Thread: What Is The Math Behind Battle Mechanics?

Default What Is The Math Behind Battle Mechanics?

I am completely stumped on how "Melee Attack" and "Melee Defense" work. I've only found a few posts that describe the math behind how stats work but the hard part is knowing which equation is right?! As almost every post says stats work differently. I understand Melee Attack and Melee Defense raise and lower your chance to make a hit. I'm wondering if we know EXACTLY how it works? I'm also very curious about how all the other stats work, but for now these two are the ones I'm most interested in. (This is for Rome 2) Thank you <3

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: What Is The Math Behind Battle Mechanics?

no, no one knows exactly how they work, neither CA guys
    modders build their stuff through empiric tests and other people reasoning

here is a recent CA guy post from a technical modding discord channel

Melee is mostly confined by kv_rules and melee_weapons. So you have the min, base and max hit chances in kv_rules. The base chance is then modified by melee attack of units and melee defence, so melee attack - defence (both melee and shield) + base hit chance = total chance. This % is then used to check every time an attack is completed to see if it hits. If it hits, then we need to see if it does damage. Armour value defines both the amount of damage that can be blocked and the % chance of blocking the damage. I forget the exact formula right now but I'm sure it can be found.

Charges then add additional melee attack defined by the value, and also multiply both base and armour piercing damage of the weapon used by the unit. This effect only lasts a short time during the charge itself. This is defined in kv_rules also (at least in Rome 2 and Attila, I don't think its in 3K, but I could be wrong).

Missile combat uses the spread and calibration area of a missile weapon to determine the spread of the projectiles over an area. If a projectile hits, it can be deflected if the unit has missile block chance from shields (but only in the front 90 degrees or so, this can be defined in 3K, but again not sure if this can be defined in Rome 2/Attila, it's been a while for me). Once the projectile hits and isn't deflected, once again it uses base + ap damage vs armour just like melee damage. In Attila and Rome 2 you'll notice there is an issue with the entities having multiple HP and as such you'll run into situations where the HP of each entity is drained by missile fire but not enough to kill an entity. After some time of missile fire (because damage is applied relatively evenly across the unit) you'll then get large amounts of casualties mounting up.
    This is no longer an issue in 3K because HP is defined by composed entity groups (pretty much HP is shared across the unit and not defined per entity, so no matter how damage is applied, you won't get entities tanking damage across the entire unit)

+ an attila link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=570444181

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: What Is The Math Behind Battle Mechanics?

new video from Kam about this subject

Deep dive into what melee attack, melee defence and hit chance actually do in Rome 2 and how to read such unit stats properly. Hope this clears some stuff up!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Ih26KMiQc