Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How does this game compare to R:TW?

Libertus

MTW has a much better feel i think, i prefer it, both campaign and battle map. this may well be because dropping from 100man units to 20 man units (i have to use lowest unit number setting) is an annoyance. i also want shorter campaigns, like in medieval, where you can start at a more advanced level so you dont have to start with town watch again...
    ai is better yeah, considerably in my opinion, used to MTW ai i lost horrible against an outnumbered force of only cavalry in my first v/h v/h
    "We are not retreating, merely advancing in a different direction"

Civitate

It's hard to go backwards. In my case, I have played MTW more than any other game...maybe more than all other games combined. I had never played ShogunTW, and found it in the bargain bin so I gave it a whirl. But not for long...MTW was that much better. Now I have RTW. I doubt that I'll ever play MTW again, even though it is my all time favorite. RTW is that much better.
    I'd rather be historically accurate, than be politically correct.

.I love Medieval total war, i have it installed still and thought i would play both (u know kind of take the game all throughout history) but roman total war is way way better. The campaign map just blows medieval total wars to hell. There is strategic war now not just tactical. In roman total war you can lose tactically but win strategically. (by destroying enough troops to prevent the fall of a city, or something
    I Came, I Saw, I Tried to Conqure, My Men all routed

I enjoy the battles in MTW more. The AI is better, the setting is good, and there was just more thought put into it. Princesses, religions, inquisitors, assassins, and the ability to use them on anything. Marrying your own bloodline, assassinating your own generals or YOURSELF, the same with inquisitors. The units are more varied, there's a lot of history (in campaign descriptions mostly). The strategy map and the chess pieces were just freaking awesome.

Rome has better music, a great setting, but this isn't really elaborated on enough as they could have. The strategy map could be very powerful if the AI knew how to use it. The battles are fun but too short, at least compared to MTW. The units don't seem varied enough between factions. Ambushes are fun but really hard to make the AI fall into the trap. Ships, trade, and economy are handled better (on very hard). The family tree is a really good way to generate generals. Vices and virtues are more fun, but could be more interesting, and retinues are a great addition.

I just have too much trouble comparing the two. If RTW had the same polish as MTW did, RTW would blow it out of the water with no contest.

RTW is great in some aspects, graphics is awesome. That's nice. But the AI is so stupid (almost as George W. Bush is :), that it just ruins the game. I'm going to play MTW again, despite I like more the hellenic era. It's great when don't have to care for "family" to have enough commanders and governors :)

I enjoyed MTW quite a bit more. I like the Medieval period more and I believe it to be a more popular period with gamers. MTW did have a more epic feel and I really dislike how all of RTW's units are based on the phalanx.

I just wish MTW had Rome's graphics and campaign map.
    "Always do right. This will gratify most people, and astonish the rest."
    -unknown

Everything about RTW is great except the gameplay. Even when I play deliberately without half the game features in order to give AI a chance, there is still no challenge after ~50 turns, depending on the faction. That seems to be CA's way - keep adding more and more stuff on. However the AI has been left behind. What good is an elaborate strategic map if it only serves to handicap the AI?

The multiplayer in RTW is also utter crap due to balance issues. CA could have easily made this part good, since it only requires cost adjustment as opposed to writing difficult AI. But alas, they care not.

Originally posted by H_man@Oct 23 2004, 07:12 PM
    Anyone who honestly thinks MTW is very strange. Shure theres better Ai but that is because of the slower moving soldiers. MTW is a very crappy game compared to RTW. MTW blows!!!! Now. The only reason anyone likes MTW more is because of your crappy adaptation to change. Ca made RTW alot better.......... The loyalty of generals isn't in this game because that is not realistic. All the generals are family members and want your family to succeed. In these times people were alot more loyal to their leaders.
    This really doesn't justisfy a response...

But accusing veteran players such as the 400 plus people including myself who support the Totalwar Multiplayer's Association of being unable to adapt shows your ignorance of the issues with Rome.

Personally it's the RealTime battles I'm concerned with over the campaign, which to me did feel rather "flat." It's ironic that things went from an engaging single player campaign with a flat map to a seemly "flat" campaign with an engaging map.

I don't like being negative, but posts like this bring it out in me, I'm sorry...

Btw the way I will debate anyone who believes RTW as surpased MTW. If you want to take a look at my arguements you can find them here

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index...&hl=classic+ui

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index...ic%20ui&st=100

I went back to MTW (Wesmod) until there's a patch and some total conversions out for RTW.

The AI had the same weaknesses, but game mechanics at least were adjusted to the mistakes it made - and even if I imagine RTW's battle AI with MTW's mechanics, I can't imagine it would be as bad as it is now...

It had more eras, more units which were far more varied, wasn't pretending to have a diplomacy system (yeah, yeah - I know - RTW has diplomacy - you just have to read a book to follow its completely wacky ways...), it had more epic battles, more possibilities (crusades, jihad) and interesting events during the campaign (Mongols).

The only things springing to my mind RTW does better are the graphics, the campaign map, the family tree and sieges.

I admit this is someones opinion who was a huge fan of MTW and someone who has never played it may not enjoy it as much after having played RTW first.
    Another thing is that I like the medieval period far better - I think it's more interesting and balanced for that type of game - the roman period is way too onesided, resulting in ridiculous tech trees for some factions...
    It also offers far more historically accurate units without having to rely on fantasy units as RTW does.

under the patronage of Belisarius

In my humble (hah) opinion (let the egg-throwing begin), Rome is a great game and in most aspects blows M:TW out of the water. However, Rome just lacks something that Medieval had. A certain epicness and a certain engaging quality that made Medieval a game impossible to put down. Rome improves, but when it got into the next generation of computer software and the like, it left behind something, and something very critical, too. I spent all the waking time I could playing M:TW before Rome came out, but don't play so much with Rome. Rome is, however, still a great game.

Fear the bunny.
    -Justinian

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Anyone who honestly thinks MTW is very strange. Shure theres better Ai but that is because of the slower moving soldiers. MTW is a very crappy game compared to RTW. MTW blows!!!! Now. The only reason anyone likes MTW more is because of your crappy adaptation to change. Ca made RTW alot better.......... The loyalty of generals isn't in this game because that is not realistic. All the generals are family members and want your family to succeed. In these times people were alot more loyal to their leaders.
    :devil

You don't have a clue...

"All the generals are family members and want your family to succeed. In these times people were alot more loyal to their leaders." You say? Well i guess the long list of assassinations and revolts in the roman empire (and all the others) never happened.

MTW is a very crappy game compared to RTW
    Why? doesn't have all the 3d thingies you can't live without?

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

I liked MTW more then Rome total war actually. But hopefully mod artists will pick up were the CA crew dropped off.
    An Independent Texas is just what the American people need a natural lightning rod to draw away the lowest elements of society into voluntary emigration out of the country.

Tufturk

Obviously, RTW has improved on MTW in many respects, but what I most appreciate is the new trade system. The strategic AI was crap in STW, crap in MTW and is even more crappy in RTW, and though the new map and style of movement is very nice, it hasn't enhanced the game's playability as it should have. Moving the focus from province to city holds promise, but as each province still contains just one city, the production rate remains constant (someone holding Egypt still can't raise a huge army in a short time, as they did historically), and keeping the population happy means more management (I'll never let the AI auto-manage anything in any game, and I'm sure there are others like me...).

Mercenaries are handled much better in RTW, and though the new system of retinue is refreshing, it quickly becomes a bore ("Ok, Julius is gonna die soon, and he's got a Librarian and a Silk Merchant (and 6 other, less useful retainers) that I'd like to keep. I could move Viblius into the city, but he's already got 8 retainers, so I need to transfer this useless Chirugeon to someone else, who can then transfer the Chirugeon to the old guy and carry the Librarian to Marcus, who has 7 retainers, and he can unload his Pet Lion to Tracius, so that he'll get two free slots, but I can't enter Mediolanum with Tracius, becuase then he'll probably pick up another useless retainer, so I better stay outside and risk being killed. Wait, I can move these three Principes to join Tracius, so he'll be less vulnerable, and perhaps these Hastati, if I lower the tax rate in this city first and move this single Triarii in... and so on").

To me, the biggest disappointment with Rome is its predictability. The Selucids will always be destroyed. The Brutii will always head east and always defeat the Greeks and the Macedonians. The Scipii will always go to Africa and defeat the Carthaginians and Numidians. The Julii... well, when the AI has 'em they never seem to get started, do they? In MTW, there was always uncertainty as to how the big picture would turn out: Who would come out on top in Iberia, the Spanish or the Almohads? Would the Byzantines go offside and get destroyed or would they crush the Turks? Would the French defeat the English? The Germans? Who would bear the brunt of the Mongol invasion, Russians or Turks? Who would get excommunicated, where would crusades strike? Civil wars? Who would get burned by the Inquisition? I hope that mods and patches (I see I haven't even mentioned the bugs...) can rectify the situation somewhat (starting with a drastic reduction of Roman strength). For now, I have gone back to MTW.

Anyone tried Knights of Honor? It's actually a really good game, has some really good advances in the whole world map, it's better than Rome and medieval for the strategic European map, but the battlemap fighting is waaayy behind, still a good game to play though, especially for the guys who autoresolve their battles anyway.

Originally posted by Node@Dec 3 2004, 01:44 AM
    I enjoy the battles in MTW more. The AI is better, the setting is good, and there was just more thought put into it. Princesses, religions, inquisitors, assassins, and the ability to use them on anything. Marrying your own bloodline, assassinating your own generals or YOURSELF, the same with inquisitors. The units are more varied, there's a lot of history (in campaign descriptions mostly). The strategy map and the chess pieces were just freaking awesome.

Rome has better music, a great setting, but this isn't really elaborated on enough as they could have. The strategy map could be very powerful if the AI knew how to use it. The battles are fun but too short, at least compared to MTW. The units don't seem varied enough between factions. Ambushes are fun but really hard to make the AI fall into the trap. Ships, trade, and economy are handled better (on very hard). The family tree is a really good way to generate generals. Vices and virtues are more fun, but could be more interesting, and retinues are a great addition.

I just have too much trouble comparing the two. If RTW had the same polish as MTW did, RTW would blow it out of the water with no contest.
    Pretty much agree. The campaign game in MTW is better and more polished.

Originally posted by Arcaliea@Oct 1 2004, 04:30 PM
    MTW was very good, but RTW does surpass it. That said, MTW has a sort of complete, polished feel that most modern games like RTW lacks. (maybe i just feel that because of my laggy cursor, huh. )
    LMAO!!! :devil

Originally posted by Node@Dec 3 2004, 07:44 AM

What i was going to say.

Im a big RTW fan, its a great game....

just that recently ive been remembering back to my games of MTW and actualy caring about my fictional empire....

in Rome when i quit after a few hours i very rarely bother reloading the same empire/game.... i just dont care for it.

MTW is lacking in graphics but its just got more character.

definately a Gameplay>graphics case.

Knights of honor! Go oooaaannn you know you want to play the demo!

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Knights of honor? Well it's a decent game but highly unbalanced. ranged units completely own in the battlefield and there are several unpolished features there. Maybe Knights of honor 2 will be better.

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Although I preferred the setting of MTW, overall I prefer RTW. I like battles, especially sieges, far more. Zooming in to see the men fighting is brilliant, and in MTW the cavalry really annoyed me - you could charge chivalric knights into a unit of peasants and they'd just immediatly stop and fight hand to hand, whereas in RTW your cavalry literally run over weaker units. The campaigns aren't too long in RTW - I only ever had the patience to conquer the whole of Europe in MTW once.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast