Thread: Azimuthal Projection World Map

Icon12 Azimuthal Projection World Map

Hey guys. I'm new into this whole m2tw modding endeavour. I've been trying to create a world map. But unlike the map used in empires, I'm using an azimuthal projection of the earth.

In case you don't know what it is, it's basically what the so called flat earthers believe to be the actual map of the flat earth. And no, I'm not a flat earther, but I figured it would be a fun map to play on considering you can sort of travel around the world and basically do what Magellan did.

Edit: I think it's relevant to say that I intend to set this campaign in 1444, in clear reference to Europa Universalis, so a little bit before the empires campaign. The big difference is that the Byzantine Empire will still be present, but much weaker, in its final years. And you'll be able to restore the empire by defeating the ottomans

So far my efforts have been severely frustrated by not being able to even launch the campaign, and many hours of my life have been put into this, so far it seems like a waste. I've used bare geomod and I'm on the verge of giving up, nothing I do seems to be able to make the map work.

But I figured that maybe some of you guys who have more experience with modding could help me accomplish this, and then it could be turned into a submod. And of course it would be in everybody's interest, cuz everybody could eventually play the map.

I've attached a picture representing what this map would look like.

I'll check this thread regularly, and if anyone answers, maybe we could create a discord and work on this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world_map.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	367942
    Last edited by Vitore; August 15, 2022 at 06:49 PM.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Azimuthal Projection World Map

Well, there are MANY things that can go wrong in a map and some don't give warnings. For example, if it is not enough fertile land (by some measure I am not aware of) then the map fails to load. And more.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

That could be a reason. I started all over and kept all ground types as wilderness and beach on the coast. Ironically I did this to prevent crashes. I wanted to sort the regions first and the work on smaller details

Is there any other ground type that may cause crashes if not present on the map? I'm aware that too much water may cause crashes as well, but I checked the map_regions.tga file from the empires map and the proportion of water in it is the same if not bigger than the proportion in the map I'm making

I am into modding and i always wanted to be on a new team that wanted to do something new. I can create new settlements, regions, and provinces, but sorely lack in making new units. I can only import units from other mods.

That's actually just what this idea needs to work. At least my idea is to focus more on the map rather than the units. We could turn it into a sort of alternative empires campaign. And by the way, I plan on making the start date 1444, a bit earlier than the empires campaign, in a clear reference to Europa Universalis. Your help is most welcome