Thread: Compilation of basic tips when attacking a walled city

Default Compilation of basic tips when attacking a walled city

Based on what I learned from playing campaigns plus the advices of certain people from this forum, I'll mention a compilation of tips ( specially for people who have no or just little experience playing campaigns ):

A- If you have range siege units:
    - I would recommend setting them on normal shot because normal shots are more accurate. And disabling fire at will to save ammunition. And manually aim at the towers that might cause problems to your units ( typically the two towers that above the gate. Then you can destroy the gate with either a battering ram or by burning it with your military units ). And try to open at least one section on the walls. Ideally in a place that is out of any tower's range.

B- If you don't have any range siege unit:
    - In case you have the time to besiege the city for 2 or more turns, always prioritize building tortoise siege units if available. They are the best option when you have no range siege unit. Try to get at least 2 of them. When you open at least one or two breaches on the walls ( ideally where no tower would affect your units you send there to try to make their way into the city. As you know, the enemy would likely send melee units on the wall breach to try to prevent your troops from getting inside the city ).
    Note: You can't have tortoise units if the walled city you are going to assault is barbarian. They aren't available.

C- If you don't have any range siege unit nor any tortoise available to build:
    In this case you have no other option than relying on ladders or siege towers. This is the case when your army or armies ( if you use 2 armies to attack ) missile units should be exclusively archers and not slingers nor javelin men. This is why: Because you'll need to provide your melee units with covering fire ( by aiming at the enemy missile units ) in case the enemy missile units retreat inside the city once your melee units get to the walls. Slingers and javelin men can't shoot over the walls from outside the city. But archers can. Set your archers in guard mode so that they stay where they are when shooting. Disable fire at will to save ammo because you need to shoot the enemy archers or slingers or javelin men because otherwise they could massacre your melee units that are fighting on the walls.
    An additional tip for this case when there is no range siege unit nor tortoise available is having melee units to serve as cannon fodders in order to reserve your strong units. Your second army should have auxiliary or mercenary units to be sent first in the ladders and siege towers in order to get them to disable the two towers ( the two towers that are above a gate ) firing and to destroy the gate as well. The two towers stop firing when your units are on the wall above the gate.
    If the city you attack is barbarian, you can use your archers to destroy towers while your units are advancing to the gate in ladders or siege towers. Set your achers on flaming shot mode for that.

Addtional tip:
    Another useful thing in case you have no range siege unit nor any tortoise unit and if the walled city is a coastal city, you should use one army plus one navy to attack. Ideally try to have at least 3 ballista ships in order to destroy some towers ( Always shoot on normal mode shot because it is more accurate ) in order to make the disembarking action safe for your marine units ( In case there is a way to disembark inside the city ). They can later capture towers and gates in order to support your land army and help them get inside the city as fast as possible.

Don't forget that most of your units should be infantry in a walled city assault battle
    Last edited by twgamer20197; February 03, 2023 at 04:21 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Compilation of basic tips when attacking a walled city

These are useful tips, thank you!

What do you do in sieges when your faction doesn't have archers in its roster - like the Iceni or Lusetani - do you bring mercenary archers, or use different tactics?

I agree that it makes sense to use mostly infantry for walled city assaults. The arrow towers can take a heavy toll on attacking infantry, especially if you're stuck on the walls for a long melee. Have you tried using stealthy units (such as Lusitani Guerrilla Warriors, Nervii Guerrilla Swordsmen or Iceni Ambushers) to occupy the areas to take control of arrow towers (I could be wrong, but I think they take fewer casualties, as the arrow towers tend not to see them).

What do you do in sieges when your faction doesn't have archers in its roster - like the Iceni or Lusetani - do you bring mercenary archers, or use different tactics?
    I'd rather hire mercenary archers. Ideally archers that have a long range such as the elite gallic hunters or the sirian archers or the cretan archers

No. I've never tried any iberic faction yet.

How would you use your slingers as best as possible in case you don't have any archer unit nor any range siege equipment nor any tortoise unit in a non-coastal walled city assault battle?
    Last edited by twgamer20197; February 02, 2023 at 05:21 AM.

I'd simply put them in a long line (to reduce casualties from the enemy's ranged fire). I wouldn't expect them to kill many enemies - I'd rely mainly on melee infantry.

Once your melee units get on the walls, maybe you should look for a way to bring your slingers on the wall as well in order to support your melee units that are fighting on wall sections where they don't run the risk of beign caught by enemy melee units. Or try to burn a gate in another section of the city and then get your slingers inside the city by that gate but of course accompanied by some melee units and cavalry units just in case.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; February 17, 2023 at 08:18 AM.

Yes, getting slingers onto (or inside) the wall would help - as you said, being careful to avoid them being caught by enemy melee units.

If they're on a wall where melee fighting is happening, maybe it would help to turn off fire at will and direct their fire manually (to target units on the ground, and avoid friendly fire trying to fire over your own melee units on the wall)?

One more thing:
    Don't engage any of your melee infantry units in combat against the enemy general if he is the last surving enemy unit ( usually the general waits from the central capture point ) if your range units still have some ammunition left. First shoot the general from different directions simultaneously ( Never only from the front ) in order to soften him up and then use your melee units to engage them against him