Thread: If you know how to make battle models, please help me. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Default If you know how to make battle models, please help me. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Alright, first, I will explain to you what I'm trying to achieve, and afterwards, I'll explain, every single step I took to "try" and get the model to work, so that you can tell me what steps I've missed or what steps I did wrong, sounds good?

Okay, let's go.

What I want to do is turn a strat map model into a battle map model. The model that I want to use is the southern general. Now, I know that someone else has already done that, BUT I want the model to use it's original textures, so I'm afraid I have to make it myself from scratch.

Anyway, here's what I've done to try to get it to work.

-I used GOM's mesh converter to turn a mesh file into a ms3d file. (I used the one of the "crusader captain" from the Stainless Steel Mod).

-I used M2TW Modeler's Toolbox to turn the southern general CAS file into a ms3d file.

-I open the converted CAS file with Milkshape3d, and export it into an Autodesk3DS file.

-I open the converted MESH file with Milkshape3d and delete the crusader captain's model (and also it's "figure" and "attachments" entries from the materials section).

-I import the Autodesk3DS file of the southern general.

-I carefully assign every vertice to the correct bones.

-I change the comment in the group section.
    1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 % 0
    To:
    Body
    Knight

-Then I save the changes.

BUT THEN, when I go and check the model in the game, it's all ed up, EVEN THOUGH I assigned all of the vertices perfectly. I don't understand!

Please, if you have any idea what I need to do, just tell me. I would really appreciate it.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: If you know how to make battle models, please help me. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Maybe try to convert the "crusader captain" with the Toolbox instead. I don't know why you are using 3DS but maybe try skipping that and using the Merge function of MilkShape instead. Then when you've finished editing convert to mesh again with Modeler's Toolbox.

Default Re: If you know how to make battle models, please help me. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

But if I merge the two models with Milkshape. Wouldn't that combine the skeletons and bones of both models? I mean the bones of the mesh file AND the ones of the cas file would be in one single model then?

I don't know if there is a way to erase bones that you don't want to use (there probably isn't a way).

If I were to do that, could I simply assign the bones of the mesh file and leave the ones of the cas file unassigned? Would that be fine?

When you open the cas model in Milkshape, make sure you have Show skeleton ticked in the Joints tab, then go to the Model tab and choose the Select tool and then in the Select Options choose Joint. Select the skeleton and delete it.

Ah, so THAT'S how to do it, then.

Thank you for the explanation.

I'm still fairly new to how to mod this game, so I apologise if my question seemed dumb.

No problem! There may be better ways but I've actually very rarely touched strat map character models.

Aaaaaaaaaand the model is all screwed up. Same result as always, nothing changed ��

Could it have something to do with me using GOM's mesh converter? I use it to convert the mesh file, because Modeler's Toolbox doesn't let me rebuild the skeleton.

Probably, I don't think you need to rebuild the skeleton at all.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Try to use GOAT instead of GOM, but GOM should work too in principle. Export your converted .cas file to .obj. Open your converted .mesh file, delete all the groups, do not delete the figure and attachments materials.

Import the .obj, delete the figure and attachment textures that were added (positions 3 and 4) Assign the vertex weights. Try to select the weapon faces and duplicate it. Give your duplicate group the primaryactive0 comment. Delete the weapon from the original group. Give a group comment to replace the 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.

Upload your work if you want me to double check it for you.