Thread: Proposed Oklahoma bill that criminalizes being born Hispanic.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Proposed Oklahoma bill that criminalizes being born Hispanic.

This is not a joke. Here is the bill in question: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf...3133%20INT.PDF

Read #1 in Section 1.
    "Any person who:
    1. Is of Hispanic descent living within the state of Oklahoma;
    [...]
    shall be deemed to have committed an act of terrorism as such term is defined in Section 1268.1 of Title 21 of the Oklahoma Statutes. "

I have no words. I read it in the Guardian and I didn't believe it at first, thought it was erroneous reporting. Then, I found that bill that I linked above.

First thing first, I think that congressman that introduced the bill should be forced to give a DNA test to check whether he has Hispanic ancestry. We can't be sure with those terrorists...

Second, I think that this bill will be thrown out of the Oklahoma state house, as it should.

I didn't think there would ever be a law practically criminalizing being of a certain descent after Fascism, Nazism etc were defeated. There would be no such law before those regimes, there would be no such law after these regimes. I mean, not even the anti-Native USA presidents, the ones that led troops to kill natives, didn't try to pass a law to criminalize being born Indian.

What do you guys think?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Proposed Oklahoma bill that criminalizes being born Hispanic.

Proposed Oklahoma bill would single out Hispanic gang members as ‘terrorists’

The bill, written by Republican state Rep. Justin Humphrey, proposes that any person who “is of Hispanic descent living within the state of Oklahoma,” is a member of a gang and has been convicted of “gang-related offenses” would be deemed a terrorist. Humphrey has since apologized for zeroing in on Hispanic people and plans to change the language in the bill to "undocumented."

Humphrey said, adding that he spoke with Hispanic friends who told him they were somewhat offended by the bill.

-
    Humphrey has proposed another controversial bill this legislative session that seeks to use animal control to remove "furries," individuals who role-play as anthropomorphized animal characters, from school activities.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    This is not a joke. Here is the bill in question: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf...3133%20INT.PDF

Read #1 in Section 1.
    "Any person who:
    1. Is of Hispanic descent living within the state of Oklahoma;
    [...]
    shall be deemed to have committed an act of terrorism as such term is defined in Section 1268.1 of Title 21 of the Oklahoma Statutes. "

I have no words. I read it in the Guardian and I didn't believe it at first, thought it was erroneous reporting. Then, I found that bill that I linked above.

First thing first, I think that congressman that introduced the bill should be forced to give a DNA test to check whether he has Hispanic ancestry. We can't be sure with those terrorists...

Second, I think that this bill will be thrown out of the Oklahoma state house, as it should.

I didn't think there would ever be a law practically criminalizing being of a certain descent after Fascism, Nazism etc were defeated. There would be no such law before those regimes, there would be no such law after these regimes. I mean, not even the anti-Native USA presidents, the ones that led troops to kill natives, didn't try to pass a law to criminalize being born Indian.

What do you guys think?

State legislatures end up with some extremist legislators on all sides. Said legislators often feel the need to virtue signal with legislation that is ridiculous and extreme. It up too leadership to decided if they want to stop the ideal at all, bury it procedure or maybe let it die on the floor, or actually back it. But this problay plays well in very red Oklahoma where is sure the base is convinced all Hispanic immigrants are thugs.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    But this problay plays well in very red Oklahoma where is sure the base is convinced all Hispanic immigrants are thugs.
    The bill doesn't refer to just immigrants though. Check the bill. Hispanic ancestry. A 3rd-generation Oklahoman that is unlucky enough to have a great grandmother being Mexican, would be a terrorist.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

The bill doesn't refer to just immigrants though. Check the bill. Hispanic ancestry. A 3rd-generation Oklahoman that is unlucky enough to have a great grandmother being Mexican, would be a terrorist.
    Look I not say its coherent or defending it. But I bet it get him a Fox news clip and its read meat for the extreme of his base in a deep red state. Like or not and ignore it as the MSM media often likes but a good chunk of that base does not believe black and brown people can be real Americans.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Honestly, with hand on my heart, I think that congressman had something else in mind and he simply wrote the bill poorly enough for this to me misconstrued.
    He probably meant criminals of Hispanic descent or gang members of Hispanic descent. Still racist, still targets a particular race, but at least not everyone of said ancestry.

Honestly, with hand on my heart, I think that congressman had something else in mind and he simply wrote the bill poorly enough for this to me misconstrued.
    He probably meant criminals of Hispanic descent or gang members of Hispanic descent. Still racist, still targets a particular race, but at least not everyone of said ancestry.
    Its pretty clear the former meaning intended not the latter. The way read 1, 2 and 3 is as connected by and not or. Read with or than 2 and 3 are superfluous. But again the point is its read meat for his base and the chance to a Fox clip.
    Last edited by conon394; January 20, 2024 at 07:28 AM.

Like pursuing a Biden impeachment, this is just further proof that Republicans don't take being in government seriously. It's all a game to them, because they have no real stake in the country. They know if things go bad they can just get on their private jets and yachts with their looted wealth and head for greener pastures.