Thread: [SSHIP - England] The Plantagenet Princes

Default [SSHIP - England] The Plantagenet Princes

THE PLANTAGENET PRINCE - THE THIRD CRUSADE

As King Henry Plantagenet sits upon the throne of Britannia in London, Conqueror of Ireland, he seeks the support of Pope Innocent to crown him as King of Britannia after the Scottish and Irish conquests. In return for the crown of Britain, King Henry sent his younger brother Prince Jacob off to attend the Third Crusade in support of the Pope. In the 1160's the Crusader States wrote and requested help to the Pope due to the increasing power of the Fatimid Caliph and capture of Jerusalem in 1160 by the Caliph himself. In the next following two years preparations were set by the Pope for a Crusade in the Holy lands to help relieve pressure from the Crusader states and recapture Jerusalem. King Henry responded to the call of arms by the Pope, In 1164, Prince Jacob, set sail from Toulouse to the Holy Lands, arriving on the shores of Tripoli. The Prince took his army East of Tripoli and besieged Damascus, and surrounded the city, assembling a battering ram as well as siege towers.

In fears of Muslim reinforcements arriving, Prince Jacob commanded his army to storm the walls and take the city by force. On the morning of October Third, 1164 the Crusaders readied to the cross the walls of Damascus. The siege towers pushed forward by the Crusading army, as they approached the walls all that responded was light arrow fire alas the Crusaders pressed on. Once the siege tower mounted the wall and the ramp dropped, instead of being met with fierce screams and roars they were met with petty town militia whom most of ran away from the crusaders. As the crusaders entered the city some units attempted to repeal them in the streets, they were butchered down by the crusaders. The gates were busted open and the Prince entered the city on horse back, watching as his men looted and burned the city. The army busted through the streets, entering homes, temples, and stores taking whatever they wished. Almost four hours of looting took place in the city once the walls were breached. After hours went by, Prince Jacob rallied his crusading army on the market square before marching to the Great Mosque of Damascus.

Once arriving at the Mosque, Prince Jacob delivered a zealot driven speech outside the Mosque speaking of the Crusades 'Road to the Holy City'. After the speech went on for about ten minutes, it was ended by the crusaders kicking open the doors of the Mosque. Once inside the crusading army began looting the Mosque of all valuables and items, this carried on for over three hours before the Mosque, built in 715, was caught on fire and destroyed. After a day of burning, the Mosque was left in a pile of rubble.

A young Prince Jacob Plantagenet, shortly after conquering Damascus. He is the youngest son in the Plantagenet family, often regarded as arrogant and stupid however a seemingly handsome young man. Unlike his older brothers he was left to his own devices and was often to get in trouble. Sometimes it said that King Henry sent his younger brother on a Crusade just to get rid of him from the Royal Court. Others suspect he was sent to the Crusade due to him sleeping with the Duke of York's wife, a rumor that was frequently told in the Royal Court.

In a page taken from the Prince's personally diary, he describes the feeling of storming Damascus as he writes "When we approached the walls I had a sense of fear seeing battle for the first time, however when we took the walls and entered the city I felt like a King. However, there is a long road ahead to the Holy City. I cannot await to return to Britain as a hero."

Please note this is my first AAR, and my attempt to showcase my role playing in the mod SSHIP following the rise of the Plantagenets as Kings of England and in my case as the rulers of a unified Britain.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: [SSHIP - England] The Plantagenet Princes

Welcome to TWC and the Writers' Study!

This is a great start for your AAR. I particularly like the way that you introduce Prince Jacob both from the perspective of others (zealous, arrogant and foolish) and from his own point of view (a hero bravely conquering his own fear as well as his enemies). I'm looking forward to seeing where your SSHIP campaign will go from here.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Hi @Dustinius,
    I'm looking forward to your AAR! Keep my fingers crossed for you experience, England should be a good faction to play! I think you know the TWC webpage with the information on the mod's technicalities - you're welcome to voice your opinions and advices. Upload a save as well!
    cheers
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

