Thread: Recruiting Phalangites as Baktria

Default Recruiting Phalangites as Baktria

I had a question about my ability to recruit phalanx pikemen troops as Baktria. I gather from the discussion in this thread (https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-Baktria/page2) that previous versions of the mod allowed you to recruit pantodapoi phalangitai from a foreign colony, but that this is no longer available. Nor does upgrading the Hellenistic colony in Baktria to level 2 seem to grant access to regular Macedonian phalangitai. Would building a metropolis in Baktria do so?

Is there any way to recruit phalanx pikemen within the satrapy of Baktria in the current version, or am I dependent on available mercenaries (haven't seen many Phalanx units available but might have missed them) until I expand into Seleucid territory? Do recruitment options change once I achieve independence and unlock new government options? It's a bit frustrating to have my starting phalanx troops slowly whittled away by combat without being able to readily replenish them, but that does perhaps add to the challenge/realism.

Thanks so much to the mod team for creating this incredible game!

Default Re: Recruiting Phalangites as Baktria

The regions where you can recruit them are limited. Phalangitai can be recruited from hellenistic colony, but only in lands quite a way west, around Mesopotamia. Baktria can also get them from high level hellenistic government building or post-independence Basilike Patris, but that requires minor polis and first hellenistic colony, so conversion to get proper culture level and colony points can be a problem.

Pantadopoi Phalangitai can be recruited from native colonies in many regions west of Baktria. If you're unsure, check the recruitment viewer or the native colony building in building browser in the specific region.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    The regions where you can recruit them are limited. Phalangitai can be recruited from hellenistic colony, but only in lands quite a way west, around Mesopotamia. Baktria can also get them from high level hellenistic government building or post-independence Basilike Patris, but that requires minor polis and first hellenistic colony, so conversion to get proper culture level and colony points can be a problem.

Pantadopoi Phalangitai can be recruited from native colonies in many regions west of Baktria. If you're unsure, check the recruitment viewer or the native colony building in building browser in the specific region.
    Ok, thank you. So sounds like they be extremely limited until I finally turn on the Seleucids to expand westward. I'll keep an eye out for mercs

IMO, in early game, the best option is to recruit mercenaries. Because, you don't need to attack the Seleucids and you don't get more cultural unrest due to the upgrade of the native colonies.

But, the phalangitai are not suitable for all ennemies. I usually use them only against non nomadic faction, except to defend the door of a settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by torf View Post
    IMO, in early game, the best option is to recruit mercenaries. Because, you don't need to attack the Seleucids and you don't get more cultural unrest due to the upgrade of the native colonies.

But, the phalangitai are not suitable for all ennemies. I usually use them only against non nomadic faction, except to defend the door of a settlement.
    The phalanx works just fine against nomadic, just force the ai to battle phase mode by engaging in melee with few cavalry and them they will charge their cavalry into your phalanx instead of hit and run them.

Quote Originally Posted by eyelurker View Post
    The phalanx works just fine against nomadic, just force the ai to battle phase mode by engaging in melee with few cavalry and them they will charge their cavalry into your phalanx instead of hit and run them.
    The problem is coming from the M2TW engine AI. Historically, nomads won't frontly charge a phalanx or any other close order infantry. Remember what arrived during the battle of Carrhae. Personnally, I don't use this AI problem, and I try to use the more historically accurate army composition avaible.

Bumping this thread rather than starting a new one; with another Baktria campaign question. Is it possible to build Hellenistic military colonies (Katoikia Phrouron and such) in regions with allied governments? Or do I need to wait until I've fought the Seleukids and gained independence before I can build factional governments and then build military colonies outside the original Satrapy regions? I'd like to build a Hellenistic colony in Alexandreia-Paropamissadai, but the option isn't available (I have strategic fortifications built and a colonist available). Do I need to build the highest level allied government (closely allied oligarchy) to build a colony there?

Hellenistic colonies and polises cannot be built with non-factional governments, you need to wait for independence , demolish your allied governments and build your factional ones before building your colonies.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    Hellenistic colonies and polises cannot be built with non-factional governments, you need to wait for independence , demolish your allied governments and build your factional ones before building your colonies.
    OK, thanks. I had been trying to preserve the alliance with the Seleukids for RP purposes, but sounds like I'll have to move them up the target list once I have my economy and eastern defenses a bit more stabilized.