Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long Live the King

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Long Live the King

I think people should get with the times. I think citizen Charles Windsor has a nice ring to it. Chop-chop.

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I think people should get with the times. I think citizen Charles Windsor has a nice ring to it.
    Oh you mean Charles Phillip Arthur George Saxe Coburg und Gotha von Wettin? The Chuckster?

You know he doesn't need a passport? A passport is a request for aid made in the name of the state, and at the end of the day...

...as his cousin once said...

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Chop-chop.
    Chop...chop?

Bit harsh mate innit?
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Oh you mean Charles Phillip Arthur George Saxe Coburg und Gotha von Wettin? The Chuckster?

You know he doesn't need a passport? A passport is a request for aid made in the name of the state, and at the end of the day...

...as his cousin once said...

Chop...chop?

Bit harsh mate innit?
    I am being facetious, because I am actually totally opposed to the death penalty under all circumstances. Ideally he could become citizen Charles and given a nice house to retire to or go live with some other royal family.

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Completely ridiculous that people in the UK are being arrested for being anti-monarchist. That's what ACTUAL infringement on freedom of speech looks like, not right-wing grifters getting banned from Twitter for being transphobic.
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strider View Post
    Completely ridiculous that people in the UK are being arrested for being anti-monarchist. That's what ACTUAL infringement on freedom of speech looks like, not right-wing grifters getting banned from Twitter for being transphobic.
    They're not using rhe Treason Act AFAIK, theyre invoking "causing a disturbance " and given the amount of support in the UK demonstrations against the monarchy amount to that i guess.

In the end its bear enough the same thing. The Establishment silences dissent.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

It is interesting to see how some Americans love monarchies, even though the vast majority of Americans would not under any circumstances choose to live in a monarchy.

Of course, whatever one's opinion, the United Kingdom is a sovereign state and has the form of government that the British people understand and that we just have to respect.
    But it was with some amazement that I received the news that the government of the third European country to establish the Republic, Portugal, was going to declare three days - three -of national mourning for the death of Queen Elizabeth.

I find the media coverage given in Portugal, particularly by television stations, to the funeral ceremonies of Queen Elizabeth II to be manifestly exaggerated, paying tribute to a manifestly exaggerated cult of personality, and I find the declaration by the Portuguese Government of three days of national mourning to be manifestly excessive. It has been said that this rendition of tribute is due to the fact that Portugal maintains with the United Kingdom the oldest alliance in the world.

The aid coming from Great Britain was never motivated by any Anglo-Portuguese solidarity relationship, but simply to pursue the strict interests of the British empire.

In 1703, the Methuen Treaty, signed as part of the war of the Spanish succession, led to the abandonment of the national textile industry in favor of English textiles, duty-free in Portugal and mainly in Brazil, in exchange for favoring the export of Portuguese wines to Great Britain, creating a commercial situation that was profoundly unequal and seriously detrimental to the national economy.

Faced with the French invasions in 1808, the British intervention took place within a wider conflict with Napoleonic France that involved the entire Iberian Peninsula that led to the expulsion of the French armies, and the imposition of a protectorate that only the Revolution of 1820 managed to end.

The liberal revolution of 1820 surprised Willam Beresford on his return trip from Rio de Janeiro, where he had received from Dom João VI full powers to govern Portugal, which only the Revolution prevented. In 1890, the well-known British ultimatum was a national humiliation that became recognizably the beginning of the end of the Portuguese monarchy.

Faced with the clash between Portuguese and British colonial pretensions in Africa, the British ultimatum against its faithful ally aroused a wave of national revulsion against the national treason of capitulating to the ultimatum. The national anthem “A Portuguesa” was born out of the protests against the ultimatum and has a totally anti-monarchic and anti-British origin.

At the end of World War II, despite Salazar's false neutrality, which poorly disguised his alignment with Nazi Germany, the United Kingdom contributed nothing to the international isolation of Portuguese fascism, as it welcomed it as a founding member of NATO in 1949. In fact, in 1957, Portuguese fascism had the opportunity to adorn itself with Queen Elizabeth II's state visit to Portugal.

I am not advocating that Portugal should have a hostile attitude towards the UK. Far from it. There is a historical relationship of many centuries for better or worse and there is every reason for a friendly and cooperative relationship between the two countries. From there, declaring three days of national mourning for the death of the Queen of England is a long way to go. The distance between dignity and subservience.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

GOD SAVE THE KING. BRITTANIA ALL THE WAY.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarTheEmperor View Post
    GOD SAVE THE KING. BRITTANIA ALL THE WAY.
    You mean Britannia? What is brittania?

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

God save the King, for I know he can't lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    They're not using rhe Treason Act AFAIK, theyre invoking "causing a disturbance " and given the amount of support in the UK demonstrations against the monarchy amount to that i guess.

In the end its bear enough the same thing. The Establishment silences dissent.
    Freedom of speech - when you can say whatever you want, but you can still get arrested if unelected government officials arbitrarily call it a "disturbance".
    Anti-monarchy protesters are silly, British dynasty are little more then mascots, unlike say, banker dynasties, which do deserve to be hated. Having said that they should be allowed to protest and present their opinions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123