Thread: Does torrent affects Internet speeds?

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Does torrent affects Internet speeds?

I made a torrent link for a member that can not use MEGA or Filefactory but i notticed the my download speed redused from 30Mbps to 16 Mbps and the upload speed from 4.5 Mbps to 1.6 Mbps.
    Could the torrent (i upload the file no download it) is behind that reduse?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Default Re: Does torrent affects Internet speeds?

Think of your router as having only being able to give you so much upload and download speed at a time. This rate can change throughout the day. If you're using torrents to upload what I'm assuming is The Great Conflicts, that's data going through the router which will make downloading everything else slower.

Nobody download the mod yet, and the upload speed is getting slower by every minute. Even the ping affected from 26 to 122 !!!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

You can simply upload your mod to a file hosting site like Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox or any of the other free file hosting websites.

Sometimes your Internet company will throttle your download speed and ping if they detect traffic which is a torrent. If you need to upload a torrent instead what you can do is use a VPN, which encrypts your data and makes it not possible to see that you're uploading a torrent but this service costs around $15 USD, most of the time.

Personally I own a AWS lightsail instance which I modified to run my own OpenVPN server on (and use the clientside OpenVPN software), cutting the cost down to $5 a month for me. But this still does cost money to run.

edit:
    Although if you need a free VPN for just this one member and nobody else to download the mod via the torrent; use WindScribe.
    https://windscribe.com/features/use-for-free

You can upload 10GB of data free, which should be enough for your mod if it's zipped.
    Last edited by z3n; July 05, 2022 at 07:07 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Can a file in GoogeDrive that can host up to 15gB files be shared (its link) without compromise the user's (mine) Google Account safety passwords etc?
    I have a Google Acount for my official (with my real name) transactions with the State , Banks etc.

Moderator Emeritus

I suggest you create a DropBox account and upload the mod there: https://www.dropbox.com/
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Dropbox cannot handle 15GB links.

Antonius, I think you will have to endure the reduced speeds for a while. 15GB is no joke.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

There is nothing inherently wrong to uploading a file on G-drive and nobody's going to be getting into your account because they downloaded a file from there. That said as a best practice I probably wouldn't upload through the account you conduct all your business with.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Dropbox cannot handle 15GB links.

Antonius, I think you will have to endure the reduced speeds for a while. 15GB is no joke.
    Driobox oage says the max free storage is 2GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dismounted Feudal Knight View Post
    There is nothing inherently wrong to uploading a file on G-drive and nobody's going to be getting into your account because they downloaded a file from there. That said as a best practice I probably wouldn't upload through the account you conduct all your business with.
    To let me undesrstand. If i upload in Google_Drive a file and in the dev forums show its link to download it works like all other Storage sites like MEGA, FileFactory and Mediafire?

Moderator Emeritus

Try uploading to nexusmods for example. They claim 20gb limits with more on request.

Dropbox max free storage is 15gb+. But you need to do some work for that aside from just creating a new account (also why not create a new Google account? This is the basic idea I am trying to convey).
    Last edited by z3n; July 15, 2022 at 11:36 AM.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Moderator Emeritus

Google accounts are a way for google to spy on you. I would stay away from using a google account more than I absolutely have to.
    Nexusmods is a good idea, but honestly, torrent is a decent solution even with slower speeds. There may be that you see fluctuations because the upload is so high that it clogs your internet.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Moderator Emeritus

You can rate limit the torrent upload amount to a desired value (like 3.5 mbps).
    The AI Workshop Creator

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    To let me undesrstand. If i upload in Google_Drive a file and in the dev forums show its link to download it works like all other Storage sites like MEGA, FileFactory and Mediafire?
    Yes. If I recall there is one step in between, where you need to make a 'shareable' link/share it and not just copy the link off your browser.

I do suggest using multiple options (hosts) at a time, since that is the best failsafe when websites could go down or change practice any day.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Quote Originally Posted by Dismounted Feudal Knight View Post
    Yes. If I recall there is one step in between, where you need to make a 'shareable' link/share it and not just copy the link off your browser.

I do suggest using multiple options (hosts) at a time, since that is the best failsafe when websites could go down or change practice any day.
    For now , fr big files i use MEGA and FileFactory but some members can not have access to them in their countries. For small files i use Mediafire.
    I will try the Dropbox when a member wont be able to use none of them or brake my mod's newest data in to sections and upload them to mediafire and hope all can download them. Its crusial for developers to have each time the same data to work on ...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    You can rate limit the torrent upload amount to a desired value (like 3.5 mbps).
    That's waaay too high. I would just rate limit at 100 kb per second (kilobyte, not bits).