Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor among Thieves (new movie)

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Dungeons & Dragons: Honor among Thieves (new movie)

I guess it's still early to judge it (it's planned for March 2023), but the trailer is quite interesting. Honestly doing any effective and "realistic" depiction of the game mechanics is very hard, if possible at all, but what I've seen seems good. Also, I love Chris Pine.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor among Thieves (new movie)

Trailer: From what I see from the trailer, I am worried they try to cram too many things into it. However, it seems to have good production values.

My main worry is of course, that in line with the recent D&D developments it will be a SJW woke-fest trying to push an agenda first and convince people of how awesomely woke and progressive D&D has turned and trying to be entertaining silly good fun as a second.

We will see, I guess.

And finally, the usual complaint: The number of dragons in the movie is large. Dragons are by the lore of the actual game, rare. They are also, again by the lore of the game, requiring large areas.
    Staffing three dragons in the trailer alone, all of them big = too many dragons.
    Last edited by alhoon; July 22, 2022 at 11:25 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

it will be a SJW woke-fest
    And how would that be? I mean unlike a book, play or movie - you have freedom to cast any actor and make up whatever societies want. Kinda the whole point of the game, home brew and all that, house rules etc.

and progressive D&D has turned
    When was it potentially not? That just depends on the group of gamer playing it.
    Last edited by conon394; July 22, 2022 at 03:36 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post

When was it potentially not? That just depends on the group of gamer playing it.
    Thats why i prefer the german RPG The Dark Eye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye

You can play literaly everything. Even a Consecrated Priestess of Rahja.

https://en.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Rahja

Thats real Roleplay. Unleash your Fantasy Alter Ego.

OT: I surely will watch the movie on Amazon or Netflix. Hopefully it will not be a bad movie with a boring plot in a Fantasy setting.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; July 22, 2022 at 04:03 PM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

How has DnD become an "SJW-woke fest"? What does that even mean? What are you even talking about?

My biggest grievance with the trailer is that you cannot wildshape into a damned Owlbear, that's a Monstrosity and you can only transform into Beasts!

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    How has DnD become an "SJW-woke fest"? What does that even mean? What are you even talking about?

My biggest grievance with the trailer is that you cannot wildshape into a damned Owlbear, that's a Monstrosity and you can only transform into Beasts!
    That's an easter egg to 1st Edition DND. Where you made up rules on the fly

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Don't tell anyone but I still do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Thats why i prefer the german RPG The Dark Eye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye

You can play literaly everything. Even a Consecrated Priestess of Rahja.

https://en.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Rahja

Thats real Roleplay. Unleash your Fantasy Alter Ego.

OT: I surely will watch the movie on Amazon or Netflix. Hopefully it will not be a bad movie with a boring plot in a Fantasy setting.
    Some DND movies they released in the early 00s were kind of trash, so hopefully this one will be better

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

I guess that are all Uwe Boll movies. ^^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_Boll
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; July 22, 2022 at 05:45 PM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

It looks fun. It seems like they just show the characters, not the players, is that right? (I'm thinking of The Gamers: Dorkness Rising, where we see both the characters and the players).

I'm trying to work out what their party is made up of. They say that they're thieves (this initially made me think they're all rogues) but it looks like they have a druid, a bard, a fighter and a mage. Maybe the reference to them being thieves means 'a party who steal stuff' rather than a 'party of rogues' - unless they're multiclassed?

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    It looks fun. It seems like they just show the characters, not the players, is that right? (I'm thinking of The Gamers: Dorkness Rising, where we see both the characters and the players).

I'm trying to work out what their party is made up of. They say that they're thieves (this initially made me think they're all rogues) but it looks like they have a druid, a bard, a fighter and a mage. Maybe the reference to them being thieves means 'a party who steal stuff' rather than a 'party of rogues' - unless they're multiclassed?
    "Thief" was a class in early DnD, but if we talk about the practice itself, literally every class can be a thief, just read our (Akar as DM) DnD game and the "achievements" of the party

Moderator Emeritus

If you can't tell a barbarian from a fighter, you deserve no seat in that movie. Please try to rectify your shameful ignorance.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Thanks Gyrosmeister, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post

If you can't tell a barbarian from a fighter, you deserve no seat in that movie. Please try to rectify your shameful ignorance.
    You may be right .

I don't know who you're looking at - I was looking at the 'glad he's on our side' guy at 1:30 to 1:35, who seems to be wearing some sort of heavy armour. In my experience, barbarians usually wear light armour (or no armour). To be fair, the rules for barbarians might have changed, or I could be mistaken about the armour that he was wearing (or maybe he isn't a member of the party - he's on their side but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's a party member).

[Edit to add] Here's the guy I thought was some sort of fighter.

Last edited by Alwyn; July 23, 2022 at 11:30 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Gyrosmeister, that makes sense.

You may be right .

I don't know who you're looking at - I was looking at the 'glad he's on our side' guy at 1:30 to 1:35, who seems to be wearing some sort of heavy armour. In my experience, barbarians usually wear light armour (or no armour). To be fair, the rules for barbarians might have changed, or I could be mistaken about the armour that he was wearing (or maybe he isn't a member of the party - he's on their side but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's a party member).

[Edit to add] Here's the guy I thought was some sort of fighter.

Ehh? That Paladin is in the group? I think he's not one of the thieves.

I prefer 3.5. But I am OK with 5. It certainly works better if you have somebody who is new and my only play for the a while and they can get into the flow with getting frustrated. The sort/long rest healing is way over the top - I house rule that back a fair amount.
    Yeah, it's a bit bizarre that with 8h rest you can heal everything, 3.5 was way more brutal in many ways, it had a much greater degree of danger. I play both 3.5 and 5e at the moment, and I have to say I prefer 3.5. Sorry Akar ;P

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Yeah, it's a bit bizarre that with 8h rest you can heal everything
    Well, that's not actually true .

You fully restore HP and recover your spell slots, but that's it. It doesn't remove any conditions, lingering injuries, diseases, poisons, curses, or negative maluses that don't expire over time. You can also only benefit from one every 24 hours.

It's worth noting that Hit Points do not, per the Player's Handbook, strictly represent the amount of physical damage you have taken. Hit Points are an abstract representation of a multitude of factors that represent a creature's ability to fight without going down.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB p196
    Hit points represent a combination of physical and mental durability, the will to live, and luck.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

@Akar I still find it pretty over powered. People I play with kinda agreed on house rule of you get your hit dice + one extra. A short rest lets roll one (or not and just get con bonus if any) + con bonus. Long rest all the hit dice you have left + con bonus + 1hp per level. I guess to many 3.5 players in the group.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Moderator Emeritus

But without inherent things of alignment X or Y that have polar opposites and varying shades between its a bit difficult justifying wading into them and doing some killing, theft , etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrosmeister View Post
    How are Clerics and Paladins are going to function in these newer editions?

Guys, Akar is wrong (probably talking about his own house rules and campaigns), Alignment is still there and it is a core part of the game.
    Last edited by alhoon; July 24, 2022 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Guys, Akar is wrong (probably talking about his own house rules and campaigns), Alignment is still there and it is a core part of the game.
    I think he was talking about the new version that should come in the next couple of years

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I have never said alignment is absent from 5e, reread my post.

Alignment has been absent from many of the recent published test materials from WoTC and is likely to be absent in it's current form from future editions, as I said.

probably talking about his own house rules and campaigns
    We still have alignment in my campaign, so idk what you're on about.

You can read for yourself what WoTC had to say instead of relying on the polygon article or misrepresenting it as a "loooooong apology" to those that they "hurt", https://dnd.wizards.com/news/diversity-and-dnd

If you think that's "Woke SJW " that speaks far more about you than about WoTC, I'm afraid.

In the edited edition of Curse of Strahd, that was changed.
    That is the "edited" version of Curse of Strahd, everything I provided was an excerpt from the edited versions.

Not sure what a random Wordpress article has to do with anything but you do you buddy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast