Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Amendment] Section II, Article II - Elections in due time

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default [Amendment] Section II, Article II - Elections in due time

ReasoningThe last two elections were delayed by several days due to a lack of binding instructions in the constitution, resulting in extended tenure by the consul.
    This proposal aims to establish a procedure\instruction to ensure that elections (for magistrate as well) conclude before the end of tenure of the incumbent, be it consul or magistrate.
    ProposalSection II, Article II - Elections

For every election the Consul opens a thread for applications3 to the vacant position and another one for all questions and discussion4. The Administration may veto any applicant.

Once applications are complete, the Consul opens a poll in the Curia Vote forum5. The member who receives the highest number of votes is elected to the position.6

The initial application period shall be 5 days3.
    Polls are to conclude before the end of the incumbent's tenure, acceptable exceptions are lack of applications3 and unforeseen termination of said tenure.
    In case of a VonC termination a Hexagon administrator shall conduct the election.

Regulations and Procedures to Section II (reference only for foot notes in changed text - Gigantus)
    3If there is no applicant, the application period is prolonged and the incumbent will remain in office until a replacement has been elected.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 25, 2022 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Amendment update

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: [Amendment] Section II, Article II - Elections in due time

This is basically my previous abandoned proposal only better worded and formatted, so I'll support.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

As perfactionist i like things done in time... Support.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Ill support.

This type of language was in fact a part of the Constitution in the recent past. Not sure why it was removed.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

IMHO the duration of the application period is ambiguous and so are the circumstances under which it can be extended, and the circumstances under which that extension ends. If I try to guess the intent of the proposal (and who knows the current text, whatever that is, I'd propose something like:

The application period lasts for 4 days.
    If no candidate comes forward within that period, it will be extended until the time of the first application plus 3 days.
    The polls will be opened within a day after the application period ending and will remain open for x days.
    Barring extensions of the application period or unforeseen termination of the incumbents tenure, the polls must conclude before the end of the incumbent's tenure.
    In case of a VonC termination a Hexagon administrator shall conduct the election.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    The application period lasts for 4 days.
    If no candidate comes forward within that period, it will be extended until the time of the first application plus 3 days.
    That's covered\provided for in the first line, see existing footnote 3 at the end for extension. The minimum of 4 days and maximum of 7 days provides for the extension period, in other words: if the initial period is already set at seven days then it cannot be extended.

While rewording can be done to reduce ambiguity, with the footnote governing the reason for extension (not beyond 7 days either), I really don't see the need. Further feedback on this point is welcome.
    "The initial application period shall be 4 days and can be extended to 7 days3"

The polls will be opened within a day after the application period ending and will remain open for x days.
    That's covered in the second, existing paragraph: "Once applications are complete, the Consul opens a poll in the Curia Vote forum"
    The voting period is mandated by existing footnote 5: "
    Votes on resolutions last one week, votes on elections last four days."

Barring extensions of the application period or unforeseen termination of the incumbents tenure, the polls must conclude before the end of the incumbent's tenure.
    That's as is, I suppose you added it for completion purpose.

Summary: simple math suggests that applications should start 12 days before the end of tenure to allow for an extended application period. They will have to start at least 9 days before end of tenure.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 23, 2022 at 10:11 PM.

SUPPORT

Blog Entries

Note to participants - after thinking it over I have changed the first line in the amended text to remove the ambiguity that Muizer mentioned.

Original phrase: "Applications are to last no less than 4 days and no more then 7 days3"

Replaced with: "The initial application period shall be 4 days and can be extended to 7 days3"

Please reaffirm your support.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 24, 2022 at 09:31 PM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Its about the same...Support.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

What happens if no applicant comes forward within 7 days?

The possibility of the application period ending without candidates seems at odds with:

"If there is no applicant, the application period is prolonged and the incumbent will remain in office until a replacement has been elected. "

How can a replacement be elected if there's no open application thread?

So a decision will have to be made to suspend the Curia, or to have the Administration run it, or obligate the incumbent to continue in office until an applicant comes forward. That's something not currently provided for either I believe.

In all cases, if an applicant does come forward, at any point, there should always be a period for a counter-candidate to apply. Hence my proposal for a flexible extension that ends 3 days after the first application.
    Last edited by Muizer; July 25, 2022 at 04:26 AM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Support
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

What happens if no applicant comes forward within 7 days?

The possibility of the application period ending without candidates seems at odds with:

"If there is no applicant, the application period is prolonged and the incumbent will remain in office until a replacement has been elected. "
    That is actually the foot note at the end of the first phrase, which will allow the application period to be extended beyond the 7 days. The original phrasing of mine was meant to allow the initial period already to be set at 7 days if a low participation is anticipated (and I guess I should have stuck with it?). It never challenged the implication of footnote 3.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Support.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    That is actually the foot note at the end of the first phrase, which will allow the application period to be extended beyond the 7 days. The original phrasing of mine was meant to allow the initial period already to be set at 7 days if a low participation is anticipated (and I guess I should have stuck with it?). It never challenged the implication of footnote 3.
    Well, if the footnote is meant to reference extending beyond 7 days, then at least the length without extension should be announced up front. Otherwise it would amount to "the application period will be ended at some unspecified time of the Consul's choosing between the 4th and 7th day".

Blog Entries

Otherwise it would amount to "the application period will be ended at some unspecified time of the Consul's choosing between the 4th and 7th day".
    That's what it was meant to mean in my first wording.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    That's what it was meant to mean in my first wording.
    Hmm that's not good then ...

Blog Entries

So no discretion to the consul to set a period for the application? I'm fine with that - just thought it might make sense given the rather low participation in the curia these days.

4 days it is unless I hear something else.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Some members complained that 3 days wasn't long enough while originally 7 days was found too long. Why not set a compromise at 5 days extendable if there's a lack of candidate?
    And by lack, I mean none. If there's only 1 candidate after 5 days, extend the applicaton by a couple of days. Then proceed anyway.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

5 days it is.

Notice to participants

The first phrase has been updated to read now: "The initial application period shall be 5 days3."

Kindly reaffirm (hopefully for the last time) your support. Do note that the footnote provides for extension of the application period if there is no applicant.

SUPPORT

-------

To be honest, the issue isn't how long the period is, but rather the elections are are held to close or after the term has expired.

It would be set terms and have elections take place two or three weeks before the end of the term. I terms and elections have definite dates, the time period for applications can be set at any arbitrary number you choose.

For example
    Terms: Feb 1, June 1, Oct. 1,
    Applications: Jan 14, May 14, Sept. 14.

If a term ends early a quick election is held and that person simply completes that term. No more rolling elections.
    One Magistrate can be elected at the same time as the Consul while the other one is elected 2 months later. (e.g. Feb 1 and April 1, etc...

It's better to keep the math simple.
    Last edited by PikeStance; July 27, 2022 at 11:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast