Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How does this game compare to R:TW?

I only play MP. And in that world RTW sucks wind and VI rules by a mile. NTW and ATW are some great mods among many for it. Beides that. No offense to any of you who startewd with RTW. But in general the people who play it have little honor . MTW in that respect was totally different and better. Though now days the MTW players arent much more mature than the RTW ones. Those of us in VI however have kept ourselves above the fray.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

What name do you play under Rush? You can find me as {KoL}DarkKnight{King}.

Civitate

Well RTW is better for some reason, but if your bored of RTW then give MTW a go. Its harder, and has an excelent campaign.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Arcarius's Avatar I Am Fable

Default Re: How does this game compare to R:TW?

RTW was the first tw game i had ever played, so i thought it was the best, i just got MTW not too long ago, and i have uninstalled all of my rtw:mods except SPQR, in my opinion MTW my not have as good graphics, but it sure as hell kicks the crap out of RTW in gameplay, and the AI is way better in MTW then RTW.
    Formerly Heilige Legioen, and the original Fable

jj_mclure's Avatar Laetus

I know this thread is old. but, MTW is old and creaky and gets really boring after awhile. RTW is just different. you can't really compare the 2. and since the RTW patches to 1.5/1.6 the game is far more interesting than MTW. MTW was awesome but it's time is over.

besides, i don't know about you people but MTW hates XP and nvidia chipsets.

Quote Originally Posted by jj_mclure
    I know this thread is old. but, MTW is old and creaky and gets really boring after awhile. RTW is just different. you can't really compare the 2. and since the RTW patches to 1.5/1.6 the game is far more interesting than MTW. MTW was awesome but it's time is over.

besides, i don't know about you people but MTW hates XP and nvidia chipsets.
    Loil man the diplomacy in Mtw is way better,MTW is by far still good and its time will never be over.In that game you are actually trying to fight to survive,attack the wrong faction and you will lose,unlike in rtw where I beat 5stacks of crappy computer armies with one general.The ai in RTW is limited because of the change of the map.there are many more options to do with the map in RTW then MTW so the computer is often bogged down.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

RTW has loads more bells and whistles and is more complex but is far far inferior to MTW.

For pure gaming goodness which is almost perfect in it's execution...MTW all the way. Sure the graphics are pretty simple and you can moan about the lack of diplomatic options, but it's simple and it works almost flawlessly. The same cannot be said for Rome which gets incredibly tedious.

Hell the ai when engaged in diplomacy has the attitude of hitler...,peace treaty now and give me back all my land!

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748

jj_mclure's Avatar Laetus

yeh maybe you are right.

Hopefully MTW2 will have both of the features of RTW and MTW good ai,and kingdom diplomacy.

Praetorian prefect's Avatar Laetus

Medieval will always be one of my favorite games but Rome is a little bit better in some aspects.

Civitate

Rome seems to be a more modern game, as it includes a 3D campaign map etc, but MTWs risk stlye camp map will always be good, for the simple reason that its... simple. RTW could get a little complicated on the camp map at times, for example army moving points, sometimes an army would run out of them just before it reached a city, but with MTWs checkboard stlye, this dosent happen, an army is either in or out of the prov.

But RTWs 3D map has many strenghts too. On a strategic level, it beats MTWs hands down. Ambushes can be set, valleys blocked and the high ground can be taken, these were all either done randomly or were not possible in MTW.

But MTWs simplicity payed off as well. For example, the AI in MTW was not briliant, but the uncomplicated and straight forward system made it easyfor the AI to decide what to do etc. There were no other options for it to do, it could either do it or not, no room for error.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Caio Mario's Avatar Civis

I continue playing Medieval and I think it's better than Rome.. (of course graphic can't be compared... I'm talking of gameplay and...the atmosphere..)

well a campaign on MTW is by far better than a rome's one, but romes battle are unmatched.

as Imperator said LET US HOPE THAT MTW2 WILL HAVE THE BEST THING OF THE 2 GAMES, that would be a game you'll never tire to play.

ps: about the campaign , another better thing is that you dont do 1000 stupid meanless battles every turn like rome, you just fight the big ones such as crusades or final battles.

History is a set of lies agreed upon.
    - Nappy B.

The only fact in history.

I've ordered Medieval: Total War Gold Edition, and in anticipation of it arriving in the post, have been looking through forums, including those at totalwar.org. I can safely say that I'm returning to MTW because of nostalgia. Exactly why I returned to both AOE Gold Edition and AOK Gold Edition. I haven't even bothered with AOE III, and doubt I will. Especially with what has been said about the limitations on the editor and whatnot.

I just feel (and this is just me - it is on an individual basis) that they don't make games like they used to. The graphics of M2:TW...they just seem...I dunno. It just looks too cocky to me. There is far too much emphasis on graphics these days. Far too much. We get all the hype of a game, then when it comes out, the content isn't what we expected. Yet everyone looks in awe at the graphics - until they get disappointed by the content. There are very few games that can manage to have great graphics yet great content to match - Half Life games, Unreal Tournament games; and possibly the Total War series for the most part. There are other games too...but, it is the content that matters. You can have all the graphics you want, but at the end of the day, it's what's in the game - not what it looks like. It's basically like a novel - the cover might look amazing, but when you open the book and read that first line, that is the deciding factor of whether the story is any good, or whether it is total crap and the cover meager eye candy. Yes, that's the word...eye candy. That's what games are turning into far too much, without any depth. Plus, what with all the sequels games get...that's another issue. Sometimes enough is enough with just two or three games. Jupiter knows the movie industry beats games there, though, with the sequel issue...

They just don't make games like they used to in my opinion...

I beeing a TW veteran who has played all three online and in sp mode alot must say that MTW is the best game so far. The strategy map ai sucks in Rtw and so does the messy control over troops, formations... and i could go on in about every aspect of the game in comparison with Mtw. Perhaps its more fun to have troops on the castle walls than behind thats about the only improvement... Mtw is a true classic that got lesser review point mainly because they who review favor graphics and action over playability and realism.

Thing is, some realism has to be sacrificed for playability. Otherwise, the gameplay can suffer. Of course, if anyone has played Lusted's Terrae Expugnandae mods for RTW...though it is geared towards gameplay and not realism, it does a far better job. CA has a habit of putting in ridiculous units that don't even add to gameplay, yet alone realism. Praetorian Cavalry anyone? Urban Cohort? Ring any bells? No...Arcani, that has to be the best example.

Yep, there's gameplay with some realism in at least...then there's gameplay with idiocy in.

Playability in tearms of strategymap funcionality and interface as well as unit controll, behaviour and their speed is far better in Mtw... i was really disapointed with Rtw. I will ofcourse try the terra e mod to and hope for improved feel of the game

I loved MTW. Seriously, I still play it.
    To anyone who ever beat "Cloaked_Figure" At MTW:VI, I want a rematch!

Internazionale's Avatar Campidoctor

Now its **** xD We have M2TW now! What a old thread! Like 4 years old.. :OO

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast