moved into more modern bands, such as the System of a Down, the LimpBizkit or the Korn.

Last finding of my 35 years old career of rock fan are the Tool, really a band which is perfect for my maturity.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Which bands/artists did you grow up with?

Hmm, good question. I think the first band I ever cared for was Muse. Afterwards I took an interest in rock music in general so I started listening to a lot of relatively older stuff. Guns n' Roses was my favorite band in my teen years, I remember hearing the singer's scratchy wail and being completely floored. To this day I think Axl Rose is one of the most unique voices in the genre. Then it was Zeppelin, but my late teenage years had The Who provide the soundtrack, so to speak. Pete Townshend makes very interesting chord choices and he is a master song-writer. Really good stuff, and possibly rivaling the Beatles in terms of breaking new ground. In uni I became obsessed with country music, having discovered it through the Stones (who also introduced me to the blues), and specifically the outlaw movement (Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson et al.).

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

The first memories I have of music I listened (as in music I chose myself, not the music I listened to via my parents) was techno. I had to be maybe 11-12 years old then. My musical tastes were not fully committed though. What I liked at that time was a mixture of 60's, 70's, 80's music, music that my parents listened (the likes of the Beatles, Queen, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac, The Police, ...) and of music popular in the end 90's begin 00's and then as I mentioned some electronic music.

My "journey" into music though really only started when I was 14 and I played Black Sabbath's "Children of the Grave" on Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock. The song enamoured me like nothing else ever had and soon I was hooked to their entire discography (with Ozzy, stuff with Dio is good but failed to deliver the same dark and sinister vibe as Sabbath with Ozzy; In the words of my father "Sabbath is Ozzy"). From there the journey, not only musically but for me as a person, truly began. After I showed interest in the genre my dad, who is a hardrocker, showed me several bands like Saxon, Scorpions, Accept, Girls' School, Thin Lizzy, to name a few. Though I quite like the hard rock genre I quickly ramped it up to speedrock/speedmetal which brought me to the first album of Blind Guardian called "Battalions of Fear". If Sabbath is number 1 then Blind Guardian is a close second in importance to me. The beauty of Blind Guardian is that they are a versatile band. They always make something unique. They started as a speedmetal/thrash metal band, then became one of the greatest power metal bands in the world and afterwards adopted a more progressive metal stance where they reside to this day. I could go on for hours on how much this band's music means to me and how it shaped me during my somewhat troubled high school years but that's beyond the scope of this post. This period in my life was mostly filled with music from Sabaton, Powerwolf, Blind Guardian, Angel Dust and several smaller power metal bands I've sadly forgotten.

When I reached the age of 17 I really started experimenting with harder stuff. I went into thrash metal with bands like Megadeth, Exodus, Kreator, Overkill, Sepultura, Sodom taking the forefront. It was at that time I was also introduced to punk which suited my aggressive and destructive personality at that time. Fast, aggressive and loud was the order of the day then. I quickly added deathmetal to the mix starting with the more melodic kind (Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Dismember, Children of Bodom)and then shifting to the more traditional deathmetal like Death and doing a forray into Black Metal with Immortal. By the end of my teens I was fully engrossed in the "brutal" stuff having almost forgotten about the "softer" stuff that preceded it. Honorable mention is the genre of crossover thrash. Still one of my favourites.

In my early 20's, through some friends, I was introduced to nu-metal, something that in large part passed me by before that point (except for some Linkin Park, System of a Down) and more importantly metalcore. Bands like Parkway Drive, Wage War, Stick To Your Guns, As I Lay Dying, While She Sleeps, Bury Tomorrow. It brought an end to the all-out aggressive music and it really helped me with opening up to my emotions instead of channeling everything through rage and destruction. Metalcore bands still had that "brutal" element but it brought emotion into the chorus that touched and softened my heart. My new friends were also a great help in this "softening" for which I remain, always, immensely grateful. Going to Jera On Air, a hardcore, punk and metalcore festival, (re-)introduced me to an old flame and two new ones. It remains to this day my favourite festival.

From this point things become more mixed as we are nearing the present. Suffice to say that growth in all previous genres continued and continues as I easily switch between all of them. It's not a surprise to get a playlist where a folk metal party song is followed by pig-squelling grindcore. Latest additions to the oevre are (in no particular order of favor nor genre): Feuerschwanz, Hypocrisy, Amaranthe, Jinjer, Electric Callboy, Fever 333, Crypta, Knocked Loose. We'll have to wait perhaps 10 years to see who of them would make the cut if I retell this story. Only time will tell.

