Thread: Adding 31st faction to XL mod

Default Adding 31st faction to XL mod

Hello! Discussion about this issue is already active in another threat, but I felt like posting it in here too to increase a chance to get an answer.

I am editing Early scenario from XL mod. In its vanilla state, it contains 30 factions + rebels. In theory, there should therefore be a place for 31st faction to be created. I tried everything that comes to mind, including following a create faction guide over here > http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mt...tion_guide.pdf (obviously, I edited the files attached to Early_XL scenario rather than just normal VI Early period).

However, the game does not start. The moment 31st faction within the scenario becomes playable, the game does not run. The entire game, not just the scenario. I am either doing mistake somewhere, or alternatively, 30 factions + rebels is the cap rather than 31 + rebels. However, all online resources state it is 31 + 1. No mod I have found (and I have downloaded all big mods) contain 31 + 1 factions though, they all max out on 30 + 1.

Can someone give me pointers? Am I doing something wrong? Is the guide above wrong? I will attach the edited version of the EARLY_XL file so you can see how exactly I went about implementing the 31st faction. I can provide other text files, too, however, none of them should prevent the game from starting at far as I know, even if there would be a mistake in those.

EARLY_XL.TXT

Thank you for all the effort and responses.

Default Re: Adding 31st faction to XL mod

In vanilla campaign files "EARLY.txt " and others said that the game is limited to 32 factions, but it is impossible to add the 32nd. This happens because at the stage of parsing files, the "secret" faction "FN_NONE" appears. It seems that it is not used in any way and occupies one place. This is the solution will make it possible to add the 32nd faction :
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It describes how to make it possible to add the 32nd faction to the game. Works for the Steam version. I recommend saving the original .exe file of the game somewhere beforehand.

1.Download and install a hex editor, for example HxD.

2.Open in the editor the .exe file of the game, usually this Medieval_TW.exe in the folder Total War Medieval 1 Gold. Go to offset 00243194 in the table, Menu Search->Go to or press Ctrl+G, enter 00243194 and press 'OK'. After that, the cursor will move to the required field.

3. There are values of 10 26. Replace them with 08 25.

4. Now go to the offset 002431C9. There are values of 14 27. Replace them with 0C 26.

5. Save the modified file, now it can be run.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder2 View Post
    In vanilla campaign files "EARLY.txt " and others said that the game is limited to 32 factions, but it is impossible to add the 32nd. This happens because at the stage of parsing files, the "secret" faction "FN_NONE" appears. It seems that it is not used in any way and occupies one place. This is the solution will make it possible to add the 32nd faction :
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It describes how to make it possible to add the 32nd faction to the game. Works for the Steam version. I recommend saving the original .exe file of the game somewhere beforehand.

1.Download and install a hex editor, for example HxD.

2.Open in the editor the .exe file of the game, usually this Medieval_TW.exe in the folder Total War Medieval 1 Gold. Go to offset 00243194 in the table, Menu Search->Go to or press Ctrl+G, enter 00243194 and press 'OK'. After that, the cursor will move to the required field.

3. There are values of 10 26. Replace them with 08 25.

4. Now go to the offset 002431C9. There are values of 14 27. Replace them with 0C 26.

5. Save the modified file, now it can be run.
    Thank You for Your time again. I am so very grateful!!

You were 100% right again, the game runs now even with the 31st faction (FN_NONE) defined. There is a problem, though. Even though it is defined as Major faction in my startpos file, it is not on the map, and the campaign does not load. You can select it in campaign menu, You can pick faction, excluding FN_NONE (everything is defined for them, as I just copypasted XL mod's Bulgarians pretty much) which is never in the list, and click Start. During the loading process, the game crashes.

Is it possible that the 31st faction is intended to have some behind the scenes purpose, like "owning" the seas, and therefore cannot be practically played despite the .exe modification? I have noticed within the text file that FN_NONE is apparently owner of some of the sea regions (interestingly enough, some of them are not owned by this "faction").

If I name the 31st faction anything else than FN_NONE, the game crashes on startup as usual. I might try editing the textfile some more, and maybe I'll figure something out. If You have any ideas, please, go ahead and share them. I am not sure if You realise, but You are solving many many problems modding community for this game has had ever since the game first came out. Your advice is absolutely priceless.

EDIT 1: Even after deleting the mention of FN_NONE from the Seas in the text file, the game still crashes on campaign start and the faction does not appear in playable list / on the map.

EDIT 2: After removing FN_NONE from the Seas section (the only mention of the faction in the startpos textfiles) and replacing it by FN_FREE_31 for example, the game does not start like usual even with edited .exe file.

EDIT 3: Adding a picture of the edited .exe file so You see I've done it correctly.

EDIT 4: Alright, I have resolved the issue. It was my own brain, I have edited the .exe file in wrong folder, because I have at least 15 of them at this point. It actually 100% works. Thank YOu VERY MUCH for Your intervention.

//seas
    //====
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_NORTH_ATLANTIC FN_NONE
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_NORTH_SEA FN_NONE
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_ENGLISH_CHANNEL FN_NONE
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_BAY_OF_BISCAY FN_NONE
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_ATLANTIC_OCEAN FN_NONE
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_WESTERN_MED FN_NONE
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_TYRRHENIAN_SEA FN_NONE
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_IONIAN_SEA FN_NONE
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_ADRIATIC_OCEAN FN_NONE
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_AEGEAN_SEA FN_NONE
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_EASTERN_MED FN_NONE
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_BLACK_SEA FN_NONE
    //SetRegionOwner:: ID_BALTIC_SEA FN_NONE
    Last edited by kraen; June 22, 2022 at 03:45 PM.

FN_NONE is a pseudo-faction with the number -1, it will not be possible to "revive" it in the usual way. This faction was declared initially. Almost all the settings in the campaign files with its application are ignored and even attempts to set the owner of the province to FN_NONE, so it is completely useless. After the specified modification, it becomes possible to add a real 32nd faction with any name, but the former fictitious FN_NONE will not be available.