Thread: Scenes from the Bible

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Default Scenes from the Bible

I thought it might be interesting and fun to start a thread of Biblical scenes with any suitable pictures we can find to accompany, to help us visualise it. A couple to kick us off:

Exodus 21, NKJV 20 And if a man beats his male or female servant with a rod, so that he dies under his hand, he shall surely be punished. 21 Notwithstanding, if he remains alive a day or two, he shall not be punished; for he is his property.

Numbers 31, NKJV 15 And Moses said to them: “Have you kept all the women alive? 16 Look, these women caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to trespass against the Lord in the incident of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the Lord. 17 Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known a man intimately. 18 But keep alive for yourselves all the young girls who have not known a man intimately.

Last edited by Søren; August 23, 2022 at 05:55 PM.

Default Re: Scenes from the Bible

Seems interesting enough, but what is the topic for debate?

If you're just going to post a verse accompanied by a picture, that's probably more suitable for the General Chat thread.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Søren's Avatar ܁

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    Seems interesting enough, but what is the topic for debate?

If you're just going to post a verse accompanied by a picture, that's probably more suitable for the General Chat thread.
    Well a moderator is welcome to move it if they want, but this seemed the best place for it.

To keep us on topic, here's another one:

Deuteronomy 21, ESV 10 “When you go out to war against your enemies, and the Lord your God delivers them into your hand, and you take them captive, 11 and you see among the captives a beautiful woman, and desire her and would take her for your wife, 12 then you shall bring her home to your house, and she shall shave her head and trim her nails. 13 She shall put off the clothes of her captivity, remain in your house, and mourn her father and her mother a full month; after that you may go in to her and be her husband, and she shall be your wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 14
    6 A scoffer seeks wisdom in vain,
    but knowledge is easy for a man of understanding.
    7 Leave the presence of a fool,
    for there you do not meet words of knowledge.
    8 The wisdom of the prudent is to discern his way,
    but the folly of fools is deceiving.
    9 Fools mock at the guilt offering,
    but the upright enjoy acceptance.2
    10 The heart knows its own bitterness,
    and no stranger shares its joy.
    11 The house of the wicked will be destroyed,
    but the tent of the upright will flourish.
    12 There is a way that seems right to a man,
    but its end is the way to death.3
    Spoiler for tiddies probably

Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Søren's Avatar ܁

Nice painting!

Some more words of knowledge.

Judges 18, NKJV 5 So they said to him, “Please inquire of God, that we may know whether the journey on which we go will be prosperous.”

6 And the priest said to them, “Go in peace. The presence of the Lord be with you on your way.”

[...]

27 So they took the things Micah had made, and the priest who had belonged to him, and went to Laish, to a people quiet and secure; and they struck them with the edge of the sword and burned the city with fire.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

the possibility that this thread will turn non-believing misogynists and regular psychopaths into ardent Christians. interesting scenes anyway, +rep

Most Holy Apostle St. Jude Thaddeus, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the name of the traitor who delivered your beloved Master into the hands of the enemies has caused you to be forgotten by many, but the Church honors and invokes you universally as the patron of hopeless cases and of things despaired of. Pray for me who am so needy; make use, I implore you of that particular privilege accorded to you to bring visible and speedy help where help is almost despaired. Come to my assistance in this great need that I may receive the consolations and succor of heaven in all my necessities, tribulations, and sufferings particularly (here mention your petition) and that I may bless God with you and all the elect throughout eternity. I promise you, O blessed Jude to be ever mindful of this great favor, and I will never cease to honor you as my special and powerful patron and to do all in my power to encourage devotion to you. Amen.

Balaam's ass Numbers 22:21-39

21 And Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his ass, and went with the princes of Moab.
    22 And God's anger was kindled because he went: and the angel of the Lord stood in the way for an adversary against him. Now he was riding upon his ass, and his two servants were with him.
    23 And the ass saw the angel of the Lord standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and the ass turned aside out of the way, and went into the field: and Balaam smote the ass, to turn her into the way.
    24 But the angel of the Lord stood in a path of the vineyards, a wall being on this side, and a wall on that side.
    25 And when the ass saw the angel of the Lord, she thrust herself unto the wall, and crushed Balaam's foot against the wall: and he smote her again.
    26 And the angel of the Lord went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left.
    27 And when the ass saw the angel of the Lord, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the ass with a staff.
    28 And the Lord opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?
    29 And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.
    30 And the ass said unto Balaam, Am not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since I was thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? and he said, Nay.
    31 Then the Lord opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.
    32 And the angel of the Lord said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine ass these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me:
    33 And the ass saw me, and turned from me these three times: unless she had turned from me, surely now also I had slain thee, and saved her alive.
    34 And Balaam said unto the angel of the Lord, I have sinned; for I knew not that thou stoodest in the way against me: now therefore, if it displease thee, I will get me back again.
    35 And the angel of the Lord said unto Balaam, Go with the men: but only the word that I shall speak unto thee, that thou shalt speak. So Balaam went with the princes of Balak.
    36 And when Balak heard that Balaam was come, he went out to meet him unto a city of Moab, which is in the border of Arnon, which is in the utmost coast.
    37 And Balak said unto Balaam, Did I not earnestly send unto thee to call thee? wherefore camest thou not unto me? am I not able indeed to promote thee to honour?
    38 And Balaam said unto Balak, Lo, I am come unto thee: have I now any power at all to say any thing? the word that God putteth in my mouth, that shall I speak.
    39 And Balaam went with Balak, and they came unto Kirjathhuzoth.

And because it is thusly Holy and sanctified: AAAASSSS

"You know… the thing" - President Joseph R. Biden, Jr., vaguely alluding to the Declaration of Independence

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

The good Samaritan

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
    26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”
    27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]
    28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”
    29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
    30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’
    36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
    37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”
    Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Last edited by Sir Adrian; September 05, 2022 at 07:07 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!