Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medieval III is "something we will do"

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: Medieval III is "something we will do"

Because English is not my forte lets put some things in reason order like Socrates, Plato and Aristotle tought us.
    Angara (Angyra ) also in 10th century (the modern capital of Turkey).

The scetch is based on archaeologogical findings and that time descriptions.
    Why that city?
    Nottice few things:
    • The citadel is on a hill.
    • The city has no moat (how could have in the middlle of a desert).

Now lets use this example and use your previus posts to categorise what a Medieval 3 must have in order to be a decent TW game.
    1. Settlements variety per culture/size/type (coastal/inland both cities and castles).
    2. In the tech tree skills armies must be able to be able to create and use siege machinery like sapping, rams, towers etc.
    3. AI and player's more than 1 besieging armies must be able to use that machinery to attack the settlement from different sides (Rome I).
    4. The game must find a way to fuse all previus TW game (unless I repeat that is a legal obstacle) like:

• Throne chambers (Shogun I)
    • Spy reports (MTW I)
    • Rome I multiple attach on the same settlement.
    • Connection of the strat_map model of a settlement with ist battle map one (In Rome II you have a strat_map huge city and in battle map a town).
    • Variety of settlements per size/type/culture
    • ETW provincial infrastucture separated from the settlement's one)
    • M2TW unit armor upgrades and not simply replacement with stronger ones.
    • Attilla and Rome II armyt attrition in hostile enviroment.
    • ETW naval battles that you can capture enemy ship .
    • Rome II and Attila naval landings.
    • Mercenaries available via events or recruitment in the Inn (MTW I).
    • Mercenaries that desert when income goes negative.

Alwyn you have faith in CA/SEGA developers. I want to remind a minor detail. When Rome II announced one of the first pictures was the variety of horses with more than 20 of them .Instead thegame used 7!
    Small detail you may say... But if they could not make a settlement variety in both Rome II and Attila and connect them with their battle models what makes you think that they will do it now?WHY they do not doing it now as FLC for both Rome II AND Attila to show that something has change and make us believe in them and what they will have to offer to us in the near future. I hope new siege wont have Dragons!

• In TGC our scripters made autonomus regions,
    • rebelions, mercenaries that desert if income is negative,
    • prisoners exchange when peace comes after a war ,
    • mercenaries that become available after raids/agreements or events....Have you seen anything similar to official TW games?

I am sorry that I am not that optomistic and I hope that I will be proven wrong in time.
    EDIT: Diplomacy needs also a reconstruction. In RomeII AND Attila you can not have trade agreements even with factions that are not in war with you. That in insane. Infact that should be 100% opposite.
    Because traders act as spies and also before a war is declaired money is essensial even from your future enemy. To few know that in the Roman (byzantine is false now days because more and more modern historians use the proper term) and Sassanid wars there was an unwriten agreement that the trade of Nisean horses (essensial for both of them for their cataphracts) was not allow to stop. Also even if they were in war they both had a mixed guarisson in modern Georgia mountain passes (iron gates) to prevent steppe people raids!
    See how history creates scenarios that our imagination sometimes find difficult to achieve.
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; August 31, 2022 at 02:29 PM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Do we know what historical title CA is currently working on?

Last thing I heard was about a Pike and Shot title set in the 14/1500s.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Yes, settlements, including fortifications, would need to vary by culture and location.

Your list of features for a "decent" game looks ambitious to me. While I like the idea of the developers being ambitious - I enjoy Empire Total War despite its shortcomings - I'm also wondering if they would have enough time to make such a long list of features work reliably.

It's interesting that you mention naval landings and capturing enemy ships. I would like to see those too. I don't know if capturing and using enemy ships was a common in the medieval period (I know that ship captains often took prizes in the later Age of Sail period, and that captured warships were often used by the navy that took them, but of course that's after the medieval era.)

The script ideas you mentioned from TGC sound really good.

Yes, it would be good to see improvements in diplomacy. Even so, I'm a bit confused by your statement that "In RomeII AND Attila you can not have trade agreements even with factions that are not in war with you.". I have plenty of trade agreements with factions I'm at peace with in Rome II campaigns.

AtheistDane, I don't know which historical title they're working on - if anyone know more I'd be interested to hear. I've seen speculation about Medieval III (as well as the interview which prompted this thread, there as discussion of a trademark filing for 'Total War Medieval' - but nothing definite), Empire 2, Three Kingdoms II, a new Saga title or a Pike and Shot game. Would you prefer Pike and Shot to Medieval III?

The article I was able to find mentioned that a trademark for Total war Medieval was filed.
    https://www.cbr.com/whats-next-total-war-games/

I am not sure why they would need to "refile" for a name they are already using. I am not familiar with PC gaming publications or websites.

After creating fantasy games (3K, Troy, and warhammer) if you are going to get back into historical titles, you might as well start with the most popular title.

Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Patrician

Medieval III could come, but the refiling is no reliable indication. Trademarks expire after ten years, so Creative Assembly needs to regularly update them. That's what happened with Napoleon, for example. That being said, there are rumours that CA is developing a historical title set in a period, when gunpowder weapons are used. Technically, the hint also corresponds to the late Medieval era, but, provided, of course, that the gossip is true, a later period, sometime between the 18th and early 20th centuries, sounds more plausible. There's also the chance they're making a remastered version of an older title, like Empire, whose graphics have aged very poorly, in my opinion, worse than even Medieval II's.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Yes, settlements, including fortifications, would need to vary by culture and location.

Your list of features for a "decent" game looks ambitious to me. While I like the idea of the developers being ambitious - I enjoy Empire Total War despite its shortcomings - I'm also wondering if they would have enough time to make such a long list of features work reliably.

It's interesting that you mention naval landings and capturing enemy ships. I would like to see those too. I don't know if capturing and using enemy ships was a common in the medieval period (I know that ship captains often took prizes in the later Age of Sail period, and that captured warships were often used by the navy that took them, but of course that's after the medieval era.)

The script ideas you mentioned from TGC sound really good.

Yes, it would be good to see improvements in diplomacy. Even so, I'm a bit confused by your statement that "In RomeII AND Attila you can not have trade agreements even with factions that are not in war with you.". I have plenty of trade agreements with factions I'm at peace with in Rome II campaigns.

AtheistDane, I don't know which historical title they're working on - if anyone know more I'd be interested to hear. I've seen speculation about Medieval III (as well as the interview which prompted this thread, there as discussion of a trademark filing for 'Total War Medieval' - but nothing definite), Empire 2, Three Kingdoms II, a new Saga title or a Pike and Shot game. Would you prefer Pike and Shot to Medieval III?
    Remember that in MTW captives could either serve in your armies or take ransom for them. Espesialy when a geneal ,Prince or King was among captives! That was a unique and realistic feature never apeared again.
    About ships. You are right that captured ships rated used but nottoce that.
    When western Europe had only Cog as its own ship (not including Vikings) , others used those vessels as transport ones. Ofcourse we can not pass to CA/SEGA over practice that others than Eastern Romans use ships with Greek Fire!
    If i would be SEGA's CO i would ask from the main competitor "Europa Universalis" developing teams to join forces and create the ultimate game. The best game in field battles on the ground with the best game for plots, politics.intriques , diplomacy etc. Few years ago no one would believe that TW games would host Warhammer am I right?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Yes, I can see the argument for starting with the most popular title. What makes Medieval II the most popular - is it the era, or the breadth of modding possibilities (or a combination of these, or something else)? Obviously, if it's the latter but a new Medieval game was less moddable than Medieval II, it might not be as popular as its predecessor.

Ah, I see - the trademark filing doesn't provide a clear indication of a new game. It's interesting to hear about the rumours of a gunpowder era game - yes, this could be set anywhere from the late medieval period to centuries later. I can see the logic of an Empire remaster (I particularly enjoy the 18th century setting and feel it's a shame that while Shogun, Medieval, Rome and Warhammer all had a second game, we still haven't had an Empire 2). To be fair, of course, Medieval fans have been waiting the longest for a new game so there's a solid argument for making Medieval III before Empire 2 (if either was made).

A medieval game with enjoyable battles as well as intrigues and diplomacy sounds good. Yes, capturing prisoners - especially nobles or royalty - should provide players with options to ransom the prisoners (or to use captured soldiers to replenish your own forces). A simlar mechanic has been used in some recent Total War games - when I win a battle in Warhammer, there's often an option to either return prisoners for money or to replenish my forces (the options you get after a battle depend on which faction you're playing). It seems that capturing royalty would provide a game-changing ransom (or put the player in a very bad economic situation if your king is captured) - and it's interesting that historically there was negotiation over a ransom (if this source is reliable):

The ransom for King Richard I was 150,000 marks, three times the annual income of England! Richard's mother, Eleanor of Aquitaine, worked to raise the ransom through church taxes, based on the value of their properties. Meanwhile, Richard's plotting brother John, with Philip of France, offered Henry 80,000 marks to extend Richard's imprisonment. This offer was declined by Henry.

On 4th February 1194, King Richard I was released with the ransom paid in full. - King Richard I the Lionheart King

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I find both Age of Charlemagne and Thrones of Britannia to be quite medieval games, so I wouldn't say "Medieval fans have been waiting the longest"

I agree that modding possibilities were the key 15 years ago for the popularity of Med2. But also the lack of competition from other games, incl. fantasy TW.
    Well, if it would be possible to mod the Thrones map, we'd have many mods localizing the gameplay - in each part of Europe and Middle East. Eg Thrones in Czechia setting would be gorgeous.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

I don't think when people say they want a new "medieval game" they are thinking Early medieval period. So, the named games would not satisfy their desires.

Good point about Age of Charlemagne and Thrones of Britannia (at least for the early medieval period - I see PikeStance's point about players wanting a game set in a later period.

I'm wondering what start year players would prefer, if Medieval III was made - around the year 750, 1000, 1250 or something else? How long would the campaign be intended to run for - would you prefer a game covering a shorter time period in more depth, or a longer time period with less detail?

Pikes and guns attract many people but we must be honest that the age of "castles" attack many more...That happens for varius reasons that is not the time to discuss... Searching arround the upcomming stradegy games all "medieval" ones start right after 1000 or a bit earlier (2 of them) and finish around 1500! The year 1000 is a real chalenge. Before I came to TWC i was a member of TW.org as researcher for the ambitius mod Medieval Total Realism Age of ambition that started at 1066 because string at 1000 was a real chalenge. Take as example TGC...that starts at 872 instead of 900! Magyars must become a horde, Norse must expand from Kiev and beyond, Pechenegs must emerge, Turcomans must emerge , Normans must emerge and the list goes on with Calbids and Fatimids. Not to mention 3 huge main civil wars one for East Frankia , one for Romans and one for Bulgarians. In Attila there are such rebelions but their mechanism is incomplete because they do not take under consoderation many factors.
    Conclusion in my humble opinion people wants a TW similar to Warband and its evolution...Horses with their riders storming into infantry masses ,something like this:

In Facebook i see constant complaint for the game Europa Universalis that does not release a "Byzantine" DLC. That means that this faction still attacks peoples attention arround the world. In a pike /guns game this faction simply wont exist.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Very excited by the news!!!

Even if it's going to release in 5-10 years.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Well, if it would be possible to mod the Thrones map, we'd have many mods localizing the gameplay - in each part of Europe and Middle East. Eg Thrones in Czechia setting would be gorgeous.
    S2TW is very moddable and many modders are doing regional campaigns. Izzy makes one for Spain for example.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Yeah starting with TW Engine 3, these games get a bad rap for being less moddable rather than M2TW being incredibly moddable to the point of total transformation of the game. ETW bears the worse of the criticism as it was the first and the first with warscape.

If they want to do something different, then Pike and Shot era would be the most logical choice. They seem to like Leader driven factions (Troy and 3K) so the Thirty Years War seems like a logical choice. Also game that starts in the mid 16th century and ending at the end of the 17th century would also work, but this would bring in a whole world map.

I've often seen people talking about Pike and Shot and this seems like a popular option. It would be interesting to see infantry with a mixture of pikemen and arquebusiers. Presumably, the pikemen would be able to defend against cavalry. If the enemy's cannon were guarded by pike and shot infantry, and if their pike and shot infantry could protect themselves from cavalry, what would your horsemen do (apart from scouting and pursing broken units)? I'm wondering what makes this era popular - what would people enjoy about Pike and Shot battles?

Welcome to TWC, tradupro! I hope we'll get a Medieval II Remaster, I imagine it would be very popular (especially considering the modding potential of the game). As you said, they might not make a remaster if they're planining to make Medieval III in the next couple of years. Having said that, the CA game director quoted in the OP said that Medieval III was something they would do "at some point" - as Basileos Leandros said, it might be five or ten years away - and in that case a Medieval II Remaster would seem more likely.

Conscripts would be the troops you fall back on when you've run out of households, mercanaries and followings (at least, that's how I imagine this would work). If this kind of system wasn't already in the game, I can imagine modders adding it, just as Imperial Splendour (for Empire Total War) and Divide et Impera (for Rome II) have added manpower systems.
    Imperial Splendour doesn't have a manpower system. We limit the recruitment of elite units to be more historically accurate. You are thinking of A Proper Empire; Terra Incognita
    Anyway, I asked wangrin if he wanted to add a manpower system to IS (like APE:TI) and he was dead set against it.

Manpower is a hit-and-miss. While you should be limited based on the size of your population, you should be able to augment that by recruiting mercenaries. That is if you recruit a Swiss Guard unit, it shouldn't count against your manpower but it should for the Swiss Confederacy. If you hire Hessian mercenaries then Hesse will lose its manpower. If you are playing as Hesse, then you are out of luck if the British "recruit" from your region. This would be interesting gameplay.

I've often seen people talking about Pike and Shot and this seems like a popular option. It would be interesting to see infantry with a mixture of pikemen and arquebusiers. Presumably, the pikemen would be able to defend against cavalry. If the enemy's cannon were guarded by pike and shot infantry, and if their pike and shot infantry could protect themselves from cavalry, what would your horsemen do (apart from scouting and pursing broken units)? I'm wondering what makes this era popular - what would people enjoy about Pike and Shot battles?
    You are thinking of the "advantages" as absolutes without considering their disadvantages. Pikes are slow moving formations. Mountain troops consisted of Reiters who can shoot at the pike formation with relative ease. Moreover, muskets were unreliable and inaccurate. As the war progressed battles were smaller scale consisting of more musketeers and up to 50% more mounted troops. battles were very bloody. Prince Conde didn't see an enemy line that wasn't worth charging.

Anyway, what makes the era interesting is you essentially have *4 components; Pikes, Muskets, Mountain, and artillery. Later periods it was just three.
    Bottom line, you will get a different experience than you would in ETW/NTW, and M2TW (late era). We have the others, but we do not have P&S, thus the strong interest.

*Yes you can add leadership.
    Last edited by PikeStance; October 13, 2022 at 04:41 AM.

Thanks, I didn't realise that - obviously, as the Project Manager for Imperial Splendour, you know your mod much better than I do.

I thought that Imperial Splendour had a manpower system because of this announcement about Imperial Splendour 2.2:

Quote Originally Posted by Isabelxxx View Post
    Campaign
    working on it.

[...]

3. Population system: manpower

Increased the cost of population for recruitment. Total revision of population system. You have to plan where recruit troops or your less developed cities will be totally abandoned. Populations is one of the most important variables: immigration, farms, technologies will modify it.

This is a warning: immigration, religion & recruitment are basic variables. The same for population, a disproportionate recruitment will decrease your population up to dangerous limits.

America & India will be colonial theaters now. No faction (neither human player nor AI) will be able to recruit a disproportionate number of units in these territories.

Maybe we're using 'manpower system' to mean different things, or the quote above was a proposal that wasn't implemented, or I'm thinking of the version of Imperial Splendour starting in 1700 and you're thinking of Rise of the Republic, or something else that I haven't thought of. It's not a big deal, either way.

I like your idea of a manpower system in which recruiting mercenaries would reduce the population of the region that came from - as you said, that would be an interesting feature!

For pike and shot battles - I see, I didn't know about the mountain troops. They sound like skirmishers, fighting in loose formation. I imagine that would be effective against regular infantry regiments, although presumably the weight and inaccuracy of early muskets would limit the effectiveness of the mountain troops (if they were skirmishers) and of course they'd be vulnerable to cavalry.

Thanks, I didn't realise that - obviously, as the Project Manager for Imperial Splendour, you know your mod much better than I do.

I thought that Imperial Splendour had a manpower system because of this announcement about Imperial Splendour 2.2:

Maybe we're using 'manpower system' to mean different things, or the quote above was a proposal that wasn't implemented, or I'm thinking of the version of Imperial Splendour starting in 1700 and you're thinking of Rise of the Republic, or something else that I haven't thought of. It's not a big deal, either way.
    That was never implemented or even developed. The manpower system in APE:TI would be a system you would use. My guess is this was suggested by a team member that was no longer part of the team hen I joined. This would require a scripter and we never recruited one.

For pike and shot battles - I see, I didn't know about the mountain troops. They sound like skirmishers, fighting in loose formation. I imagine that would be effective against regular infantry regiments, although presumably the weight and inaccuracy of early muskets would limit the effectiveness of the mountain troops (if they were skirmishers) and of course they'd be vulnerable to cavalry.
    Are you referring to the Reiters? Thy are mounted, not mountain.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Are you referring to the Reiters? Thy are mounted, not mountain.
    I was referring to this:

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Mountain troops consisted of Reiters who can shoot at the pike formation with relative ease.
    Empire Total War had a Mountain Troops unit in the game files (as far as I know, it wasn't available in the game, except possibly for AI Norway if it emerged) - I was thinking that you were referring to an earlier version of that unit. However, it sounded like you meant to type 'Mounted troops consisted of Reiters...'
    Last edited by Alwyn; October 16, 2022 at 04:20 AM.

Yes, I meant mounted, since Reiters are on horseback.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast