Thread: Do you think the Grand Campaign Roman garrison units in DEI are ok?

Default Do you think the Grand Campaign Roman garrison units in DEI are ok?

If you play the DEI mod as Rome in Grand Campaign, you never get city garrison units that are combat roman military units ( the units you get by recruting from the barracks ). You just get very basic units such as Italian cavalry, italian swordsmen, slingers, town guards, etc. Do you think that's ok because it is a bit more realistic in the historical sense?

I never played DEI yet because my computer is a little outdated in terms of hardware. But I imagine you'd have a hard time defending a city ( either walled or non-walled ) from a full stack enemy army that brings units with high ranks of experience or some strong units.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; August 26, 2022 at 08:19 AM.

Default Re: Do you think the Grand Campaign Roman garrison units in DEI are ok?

I agree there should be a mix of both. Not too powerful that it makes it impossible to defeat but not too weak that it will be easily runover. You could have a General with a small army sitting inside the city to add to the garrison, but that means you have one less army to use for attacking other cities. Not to mention the penalty associated with having the army in the city.It does need some fine tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by LEXI2016 View Post
    I agree there should be a mix of both. Not too powerful that it makes it impossible to defeat but not too weak that it will be easily runover. You could have a General with a small army sitting inside the city to add to the garrison, but that means you have one less army to use for attacking other cities. Not to mention the penalty associated with having the army in the city.It does need some fine tuning.
    You are right. I was wrong. I mean I used to think that the roman city garrison should be composed of normal roman combat units. It is ok the way DEI it is. It makes it a little more realistic historically because the Romans normally couldn't leave a legion in a recently taken city for a long period of time. And that can serve as a challenge for you so that you become a tougher ROME 2 player.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; November 07, 2022 at 03:25 PM.

Does anyone know a way to include wardogs as a garrison unit. Any links showing how to achieve this would be be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LEXI2016 View Post
    Does anyone know a way to include wardogs as a garrison unit. Any links showing how to achieve this would be be very helpful.
    Did you ever get to win in a city defense battle by using only the DEI garrison units? I'm currently in a DEI grand campaign as Rome and I indeed won several city defense battles only with the garrison against full stack armies which were either rebels armies or slaves armies. That's why probably Rome has one of the strongest garrison units as you improve the cities and research the military technologies for improving your trooops ( If the military technologies also apply to the garrison units ). At least I know the armor and weapons damage upgrades apply for the garrison units because some of my cities garrison units have golden level armor.
    In some of those city defense battles I even had an army outside the city within reinforcement range ( or in some cases a fleet if it was a coastal city ) but I didn't use it ( except for chasing the enemy units that were definitely withdrawing from battle once the battle ended ) in some occasions because I wanted to test ( by mere curiosity ) if it's possible to beat a full stack rebels or slaves army only with the garrison units.

EDIT:

I intentionally let the rebels armies fully grow in order to test the cities garrisons

Maybe the reason why I was able to win those battles is because my cities were fully upgraded and because of the military technologies I researched plus the armor and weapon damage upgrades. The more you level up a city, the better the garrison becomes. For example all my cities are upgraded to level 4. There are no plebs anymore in the garrisons. All the melee infantry units are both italian swordsmen and town guards. And you get more cavalry units as well. They are decent units.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; September 02, 2023 at 08:21 PM.