Thread: Sins of a Solar Empire 2

Default Sins of a Solar Empire 2

Finally they're making it!

Sins of a Solar Empire 2 is reaching for the stars
    For a lover of 4Xs who never quite got over the decline of real-time strategy, Sins of a Solar Empire was a panacea. It took most of what I adored about both strategy models and smooshed them together in an epic clash in space. It was a revelation that I expected to inspire imitators, but nearly 15 years on nobody else has attempted to replicate this extremely successful experiment. Thankfully, that's about to change. Sins of a Solar Empire 2 is coming.

Developer Ironclad Games has been thinking about this sequel for a long time. The last piece of Sins DLC came out in 2018, a decade after the base game launched, and while Ironclad didn't immediately start work on Sins 2 after that—development only began in earnest just over a year ago—discussions were already happening. The Minor Factions DLC wasn't just a last hurrah for Sins: it was a hint at the future of the series.

Anyone else been waiting for this?
    The Armenian Issue

Default Re: Sins of a Solar Empire 2

We'll see. I got SoSE: Rebellion for free and played it for some time. It wasn't bad, but lacked two things...first, campaign, and second, proper 3-D environment and better tactical management more dependent on formations and positioning than spamming special abilities. The full 3-D battles is an itch I've been unable to properly scratch since Homeworld 2...I hope Sins 2 will have that.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Wow, one of my favourite games, but I feared we would never see a sequel.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I like the sound of this game, and would be interested to find out more. As Sar1n said, a lot depends on how the campaign, 3D combat and tactical management are done.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

The original is still a very good game, despite coming out in 2008 it saw some development in terms of expansions and later small DLCs up til 2018. It had a big graphics and performance overhaul in 2017 too which means it has aged very well. I can't think of any other game that offers quite what it does. A little like Total War in combining both strategic and tactical play (although both are real-time in SoASE).

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

The first Sins game still stands up to this day - I played it only last year and had a blast.

If they can manage to surpass their previous work I am will be very pleased.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan