Thread: The Tribunal Act

Default The Tribunal Act

Hex recently announced as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    No additional Tribunal appeal cases will be accepted for the moment, because it's impossible for them to be dealt with without active Tribunes. This means that for now, anyone who wants to appeal against a Moderation decision will need to use the Praetorium. Any new appeals that are started in the Tribunal will be closed.
    This is completely unacceptable. As many of you have probably seen, I have proposed a series of reforms based on this post. However, I believe this may be the most important.

It is hereby proposed:

BE IT RESOLVED,

I. Hex shall have no authority to close the Tribunal for any reason whatsoever without the consent of 2/3 of all voting Citizens.
    II. Such a closure shall be confirmed by a 2/3 vote of all Citizens pursuant to the procedures outlined in Art. II Sec. II.
    III. Any such "Closure" of the Tribunal will trigger a "stay" of all punishments
    A. A stay of punishment SHALL NOT apply to any violations of the Terms of Service pursuant to sections 1.17.13; 1.7.11; 1.7.5; or 1.7.9.

Definitions:

"Stay" shall be defined as a postponement of any penalty associated with a moderator interaction until Tribunal inactivity is resolved.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Tribunal Act

Support

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

It may be more productive and less combative if a proposal focus on a solution to resolve the "empty" chairs. Tribunes are appointed by Hex. If hex is having difficulty replacing two Tribunes, then a proposal that suggest candidates would be more appropriate.

Relating to Clause III. here, I will reiterate my main concern relating to the Tribunal Expediency Act.

Do you mean by clause III. that moderation may not issue notes, warnings, or infractions for the large majority of ToS violations (including obviously insulting or harassing behavior)? Because the system is set up such that, to quote my other post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11
    1. A user posts something which moderation finds in breach.
    2. Moderation issues a note, warning, or infraction.
    3. A user may appeal that decision in the tribunal.
    4. The tribunal either upholds moderation's decision (note, warning, or infraction stands), partially upholds moderation's decision, but alters it (note, warning, or infraction is changed in some sense), or grants the user's appeal (note, warning, or infraction is lifted).
    To say that " III. Any such "Closure" of the Tribunal will trigger a "stay" of all punishments" assumes that moderation actions are not valid without a functioning tribunal, which thereby implies that so long as there is no functioning tribunal, one may insult or harass others in any way one sees fit. Is this an implication of the proposed Act, or I have I misread or misinterpreted something?
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I understood it that the note/infraction is still valid but if the tribunal is closed it does not apply until the tribunal reopens, which is to the best interest of everyone to be as short a time as possible.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

It isn't really in the best interest. Appealing an infraction is a luxury, not a right. This is the only site that does it that I am aware of. Points and I and II I can support. There isn't a reason why we should be out two Tribunes simultaneously.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    It isn't really in the best interest. Appealing an infraction is a luxury, not a right. This is the only site that does it that I am aware of.
    This is not a valid argument. If only one country on Earth allows women to vote it does make it any less of a right.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

I withdraw this proposal.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Closed and archived as per request.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader