Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a virtual SSD - is this possible?

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

Default Creating a virtual SSD - is this possible?

Soooooo I have a 120gb ssd and it's running out of space. Is it possible to create a virtual ssd? If so would you happen to know the step by step instruction to create one? I have windows 7 btw :p
    Thanks

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Creating a virtual SSD - is this possible?

Hey,

You can find a very easy to follow guide here.

BUT
    ...Virtual disks are not recommended for every day use. They're most commonly used as emulators for testing or safety-backup storage.

Another alternative for pure storage is using Google Drive, iCloud, OneDrive, and Dropbox, but don't think a VD as an alternative for running games etc.

IMO, it'd be better (and actually quite cheap) to just trade you old one for a newer-bigger model. You can easily find them under 70-80 euros atm.

If you need any recommendations, just let me know

Thank you

z3n's Avatar State of Mind

Only a real SSD has real performance, virtual doesn't do anything. You need a new real SSD if you want SSD-like performance.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Hello, I have another question to ask. So one of my friends giving away a gtx 560ti 1GB graphic card. Is this enough to play star wars the old republic? Rest of my specs are:

i5 4670k cpu
    16 GB rams
    750w power supply

Thanks again

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Why would you integrate with that specs a 11 year old card with only 1 Gigabyte RAM?

Its absolutely outdated, i'm still running a 9/10 year old NVidia GT 630 2 Gigabyte, it works but get quickly hot working with Teams/Zoom now, so i will update my old modding/ gaming / working PC soon, i would took a Nvidia GT 1030 2GB (109 €), a GTX 1050TI 4 GB (199-220 €) or a 1650 GB (>= 239 €).

But a GTX 530 Ti is tooo old and (power consuming). I would buy something newer.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Douchebag View Post
    Hello, I have another question to ask. So one of my friends giving away a gtx 560ti 1GB graphic card. Is this enough to play star wars the old republic? Rest of my specs are:

i5 4670k cpu
    16 GB rams
    750w power supply

Thanks again
    Nope, don't even think about it
    Like @Morticia already said, it'll be a total waste. FYI, your CPU isn't brand new, but it's ok and with such an outdated GPU, you'll actually harm your performance.
    You should really pair your CPU with a 1050ti, 1060 or even a 1070 (if you can find them) and you'll be set playing most of the popular gaming titles (ofc not the latest AAA ones) with high settings on 1080p

Ok, ty again guys. I turned him down

I'll probably just wait and get a full system upgrade.

Ok, ty again guys. I turned him down

I'll probably just wait and get a full system upgrade.
    Now that GPU prices are getting closer to MSRP, it will be a good time to upgrade. Especially if we're talking about used hardware. The new GPU and CPU series will actually be more powerful BUT according to various sources, users will need to upgrade their power supply as well.
    So if you're not willing to pay lots of money for a total upgrade, just look for used hardware in the following period or wait the early-mid summer sales for the current generation products
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 09, 2022 at 08:15 AM.

Star wars the old republic in PvP or story mode? If you're going to play PvP (it's been about 2 years since I had it installed) I doubt that card would be enough, because the engine sucks and is poorly optimized. So even with a super high end card you experience frame rate drops.

A 1060ti or something would probably be fine as people say. But just remember PvP lags even on super high end cards.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Now that GPU prices are getting closer to MSRP, it will be a good time to upgrade. Especially if we're talking about used hardware. The new GPU and CPU series will actually be more powerful BUT according to various sources, users will need to upgrade their power supply as well.
    So if you're not willing to pay lots of money for a total upgrade, just look for used hardware in the following period or wait the early-mid summer sales for the current generation products
    ok thanks for the advice, but im not interested in looking for used hardware. im super paranoid it might break or something.

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Star wars the old republic in PvP or story mode? If you're going to play PvP (it's been about 2 years since I had it installed) I doubt that card would be enough, because the engine sucks and is poorly optimized. So even with a super high end card you experience frame rate drops.

A 1060ti or something would probably be fine as people say. But just remember PvP lags even on super high end cards.
    im mostly into pvp, and yeah i know what you mean when you say it lags. i remember PVPing on tatooine with hundreds of players and my fps would dip down to 20 something. and this was on my 780 ti lol. i havent played SWTOR since 2017 though.

Also on 2nd thought, instead of getting a full system upgrade(which is sort of unnecessary right now) i was just thinking of snagging this 1050ti for $190 and a 1tb SSD for $79. And getting a full system upgrade late next year? Do you guys think this is a wise choice? Im just itching to get back into Star Wars the Old Republic, and im feeling a little impatient lol.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

I think that would be a good provisorium.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

ok thanks for the advice, but im not interested in looking for used hardware. im super paranoid it might break or something.
    No problem
    You can also find used hardware within warranty period, but it'll probably be a better choice for more expensive products. I'm also quite paranoid with used hardware, but sometimes if you're lucky you can find great parts.

Also on 2nd thought, instead of getting a full system upgrade(which is sort of unnecessary right now) i was just thinking of snagging this 1050ti for $190 and a 1tb SSD for $79. And getting a full system upgrade late next year? Do you guys think this is a wise choice? Im just itching to get back into Star Wars the Old Republic, and im feeling a little impatient lol.
    The specific 1050ti is ok. It's a good implementation and ofc very cheap atm, so if you're really anxious to play, just grab or if you can spare a few more bucks I'd suggest this one, as a much better and newer GPU with a real difference in FPS.
    For 1tb SSD I'd suggest this one instead. Sandisk isn't bad, but Crucial is a very trustworthy SSD manufacturer and my personal choice after Samsung's somehow more expensive products.

Thanks guys.

I found this on Ebay, a gtx 1660 on sale for $275:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/14439867727...QaAiaQEALw_wcB

Do you think this is legit? Its brand new too.

Can't really say if it's a legit seller. I'm not and avid EBAY user tbh. So, I guess you'll have to find out for yourself.
    Its a good GPU for 1080p gaming though

Ebay is heavily slanted in the buyers favor, I'd say go for it if you can't find a better deal.

If it's a scam it's easy to get your money back in my experience.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Ok thank you guys! I just found out that newegg is selling a gtx 3050 for $329, so I might go for that instead. We'll see what happens.
    As always, thanks!

Ok thank you guys! I just found out that newegg is selling a gtx 3050 for $329, so I might go for that instead. We'll see what happens.
    As always, thanks!
    Well, with a 3050 gtx, you'll be able to play most AAA titles (NOT on extreme settings but on high for sure) and ofc on 1080p

Rtx 3050 is pretty good, I'd go for it if you're only wanting to play swtor and a few other games. Its performance is probably close to a 1070ti. The 4000 series is coming out but nobody will be an to buy it anyway.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Rtx 3050 is pretty good, I'd go for it if you're only wanting to play swtor and a few other games. Its performance is probably close to a 1070ti. The 4000 series is coming out but nobody will be an to buy it anyway.
    I'm definitely gonna pass the 4X series. Totally unneeded for my personal 1440p setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast