Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this still happen in some armies in the world?

Default Does this still happen in some armies in the world?

I watched the BAND OF BROTHERS series. And if you see the first episode, the Easy company leader checks his men while they are in formation. Some of them commit infractions ( minor ones ). Then he decides that everyone's weekend pass ( that is a permission that soldiers have for spending the weekend at their homes or wherever they wanted outside the base ) is canceled despite some men didn't do anything wrong.
    Does that still happen in some countries' armies nowadays? That a whole platoon or company is punished ( like not allowing them to have their weekend pass ) because of a few men's fails or infractions.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Does this still happen in some armies in the world?

Yes, it absolutely still happens.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

That's the base on which discipline is built up and enforced
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Did any of you ever serve in the army by any chance?

Blog Entries

I did, but not in war ofc. I was just a regular levi on a regular regiment, tough I served as a reserve officer cadet (since I was already a graduate) and enjoyed my time very much after the initial mandatory 6 weeks training.

What you're talking about is pretty commonly seen in what we would call the "special regiments" such as the Folgore Paratroopers or the Navy raiders. In those regiments they apply the strictest discipline and there's no time at all for fun, jokes or whatever. I remember well a case: it was an interforce drill, we were on the ground as the regular Army and the guys from the Folgore had to do some drops in specific areas, then reach some specific targets and later we would join them as regular infantry. Well one of those groups did arrive late, because during the drop one of the lads (the machine-gunner actually) broke his ankle: the procedure requires that the rest of the team has to drag the wounded member to the target location with all his equipment in perfect conditions and in time with the schedule.
    As I said they did arrive late, like less than 1 hour (it's was a 3 days mission for them, so I really think they managed to make a miracle to be there with only less than one hour of delay), but well their commanding officer (a mothering Captain) did immediately put them in punishment so that to prevent them to partake in the second part of the drill, because he not only wanted to punish them afterwards, but also wanted to shame them to the upmost level by not allowing them to complete the mission.

This is the kind of pressure those lads (20ish) have to deal with, no surprise that most of them either quit or become crazy fanatical dudes.
    As for me I did have at the time the idea to remain in the Army as a Liaison Officer, after I saw that I just sent all of them to and went bowling.
    Last edited by Flinn; March 11, 2022 at 08:58 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Captain Sobel was a great trainer. He is part of the reason so many of easy company survived.

I watched the BAND OF BROTHERS series. And if you see the first episode, the Easy company leader checks his men while they are in formation. Some of them commit infractions ( minor ones ). Then he decides that everyone's weekend pass ( that is a permission that soldiers have for spending the weekend at their homes or wherever they wanted outside the base ) is canceled despite some men didn't do anything wrong.
    Does that still happen in some countries' armies nowadays? That a whole platoon or company is punished ( like not allowing them to have their weekend pass ) because of a few men's fails or infractions.
    Watch Jarhead for an accurate depiction of a modern day army.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

I did, but not in war ofc. I was just a regular levi on a regular regiment, tough I served as a reserve officer cadet (since I was already a graduate) and enjoyed my time very much after the initial mandatory 6 weeks training.

What you're talking about is pretty commonly seen in what we would call the "special regiments" such as the Folgore Paratroopers or the Navy raiders. In those regiments they apply the strictest discipline and there's no time at all for fun, jokes or whatever. I remember well a case: it was an interforce drill, we were on the ground as the regular Army and the guys from the Folgore had to do some drops in specific areas, then reach some specific targets and later we would join them as regular infantry. Well one of those groups did arrive late, because during the drop one of the lads (the machine-gunner actually) broke his ankle: the procedure requires that the rest of the team has to drag the wounded member to the target location with all his equipment in perfect conditions and in time with the schedule.
    As I said they did arrive late, like less than 1 hour (it's was a 3 days mission for them, so I really think they managed to make a miracle to be there with only less than one hour of delay), but well their commanding officer (a mothering Captain) did immediately put them in punishment so that to prevent them to partake in the second part of the drill, because he not only wanted to punish them afterwards, but also wanted to shame them to the upmost level by not allowing them to complete the mission.