Now I hear you say "Is metal the only genre you listen to?" to which I must say no. Though metal has shaped me like no other genre ever has I do love other music. Folk is something I absolutely adore and I listened to the Dubliners all throughout my life and to Katastroof, which is an Antwerp folk band. Bands like The Doors and Pink Floyd I find phenomenal and incomparable to anything else. You can also find me partying on most 80's, 90's and 00's pop without a doubt. Some classical pieces of music have a special place in my heart but progress in that direction is slow, though once in a while I find gems that make their way to my ears regularly. Scores of movies and video games is also a large part of what I listen to on a regular basis (think of Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings, Hans Zimmer's almost everything, Jeff Van Dyck's Total War, ...).

That's kinda it. The history of my music life so far (and a bit of my personal life since it's so interwoven with it). Let's hope we can add a lot more to it.

Peace and love for all music enjoyers out there! Would love to hear about your stories.

PS: One day I hope to own one of those suits that Ozzy wore during his time with Sabbath
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Honorable mentions because I couldn't find a defining place to put them in but bands that also made a lot of difference are

Rammstein
    Bloodhound Gang
    Carcass
    Gojira
    Bullet For My Valentine
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Pariah
    Helloween
    Suicidal Tendencies
    and many more

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

My musical taste started with 15. Nothing special at this time, mainly Queen, Dire Straits, Deep Purple, but also Sting/The Police, Midnight Oil, Status Quo. I guess i was Rock focussed at that time

With 18 i got wilder and more rebellious with Metallica, Megadeth, Guns N Roses, Sepultura, Warlock with Doro but mostly i heard Alternative at that time Bush, Pearl Jam, Rage against the Machine, H-Blockx, Radiohead ("Creep"), Placebo, Ugly Kid Joe, Soul Asylum, Green Jelly, Clawfinger, Rammstein.

Very influential was Sisters of Mercy and Type 0 Negative for me, although i didn't realised it fully at that time, that i'm Goth. I always favoured black cloths.

With 25/26 i gone full metal again on Wacken and Bang your head festival with Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motörhead. But also fell in love with Symphonic Metal like Nightwish, Within Temptation...

And finally with 28/29 i found out, that i'm Goth, ever was and ever will be. ^^ I dived into the vast region of Gothic music with Gothic and Doom Metal aka Paradise Lost, Moonspell, Tiamat, Katatonia, Theatre of Tragedy; Folk Rock/Metal Faun, Schandmaul, Saltatio Mortis, Corvus Chorax... ; Industrial/EBM/Aggrotec with Agonoise, SITD, Wumpscut and many others styles like Dark Wave (Silke Bischoff...).

And from then i stayed at the Goth Music scene. And every year i discover new good Goth and Metal Bands.

Like the last 2-3 years Crypta, Cobra Spell, Burning Witches, Solstafir.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; October 18, 2022 at 09:33 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

...music that my parents I listened (the likes of the Beatles, Queen, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac, The Police, ...)

Never mind Barclay James Harvest and Supertramp, Gary Moore, Thin Lizzy.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 19, 2022 at 08:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Supertramp!
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

I was "autistically" focused on classical music until I reached the age of 15-17. It took some time until I started to resonate with pop and whatever my friends dragged me into at the time and it was of course a lot of fun. I learned that I'm pretty much open to anything that doesn't resemble simply loud and unaesthatic noise. But classical music never really left me, it's still my main thing. Boring, I know...

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by swabian View Post
    I was "autistically" focused on classical music until I reached the age of 15-17. It took some time until I started to resonate with pop and whatever my friends dragged me into at the time and it was of course a lot of fun. I learned that I'm pretty much open to anything that doesn't resemble simply loud and unaesthatic noise. But classical music never really left me, it's still my main thing. Boring, I know...
    Nah dude. Classical music is a huge genre with so much diversity and complexity. It also slaps hard at times; like Tsjaikovsky's Marche Slave for instance. That is heavier than some of metal songs I know. Classical music is a lot but boring? I don't believe so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Nah dude. Classical music is a huge genre with so much diversity and complexity. It also slaps hard at times; like Tsjaikovsky's Marche Slave for instance. That is heavier than some of metal songs I know. Classical music is a lot but boring? I don't believe so.
    I don't believe it either. My father was a huge fan of classic music, so had my good share of it. Some is actually gorgeous, and attending to live concerts it's something.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

They have one of those classical gardens in Hannover, Germany - in summer evenings they play Händel's fireworks music and set off a firework from that period, a sight (and sound) to behold.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 20, 2022 at 06:25 AM.