THE SIEGE OF AKKA

As the Prince fortified Damascus, in the West an army of infidels besieged the crusader holding of Akka. Early in the spring a Fatamid army advanced north from Jerusalem, besieging Akka. Rumors began to travel from word of traders and merchants of the large Arab army, not long before word arrived to the Prince. A messenger appeared before the Prince at the court, in an exhausted and worried voice he said "M'lord, the castle is besieged to the West! We have not enough men to hold them off, we require your assistance!" As military commanders and advisors began to quickly gossip through the court in Damascus on the right move, the young Prince Jacob demanded silence. Military advisors pleaded with the Prince to march West to help relieve the crusaders of the attacking Arab army, however Jacob thought differently. He refused to march his army to help the crusaders and demanded his men to begin fortifying Damascus and ready defenses for an attack by the Arab army. As he and his army sat by idly, the Fatimid army stormed the castle of Akka. It was by no means a fight, and more of a slaughter as the Arab army butchered the defending crusaders, swiftly taking the city and gaining ground on the Levant.

As smoke set in the West from the captured city the crusaders began to worry about the true power of the Fatimid Caliphate. The Caliph promised to create a unified Caliphate stretching from Spain to the Middle East, following the swift capture of the Levant by Arab forces. As things began to look gloomy for the English crusaders, the prince worrisomely planned his next move from his stronghold in Damascus. The military staff rumored the Prince was up all night and morning long, pacing back and forth in his chambers muttering to himself. Military commanders began to get worried about the campaign and the competence of the Prince himself.

THE WEDDING OF PRINCE JOHN

Prince John Plantagenet was fourteen years old upon his introduction to the Royal Court of England, as well as his marriage to his twenty seven year old aunt. Oldest son of King Henry and heir apparent to the throne of Britain, John Plantagenet, Prince of Britain and Wales married his aunt Edmugene at the age of fourteen. His father, mother as well as the Dukes of England attended the Royal wedding. Upon arrival all subjects paid tribute to their future King in forms of gold and gifts. While the wedding was set up by John's father King Henry, it is said that the wedding was arranged due to John's aunts experience in the royal courts of Europe as well as her understanding of the royal court. Edmugene was highly regarded as Charming, Beautiful, Wise and Charming. As John would be the first to inherit a kingdom or rather an Empire of a unified Britain, leading it would be no easy task. John was highly recognized as an intelligent individual since a young age, the two despite the nearly thirteen year age difference was lethal in the courts of Britain.

Prince John Plantagenet and his wife Edmugene Plantagenet.

As John stepped to the altar with his new wife, the Duke of York Eustace de Blois ran late. As his carriage sped down the road toward London, he exclaimed "Damnit, someone should have replaced that wheel hours ago!" as sweat dripped down his forehead. The Duke Eustace was considered a man of honor, a long time governor of Northumbria, he was well respected by his people and peers. However, he was also a known conspirator against the royal family, as was the rest of the de Blois family. The music in the church filled the stone walls, as hymns were sung and the young Prince John was married before god to his new wife. Cheers and applauses echoed through the church, while the carriage wheels continued turning the dark forest of England. The Duke's tripped seemed to be taking longer than normal, he shouted "You idiot, you must have taken a wrong turn! London is just an evening's trip to the South!" The cloaked peasant looked back with a confused looked before saying "Must have, me lord!" That's when the carriage wheels stopped turning, the horses stopped moving. All of a sudden the trip seemed to be over, especially for the Duke. As the carriage stopped, a group of cloaked men descended from the woods. A hail of arrow fire came down upon the Duke, before the cloaked peasant revealed a dagger, stabbing the Duke in the stomach. The group ran off shortly after, it was said he was found dead in the woods almost a day later. It was rumored the group was actually agents from the royal court, sent by King Henry.

The Duke of York, Eustace de Blois

Guy Howard, considered to be a high ranking spy master during the reign of King Henry.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

First AAR? A momentous occasion! Welcome to the Writers' Study Dustinius!

As Alwyn and Jurand before me have said. A good start and idea for an AAR. Excited to see where you'll take us.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Good update! King Henry sounds ruthless, I wonder if the action he took against the Duke of York will end the conspiracy by the de Blois family, or stir up the other conspirators to be more active.