This is the kind of pressure those lads (20ish) have to deal with, no surprise that most of them either quit or become crazy fanatical dudes.
    As for me I did have at the time the idea to remain in the Army as a Liaison Officer, after I saw that I just sent all of them to and went bowling.
    I think the reason why in the army they try to break you both psychological and physically is to toughen you up. And what about the weekend passes? Did they allow you and your comrades to have weekend passes? Were you and your platoon or company ever left without a weekend pass just because of a few men's infractions or fails?

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Yes and yes.

It's not a place to discuss reasoning or justice.

Also it's true conscript would make you grow up, because it's exactly what the worst of society is like - you learn to pretend, lie, deflect responsibilities and attacking others without being seeing so, and your superiors are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Yes and yes.

It's not a place to discuss reasoning or justice.

Also it's true conscript would make you grow up, because it's exactly what the worst of society is like - you learn to pretend, lie, deflect responsibilities and attacking others without being seeing so, and your superiors are always right.
    And as to punishing a whole platoon or company because of some men's fails or infractions, the reason could be for developing spirit of union among the platoon or company. It is just my guess lol

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by twgamer20197 View Post
    And as to punishing a whole platoon or company because of some men's fails or infractions, the reason could be for developing spirit of union among the platoon or company. It is just my guess lol
    That might work in war but we're only there because it'd be jail otherwise and for much longer, plus a permanent criminal record.

It's no different than compulsory prison time at gunpoint.

Blog Entries

I think the reason why in the army they try to break you both psychological and physically is to toughen you up. And what about the weekend passes? Did they allow you and your comrades to have weekend passes? Were you and your platoon or company ever left without a weekend pass just because of a few men's infractions or fails?
    It happened of course, but not to me. As I said I was a reserve officer, so I di not have "comrades" strictly speaking (the word comrades, which we translate into "camerata" proceeds from the word "camera" or bedroom, so technically speaking your comrades are those with whom you sleep with in the same room). Anyways, as I said, as an officer, no matter just a reserve, I had my own room and since we weren't at war I was not assigned to any unit in particular, but I was stationed at the Military District, were we spent our time annoying those who were coming to have the military medical examination (before being recruited). Or I did take the role of driver for one of the high officers (since I'm definitely a good driver), when they had to go somewhere, which usually meant I also had a meal offered by them. Also, I was still studying at the time (for my second degree), so whenever I could I did take a license because of that.

As I said above, I did enjoy very much my time in the Army

A little advice for people who are thinking about joining the army ( I think the advice should be relevant for any country's army ):
    I was never a military but my father was. And that's why I'm aware of this:
    You should never call a superior by his personal name when being there in the base or in deployment even if he and you are friends before you joined the army. The only exception when you can perhaps call your superior by his personal name ( assuming he and you know each other from years ago before you joined the army ) is when being outside work and alone with him but only if he allows you to do so.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; February 24, 2023 at 08:20 AM.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

No, this has never happened anywhere, anytime in any modern army.

Quote Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
    Do you refer to my first message? if so, maybe it doesn't happen nowadays. Maybe it happened in some armies in world war 2 time: everyone's weekend pass canceled because of a few men's infractions or failures.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Oh, snap! Drama!

Are we so sure it didn't happen at all during WWII, though? By the way, nice to see you around Niles, haven't seen a post of yours in a long time.

Do you refer to my first message? if so, maybe it doesn't happen nowadays.
    Niles was joking with you. I have served and I can confirm that it is still the foundation of military discipline. Not only is it extremely effective, but it also contributes to a sense mutual responsibility that militaries try to program soldiers into. In warfare, you can very easily die or be wounded because of carelessness of someone else, and I am sure those scenarios are much more likely today than they were in times of spear formations.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Collective punishment is how all armys in any time are built. It's done to build camaraderie and togetherness.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Collective punishment is how all armys in any time are built. It's done to build camaraderie and togetherness.
    Maybe in the Irish 'army'!

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Maybe in the Irish 'army'!
    The irish arny is 5 lads with half a tank with no fuel so id doubt that.

If you mean punishing a whole platoon or company by making them perform exercises such as push-ups or other type of exercises until getting them tired, that's normal in practically all armies in the world. But if you mean something else such as leaving everyone without the weekend pass, I don't know if that's common in many armies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast