Thread: Bribe Whole Armies (Universal Ownership of Units)?

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

Default Bribe Whole Armies (Universal Ownership of Units)?

Forgive me if this has been covered before.
    I've trawled through the sub-forum but couldn't find anything.

Has anyone tried to include most units as universal ownership so that when bribed they don't just disband, but become your units to order?
    Are there technical difficulties or gameplay complications that make that a bad idea?

I'd tend to think that universal ownership could be extra fun and dynamic when combined with limited recruitment features.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Bribe Whole Armies (Universal Ownership of Units)?

Quote Originally Posted by Live2sculpt View Post
    Has anyone tried to include most units as universal ownership so that when bribed they don't just disband, but become your units to order?
    Are there technical difficulties or gameplay complications that make that a bad idea?

I'd tend to think that universal ownership could be extra fun and dynamic when combined with limited recruitment features.
    You may achieve in two ways:
    - give each of them to each faction - I haven't done it but it's laborious - you need to copy 31 times code in a few files and many files in the factions' folders. @kostic is doing a great work for the SSHIP, he's already made it for 20+ units that are AoR now. In the vein of your thinking, @Live2sculpt, this enables recruitment of the Baltic Crossbowmen or Chude Militia from the regional buildings.
    - give'm mecenary attribute - very simple, just add it in EDU for each unit you think of. But here come the pitfalls:
    mercenary_unit attribute (EDU):

• enables the use of one skin for all factions (ie it doesn’t need to be duplicated in 31 copies).
    • even if a unit does have this attribute, it can be recruited in a normal way – from a building in a settlement.
    • if a unit in a province can be recruited in both ways (from a building, and as a mercenary), then the re-training is botched up: the recruitment pool do not get depleted during training.
    • console command disbanding units with this attribute will obviously disband all such units - irrespectively how had they been recruited. What follows: a script using this command (in the SSHIP: disbandment scirpt) will also disband all.
    • pics are faction-specific, coming from the buying faction's ui/unit_info/faction_name folder
    • the unit cards will be sourced from the merc folder

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

Thanks.
    I think making all units also universaly recruitable (or even retrainable) would be too much, as it could sort-of negate the meaningful 'stories' of their respective origins.
    I imagine just being able to acquire any units via bribery would be enough of a treat.
    That would both preserve their origin stories as well as add to them.
    So, for example, if I encounter an HRE army with Egyptian units in it, I am being told an additional story of where the HRE might have encountered that faction within that campaign.

Many years ago (2009?) I seem to remeber doing this trick once with my old DLV install, but I've forgotten most of it.
    I remeber adding all the factions to each of the units 'ownership' lines, but have forgotten where else I made the changes.
    Just for the bribery mind you. Nothing more. I wouldn't want them showing up in any other faction's buildings as recruitables.
    Care to help remind me exactly which other files need to be tweaked to corespond with the unit ownerships being expanded?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Live2sculpt View Post
    Many years ago (2009?) I seem to remeber doing this trick once with my old DLV install, but I've forgotten most of it.
    I remeber adding all the factions to each of the units 'ownership' lines, but have forgotten where else I made the changes.
    Just for the bribery mind you. Nothing more. I wouldn't want them showing up in any other faction's buildings as recruitables.
    Care to help remind me exactly which other files need to be tweaked to corespond with the unit ownerships being expanded?
    I've added that all, in the ownership lines once - and it ended in failure: crashes. I think you need do make a whole lot more changes - but @kostic and probably @Belovese would know which changes. If you'd commit to do those changes, these would be very usefur for the SSHIP (actually, the AoR units are courtesy of the @kostic time that is not dedicated his pet graphical projects) if you'd to the on the most recent files. But this is laborious.

I'm in favor, we just need to find the time !
    Out of memory, you also need to add all the relevant line for every faction on any units. Also textures, even if we could just use the same generic slave texture for bribed units I guess.

But kostic is more familiar with this and might correct me!

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats