Thread: What has happened to AI doing full retreat function in battle (not in campaign map)?

Icon1 What has happened to AI doing full retreat function in battle (not in campaign map)?

Because of nostalgia, I decided to play Rome TW again few days ago. I remembered, but, somehow, I didn't pay any attention, the AI can plan, and do a full retreat, very frequently.
    This is the battle they did the retreat:
    _ Me: Rome, 4 hastati, 1 general bodyguard
    _ AI: Gaul, 1 swordmen, 1 warband, 1 gallic horsemen (general is in this unit, not Family Member).
    _ AI retreated when swordmen, warband got toast, I failed at catching those horsemen, only gallic foot soldiers were caught.
    ,and some others battles, you know...

Also, I vividly remember in M2TW, AI did do some retreats, I'm going to play a Stainless Steel and a vanilla campaign, personaly test it out.

My question is what ever has happened to that function, I can't find any related thread on google about this subject, my bad maybe, so if anyone find anything, post here for me to read.

Default Re: What has happened to AI doing full retreat function in battle (not in campaign map)?

I don't think I've ever seen the AI retreat other than after I triggered a rout in regular engagements. I see it frequently in in sieges though, particularly if all the AI has is a battering ram. If I destroy the ram, the enemy just turns tail and runs. If I sally forth from the walls with a strong force, the AI will back up and reform. Once I've formed up and start advancing, if I out number them, they'll also frequently head for the hills.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: What has happened to AI doing full retreat function in battle (not in campaign map)?

I've seen it once or twice but it's very rare. I believe they need to be able to retreat in the first place (have movement points remaining and did not retreat once before on the campaign map).
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)