Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor among Thieves (new movie)

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor among Thieves (new movie)

I've watched the Italian trailer, I can already say that I'll be watching it in English, because they little I heard about the dubbing and the translation was horrible. This is something that might affect this movie indeed, I mean poor distribution investments and choices (and I suspect that that has been, partly, the same issue some of the older D&D movies had).

edit: forgot to answer to this

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    And finally, the usual complaint: The number of dragons in the movie is large. Dragons are by the lore of the actual game, rare. They are also, again by the lore of the game, requiring large areas.
    Staffing three dragons in the trailer alone, all of them big = too many dragons.
    I concur, but that's expected.. I mean, seeing the past flops of D&D movies, they are most probably pointing towards attracting as much people as possible, to being with. Dragons always work nice, humor does the same, some sexy stuff can do wonders (The Witcher anyone? ). I would expect all those elements to be in it, and I could be fine with them as long as there's a solid story in the background, I mean the kind of straight story which makes up for good D&D plots (anyone who played D&D long enough knows that the best games are those with "simple" plots, regular characters and so on and on). Going for the glorious plot, once you have so many things to unravel already, is not a great choice IMO.

This is what they did with "The Legend of Vox Machina" IMO. Stereotyped characters, plots which are rather simple. I guess any show that would actually be able to convey what a real D&D game is, instead of just going epic, would be a good show.
    Last edited by Flinn; July 25, 2022 at 07:50 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

The Legend of Vox Machina though was a played-game. People played it and other people loved the story. So it got animated. I never heard the original podcasts but I have seen no complains.

Also, about the "Sexy stuff" ... meh. It's a D&D movie. I would prefer if it was more family-friendly. And I understand what you say by "sure, dragons are rare, but they are also cool so people want to watch dragons" but hopefully, they will avoid the "too many dragons" things and sacrificing too much for the rule of cool.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Blog Entries

Also, about the "Sexy stuff" ... meh. It's a D&D movie. I would prefer if it was more family-friendly. And I understand what you say by "sure, dragons are rare, but they are also cool so people want to watch dragons" but hopefully, they will avoid the "too many dragons" things and sacrificing too much for the rule of cool.
    Once more I concur. I did not want to tell that that's a good move, just that I understand why they did that.

The Legend of Vox Machina though was a played-game. People played it and other people loved the story. So it got animated. I never heard the original podcasts but I have seen no complains.
    Which definitely proves my point
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

final trailer

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Here is my short and non-spoilers review of the "D&D: honor among thieves" movie:
    It was fun and funny and I enjoyed it. It was a nice experience but don't expect the new LotR. I am glad I watched it in the cinema cause there are a lot of effects.
    Now, it does a decent (but not perfect) job to be accessible and enjoyable towards people that not know D&D but it is clearly not targeted towards that, "generic" audience. You can understand and follow the movie even if you don't know about D&D and Forgotten Realms but it loses much of its charm, IMO, if you don't know the "mechanics" behind many things you see. To put it simply, you can count hp as you watch it and you recognize many of the spells. People that don't know what "hit points" means would assume it is the usual light action movie thing of the heroes taking a beating and not dropping.

Plotwise, it was ... adequate. There is a story and progresses nicely. The producers didn't take many gambles and played it safe. This is not a story that turns Forgotten Realms on its head. It is a story that you can assume it happened or didn't happen in your FR campaign without much of a hitch.

Last but not least, the trailer that said "the question of whether the movie would have fireballs" while showing a fireball...
    No. That was actually Melf's Minute meteors. It was not a fireball. I don't think there WAS a fireball in the movie.
    I would rate it... 4 out of 5. An enjoyable movie that could well lead to more movies / tv series and if they are of that quality, I would be happy about it. It was much better than I expected.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

I had low expectations and am surprised by the good reviews. Really tired of the endless superhero movies so Wife and I will be giving it a go. The local movie theater is only a couple blocks away and so is a decent steak house and bar so hoping it makes for a good day out. I will fill in my thoughts later.
    Last edited by conon394; April 03, 2023 at 08:45 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    I had low expectations and am surprised by the good reviews. Really tired of the endless superhero movies so Wife and I will be giving it a go. The local movie theater is only a couple blocks away and so is the a decent steak house and bar so hoping it makes for a good day out. I will fill in my thoughts later.
    Love how you connected the cinema with some quality time spent with your wife, that's something modern generations haven't realized. Unrelated I known, but still worth mentioning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12