Thread: Japan - Typhoon Nanmadol

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Japan - Typhoon Nanmadol

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-62952942

The gist: A historically bad typhoon is affecting parts of Japan. It has caused a lot of damage already but that's peanuts compared to what's coming. 9 million people, population the size of Austria or the USA state of Virginia, are ordered to evacuate. Local video footage shows roofs ripped off buildings and billboards toppled over.

OK, so... how the heck do you evacuate and move 9 million people through a storm, where flights are cancelled and people have already died in their cars after flooding?!
    Japan is a very ordered nation so I expect them to jump back from this like with Fukushima but this will still be a huge disruption, that will affect severely impact hundreds of thousands of people.

And you tell 8-9M people to evacuate. Where do you put them? Where are those countless people stay? Are there shelters for that number of people? It is doubtful.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: Japan - Typhoon Nanmadol

If there's a country on earth that is prepped to evacuate millions of people, it's Japan.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Through a storm of that magnitude?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

OK, so... how the heck do you evacuate and move 9 million people through a storm, where flights are cancelled and people have already died in their cars after flooding?!
    You don't - end of story. You have wait to long long to make the call so the time to do it is not enough in general (trying to avoid false alarm feedback for the next time). Lived through the Rita evacuation in Houston. And unless you had the ability to leave earlier than the cash and resources to crash well away you just sat in in traffic, or were lucky enough to be able to follow the track and still get off one way-ed evacuation routes to reverse your direction (and still had the gas to do so).

Technically that was only ~ 4 million people. But since I worked at the Texas school of public health at the time as research associate got to sit in a lot of after action examinations with free food... trenchant upshot one guy made is the drive from the Johnson Space center on the coast to down town Houston takes about 20-25 minutes at midnight. In normal rush hour gridlock that's a drive of 1-2 hours. No way no day no how you plan the evacuation corridors you can empty the city in a timely fashion given how late you have to wait to not make a mistake.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.