Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All quiet on the Western Front (2021)

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: All quiet on the Western Front (2021)

I was very impressed and touched by the movie, for me its the most accurate movie about WW I so far. I had no problems of following the plot. For me it was a very good movie, which delivered its core message, that the individual counts nothing in the horrors of a modern war, he's nothing more than a resource like grenades, tanks, flame throwers and there is no heroism in death on battlefield.

And for me there was a huge disconnect between common soldier, while the first eats wet bread and plunders the conquered enemy trench, the second one is feeding his dog with uneaten quails.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    I was very impressed and touched by the movie, for me its the most accurate movie about WW I so far. I had no problems of following the plot. For me it was a very good movie, which delivered its core message, that the individual counts nothing in the horrors of a modern war, he's nothing more than a resource like grenades, tanks, flame throwers and there is no heroism in death on battlefield.

And for me there was a huge disconnect between common soldier, while the first eats wet bread and plunders the conquered enemy trench, the second one is feeding his dog with uneaten quails.
    I totally agree with all this but I have to admit that it was a bit too long for me. the rhythm seemed right, but I couldn't help but get a little bored. may be a case of 21st century insensitivity

ps. or maybe like muizer kind of says the film lacks intensity?
    Last edited by mishkin; October 29, 2022 at 01:50 PM.

And the movie remind me with his colours on Otto Dix:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Dix

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

I was very impressed and touched by the movie, for me its the most accurate movie about WW I so far. I had no problems of following the plot. For me it was a very good movie, which delivered its core message, that the individual counts nothing in the horrors of a modern war, he's nothing more than a resource like grenades, tanks, flame throwers and there is no heroism in death on battlefield. And for me there was a huge disconnect between common soldier, while the first eats wet bread and plunders the conquered enemy trench, the second one is feeding his dog with uneaten quails.
    In what war do the top brass ever share the experience of their soldiers? And it's not that the top brass didn't know or care what life in the trenches was like. It's that they persisted with tactics that caused them because they convinced themselves and their bosses that "this time will be different".
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Thats true, but what's WW I is notorious for, is Generals and Fieldmarshalls making decisions out of personal prestige or ego.

For example like General Nivelle, who confronted in June 1916 by the french press with german news, that Fort Vaux had been conquered during the Battle of Verdun, answered, its to early to say this, although he lost the contact to the Fort one day ago with the last message asking for an immediately relief attack because of having no water and ammunition anymore.

Nivelle ordered an second relief attack, which last parts were shot down on the glacis of the Fort. Senseless waste of lifes.

In the movie the General is angry because his father won three wars under Bismarck and he won't lose, altthough he knows the situation and about the ceasefire talks.

His decision are ego based, not rational. Also the thinking of other Generals of holding on some months more till the next birth cohort is enlisted because that will change the tide, although they know about the arival of 250.000 fresh US soldier every month and the masses of tanks and other equipment, which break through the german lines.

There is a huge disconnect between their wishthinking and the common soldiers reality and experience in the trenches.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; October 29, 2022 at 03:50 PM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

There is a huge disconnect between their wishthinking and the common soldiers reality and experience in the trenches.
    This is dramatically a well known fact, so much that even Blackadder could make "fun" of it.

Waiting for the movie to be out other than on Netflix, so that I could see it
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

The gore was on point, so was battle cinematography.
    They anti-war message of the movie seems to be quite flawed, as the writing takes a bad-faith method of making up a war-mongering Prussian general character, with nuance and depth of Saturday morning cartoon villain. There was a historical precedent for last-minute fighting right before ceasefire, but use of made-up characters in historic scenes seems like a dumb cop out.
    The other major flaw was absence of the drill camp scenes. First they sign up, and then they magically appear at the front, know how to handle rifles, etc.
    I found that those scenes in both 30-s movie and the 70s one were quite important (I read that it was what inspired Kubrick when he made Full Metal Jacket).
    All in all its a passable war flick, but it leaves much to be desired as Remarque's adaptation.

It is on my Netflix list and I will watch it very soon. I am having very high expectations for this movie.

Edit: I had just seen the movie, and I liked it a lot. It was worth of the time.
    Last edited by Darius.D4; January 30, 2023 at 11:18 AM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I'm sure it's not a news per sé, but the movie won 4 Academy Awards

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articl...ont-oscar-wins
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12