Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 098 : Mod is NOT RUNNING, what to do? (also crashes and other technical)

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Sorry I've had another issue as every time I go into the post battle screen the game crashes, I've already tried lowering my settings to the lowest possible level and it still crashes.

Try:
    - reinstall from scratch
    - apply the LAA patch that is in the sship folder

Also please sent us the log (that is in the log folder) when you have a crash.
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

I'm confused: I don't know how to change the resolution for my screenshots anymore. I'm trying to change the value to red below but it doesn't change anything. My screenshots remain in 1024x768... which is not enough for a precise image. Where do I go to edit my screenshots ?

[video]
    ### If you want to enable windowed mode, uncomment the following settings and adapt them to you screen resolution
    borderless_window=true
    windowed=true
    # battle_resolution = 1920 1200 # Resolution on the battle map - (h*w)
    # campaign_resolution = 1920 1200 # Resolution on the campaign map - (h*w)
    #tga_width=1920
    configuration.cfg in SSHIP_098

Icon2 Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    I'm confused: I don't know how to change the resolution for my screenshots anymore. I'm trying to change the value to red below but it doesn't change anything. My screenshots remain in 1024x768... which is not enough for a precise image. Where do I go to edit my screenshots ?

configuration.cfg in SSHIP_098
    You forgot to delete #
    It's supposed to be tga_width=1920

How do I start this mod? Whenever I start the launcher it just loads up regular med2.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

opaxite's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by RVFVS View Post
    How do I start this mod? Whenever I start the launcher it just loads up regular med2.
    Medieval2 instalation folder > Mods > SSHIP > there's a .bat file.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by RVFVS View Post
    Sometimes the .cfg file of the Steam installation may prevent loading up the mod. You need to find the solution on your comp for the mod's .cfg has the upper hand.

BTW - welcome, @RVFVS, it's rare to see somebody who posted over 14k messages. We are honoured to attract your attention. Give us a feedback when you manage to run the mod and see the content.

JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Sometimes the .cfg file of the Steam installation may prevent loading up the mod. You need to find the solution on your comp for the mod's .cfg has the upper hand.
    JoC
    It's not the CFG file of the main game - that one will always be overruled by entries in the mod's CFg file. Steam however has a custom launch option that overrules everything. It is not uncommon for modders to instruct using that option to start a mod, and it will override trying to start another mod.
    It can be found by right clicking the game in Steam's library and choose 'properties', simply empty it's content.

The most common problem however, eg 'main game starts instead of mod' is a simple matter of having installed the mod into the wrong directory (or changed the directory name) which causes the mod path in the CFG file to be invalid and thus defaulting to the main game.

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

My game consistently crashes turn after turn. After I end turn it goes for a bit then CTD. I load the autosave, end turn goes fine. Next turn it crashes again after ending turn. This has been a consistent problem I've had with this version. 0.97 also had this but lots of other crashes too from battles and sieges.

Quote Originally Posted by NotZaran5 View Post
    My game consistently crashes turn after turn. After I end turn it goes for a bit then CTD. I load the autosave, end turn goes fine. Next turn it crashes again after ending turn. This has been a consistent problem I've had with this version. 0.97 also had this but lots of other crashes too from battles and sieges.
    I had the same problem, asked in this thread.

The following fixed it:
    1. I applied the 4GB patch
    2. I've set the executables to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode and as an administrator.

The game has been running flawlessly since, haven't had a single CTD.
    The only drawback is that turn times take significantly longer.
    Last edited by opaxite; November 30, 2022 at 08:28 AM.

Do you have Windows 7 or 10? Plus where can I find the 4gb patch?

Quote Originally Posted by NotZaran5 View Post
    Do you have Windows 7 or 10? Plus where can I find the 4gb patch?
    I have Windows 10.
    The patch can be found here.
    Place it into the game folder and select Kingdoms.exe to be patched.

Default Re: [DOWNLOAD] SSHIP 0.98 ver. September 8th, 2022

Hello everyone, I tried installing it by unpacking the 7zip-file into my mods-folders (steamapps>M2TW>Mods>SSHIP (created a new folder for it) but I does not seem to work. I launcehd it using the .bat-file but i only get the original 5 factions when trying to start a campaign. Can't see that anything has changed to SSHIP in the game. I am complete newbie at this so maybe something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Seosaidh View Post
    Hello everyone, I tried installing it by unpacking the 7zip-file into my mods-folders (steamapps>M2TW>Mods>SSHIP (created a new folder for it) but I does not seem to work. I launcehd it using the .bat-file but i only get the original 5 factions when trying to start a campaign. Can't see that anything has changed to SSHIP in the game. I am complete newbie at this so maybe something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
    Mod path should be: .../mods/SSHIP_098

Hello everyone,
    I played the previous version (0.97) for months and had fun with it but i have a campaign lag in this version. Vanilla and Stainless Steel 6.4 works fine btw. How can i solve this? (I used LAA and 4gb patch)
    Also when i run the .bat file as administrator it says: "ERROR: Cannot find the M2TW or Kingdoms executable. You probably installed SSHIP into the wrong folder." However, i don't get this message when i run by double clicking.

