Thread: Ruined THERA REDUX, Can't Play On High Resolutions Anymore, This Mod Is Unstable

Bellus88's Avatar Ducenarius

Icon2 Ruined THERA REDUX, Can't Play On High Resolutions Anymore, This Mod Is Unstable

I have the steam version of Medieval 2/Kingdoms, previously the only problem I had was the game crashing when trying to engage an army with the Faction leader+Heir in 1 army on the battle map. I thought "verify integrity of game files" would fix it but it didn't, after doing that THERA REDUX crashed on any battle. I reinstalled Med2 and also deleted all the files from steam after uninstalling it for a fresh new install, the same problems persist. I tried compatibility mode with Windows XP and that made THERA REDUX switch to a resolution so low that I can't navigate anything, I uninstalled it again since I found no option to change THERA REDUX resolution in text files and the one for Med2 was still fine.

AMD/Nvidia graphics cards allow you to play at resolutions higher than your native resolution (mine is 4k). 7680 x 4320 looks so much better than 3840 x 2160 , I would rate the graphics 7.2/10 on 4k and 7.8/10 on 8k. Meanwhile 8k worked fine on THERA V4 and the Vanilla game, all because I decided to "verify integrity of game files" , this problem started. Every time I try to do a battle on 8k (7680 x 4320) , I get the "medieval 2 has encountered an unspecified error" and it crashes.

I will try another installation another time but I doubt it will work on this resolution again, can anyone please help me? I would really appreciate it. Doubt anyone would have a solution to this problem, it's a rare one.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ruined THERA REDUX, Can't Play On High Resolutions Anymore, This Mod Is Unstable

Resolution can be changed in the mod's CFG file, it's in the [video] section, example underneath. If the section doesn't exist then create it, else only add the resolution lines.

[video]
    battle_resolution = 1920 1080
    campaign_resolution = 1920 1080

The above is the highest default resolution which you can also set via graphic options, haven't tried custom numbers, so you will need to experiment what works.

Default Re: Ruined THERA REDUX, Can't Play On High Resolutions Anymore, This Mod Is Unstable

Hi Gigantus, have you managed to look over Boyar's submod of Thera? If you did, what do you think about it?
    Last edited by Vlad Dracule; May 27, 2022 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Dracule View Post
    Hi Gigantus, have you managed to look over Boyar's submod of Thera? If you did, what do you think about it?
    Why do you hijack my thread to post this, say it in private message, go away.
    Last edited by Bellus88; June 21, 2022 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Resolution can be changed in the mod's CFG file, it's in the [video] section, example underneath. If the section doesn't exist then create it, else only add the resolution lines.

[video]
    battle_resolution = 1920 1080
    campaign_resolution = 1920 1080

The above is the highest default resolution which you can also set via graphic options, haven't tried custom numbers, so you will need to experiment what works.
    THERA REDUX was originally working at 8k (7680x4120) on the battle map for me but my problem started all because I pressed "verify integrity of game files" and even after re-installing it on steam, it still won't work at all.

I tried

battle_resolution = 7680 4320
    campaign_resolution = 3840 2160

It crashed again. THERA REDUX is unstable, I think the only way I might be able to get it to work with 7680x4120 battle resolution again is if I re-install windows. THERA V4 works fine at 7680x4120 for battle resolution, it looks so much better than 3840x2160, the graphics are far more smoother and better, there it is no pixilation at all like it is on battle map 3840x2160 that looks slightly pixelated.
    Last edited by Bellus88; June 21, 2022 at 04:01 AM.

battle_resolution sould be 1920 1080 and campaign_resolution should be the same. Maybe then you won't have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivanclan1 View Post
    battle_resolution sould be 1920 1080 and campaign_resolution should be the same. Maybe then you won't have any problems.

No way, that is horrible, I would never play Medieval 2 Kingdoms total war mods, such an old game on such trash settings. I actually fixed it, changing this in the CFG file from 1 to 0 fixed it, I can now play fine.

[video]
    ## run game in windowed mode
    windowed = 0
    borderless_window = 0

Battle Resolution: 7680x4120 / maximum settings, Shadows off.

Campaign Map Resolution: 3840x2160

I play on a 55 inch Hisense H9G ULED TV which is native 4k resolution on Game Mode for lower input lag. Most GPU's have the feature of allowing you to play on resolutions higher than your native resolution which is why I prefer 8k (7680x4120) for battles, it looks a lot better than 4k.