Oh, I realized that i replied to a wrong thread. Sorry for that but i solved the lag problem. It was because of the windowed mode setting in configuration.cfg. I've changed the values of "borderless_window" and "windowed" to "false" and it works fine now.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by osmbeko View Post
    Also when i run the .bat file as administrator it says: "ERROR: Cannot find the M2TW or Kingdoms executable. You probably installed SSHIP into the wrong folder." However, i don't get this message when i run by double clicking.
    Yup, that's what happens when you run the BAT file as admin. You are supposed to set the executable file (medieval2\kingdoms) to admin rights (and Win7 for good measure) instead. And then run the mod from the BAT file, create a desktop shortcut for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by osmbeko View Post
    Sorry for that but i solved the lag problem. It was because of the windowed mode setting in configuration.cfg. I've changed the values of "borderless_window" and "windowed" to "false" and it works fine now.
    'Windowed' mode is for developer's convenience when 'Alt tabbing' - it should be disabled in the public release.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 03, 2022 at 09:31 PM.

I'm having trouble installing this, it said its a standalone and to just extract the zip file into the mods folder so I did that, and it just emptied all the contents into the mods folder, when I clicked on the launcher it said it couldn't detect kingdoms and that I installed it into the wrong folder (I didn't) I then created a mod folder for the mod within the mods folder, named SSHIP, put all the loose mod files into that, and hit the launcher again. this time it loaded a small windowed version of vanilla mediaeval. I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Iulius Tabernarius View Post
    I'm having trouble installing this
    This is how I installed it:
    1) Open Steam
    2) On the top-left corner: Steam → Settings
    3) Downloads → Steam Library Folders
    4) Click the + button
    5) Let me choose another location → Add
    6) Select X:\Y, where X is the drive's letter of your choice, Y is a folder with a very short name (create it if necessary), e.g. SL (for Steam Library) - this to prevent files inside the mod's folder to have a path too long for Windows
    7) Select Total War: MEDIEVAL II - Definitive Edition by checking the box on the right → Move
    8) Select the folder you just created → Move
    9) Optionally, navigate to X:\Y\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\ (or alternatively: Go to your Library → right click Total War: MEDIEVAL II - Definitive Edition → Properties... → Local Files → Browse...) to make sure that the files were moved successfully. If you're feeling paranoid, run the game
    10) Download SSHIP 098 (and 7-Zip from https://www.7-zip.org/ if you need to) - Personally, I downloaded the mod with JDownloader 2 (https://jdownloader.org/): contrary to a standard download, it started instantly and didn't freeze my computer for the duration of the download
    11) Cut (Ctrl+X) SSHIP_098.7z and paste (Ctrl+V) it into "X:\Y\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods", open the file, look at what greets you, then close the file
    12a) If you were greeted by a single folder, then right click SSHIP_098.7z → 7-Zip → Extract here
    12b) If you were greeted by a bunch of folders and/or files, then right click SSHIP_098.7z → 7-Zip → Extract in "SSHIP_098"
    13) Optionally, either delete SSHIP_098.7z, or keep it for posterity / as backup (but in this case I'd suggest moving it somewhere else)
    14) Optionally, rename the folder however you want (e.g. SSHIP_0.9.8 - notice the extra dots) - From now on I'll call this folder Z
    15) Return to your Library on Steam → Click Add A Game on the bottom-left corner → Add a Non-Steam Game...
    16) If you see the game, click the checkbox to its left → Add Selected Programs. Otherwise Browse... → Open "X:\Y\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\medieval2.exe" → Add Selected Programs
    17) A new "game" named medieval2 should have appeared in your Library. Right click it → Properties...
    18) Change medieval2 (the shortcut name) to whatever you want (e.g. SSHIP 0.9.8)
    19) Change the target to the following:
    Code:
    "X:\Y\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\medieval2.exe" --features.mod=mods/Z
    (i.e. click wherever in the target field, hit End on your keyboard, add a space, add --features.mod=mods/Z)
    20) Use the new shortcut in your Library to play the game

For further reading, see https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?745692 and https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...07-2014-update.

Thank you guys for the comments and feedback, Echo4 - we will implement your corrections, thank you!

Regarding installation, I have a steam version as well, but my installation was very simple:

1. Unzip the SSHIP folder,
    2. Without changing the name of the folder, copy it as below:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SSHIP_098

3. Inside of this folder there should be a bunch of files and folders, among which also 'data' folder.
    4. Start the game with 'SSHIP 098 launcher.bat'

That's it, regarding the compatibility settings look at some of the threads at our forum - Gigantus explained it very thoroughly.