Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How does this game compare to R:TW?

Valus's Avatar Natura, artis magistra

What if CA would update MTW using RTW graphics?
    A hole new game with better graphics, AI, and more units.
    Under the patronage of Søren
    The proud liege of Mimirswell, Proximus, Rhah, Phaedo and EmperorJulian

Former Moderator and Senatorii
    Member of the House of Caesars

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Originally posted by Valus@Oct 10 2004, 07:05 AM
    As long as they did not touch the battle system and only added eye candy it would be perfect.

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Miles

It would be cool if they added the campaign map too :w00t:
    Your deaths will all be cherished, for the glory of Rome!

Some have touched on this... but which AI seems to be better ? I would have thought RTW, since they have similar types of units with MTW... and hence time to improve RTW's AI... However, some at the RTW forum suggest that MTW's AI is far better, perhaps benefiting from a nice v1.1 patch.

Hopefully a comprehensive patch comes out soon for RTW as well...

Originally posted by James@Oct 10 2004, 06:09 PM
    Some have touched on this... but which AI seems to be better ? I would have thought RTW, since they have similar types of units with MTW... and hence time to improve RTW's AI... However, some at the RTW forum suggest that MTW's AI is far better, perhaps benefiting from a nice v1.1 patch.

Hopefully a comprehensive patch comes out soon for RTW as well...
    I don't see any major improvement in the battle AI in RTW. This was quite disapointing. I don't think the MTW AI is "better", it is just that the combat pace is slower so the AI as more time to try and correct its positional mistakes.

Stewie, Family Guy

Ah, thanks for the response Portuguese Rebel...

So if one applied one of the slowdown mods for RTW... then perhaps the battle mechanics would be comporable to MTW...

The problem with just a slowdown mod from what I can tell... is that battles will simply take longer to finish... yet with the same predictable outcomes... as opposed to giving me the impression that the AI is playing better...

I haven't tried one of the mods yet but I'm getting anxious to improve the gameplay... was hoping for a good patch soon...

Thanks again.

So if one applied one of the slowdown mods for RTW... then perhaps the battle mechanics would be comporable to MTW...
    As far as i know the slowdown mods have had troubles due to engine limitations (the engine has a max of 15 hit points :mad ).

Stewie, Family Guy

cfrobel

So far I havent got that epic campaign feel in RTW that I got in MTW, however I havent put nearly as much time into RTW yet. One thing that dissapoints me is how much deeper MTW was, unit and building wise. I do know when I return home for breaks MTW will be played over RTW since their cpu cant handle it.

With comparing the two, I would give Medieval a 7 while Rome I give a 9.5. I agree with others, Medieval feels like a polished version as Rome does not. Can't wait till the all inclusive patch comes out.....

insshc

well I just got rome total war, and I loved it after only an hour of playing it so I had to go back and also get medieval total war

for me personally, the rome graphics obviously blow away the medieval graphics, but personally I like the concept of playing in the medieval times better... my big wish is that medieval could be updated to rome graphics and general interface, but obviously keep the whole medieval concept... that'd be fantastic

Valus's Avatar Natura, artis magistra

I agree.
    I would give RTW a 9.5 and MTW 8.0
    Under the patronage of Søren
    The proud liege of Mimirswell, Proximus, Rhah, Phaedo and EmperorJulian

Former Moderator and Senatorii
    Member of the House of Caesars

Ok, I finally got around to trying MTW... after playing about three campaigns in RTW... RTW a great game, but I got a bit bored given the poor AI and whatnot, even on VH/VH. I then switched to KUF for the Xbox and finished that as well... so I thought I'd finally give MTW a try...

I installed the XL version that VikingHorde very kindly put together with help from others... It seems like a great mod that adds alot to the gameplay, although I never played MTW vanilla.

After one evening... I'm thinking MTW won't be worthwhile after playing RTW... it goes beyond graphics and bells and whistles... I find it's simply easier to control units in RTW and use group formations and whatnot... and it's also easier to see the action. As well, it's easier to manage settlements in the sense that you get a detailed breakdown of what's happening. I'm sure there are other significant improvements in RTW over MTW that I haven't seen yet since I'm not far enough along MTW to notice.

The gameplay is significantly different... given the way units move around the campaign map, the religious influence exerted by the papacy, moving princesses about, etc., but I'm not convinced yet that MTW should stay on my harddrive.

I was also considerng NTW and HTW, thanks to the generous work of those modders as well, but am questioning the utility of that now.

Anyway, it appears that these and other modders are kindly in the process of improving RTW as they did with MTW, so eventually I might get back into RTW again. Or, maybe CA will come out with a comprehensive patch to fix all the problems and especially give the AI some intelligent gameplay.

for me personally, the rome graphics obviously blow away the medieval graphics
    The MTW graphic engine is very old now and it runs on stone age computers... If rome did not blow those graphics away it would not diserve to have gone gold.

I find it's simply easier to control units in RTW and use group formations and whatnot
    That's because you are used to RTW's way. I for once can control my army almost blindfolded (ok, maybe not but still... )

Or, maybe CA will come out with a comprehensive patch to fix all the problems and especially give the AI some intelligent gameplay.
    Looking at CA´s history, they will fix bugs (the major ones) but won't improve the AI. Then they'll say that in the new expansion the AI will be ubber better... Then you buy it and the AI is still crap and they'll say that "we didn't had enough time because we are working on our new game [insert next TW game] and peeps will go wild with excitement again...

Until now i've seen this happen twice. Once in Shogun (expansion mongol invasion) and then in MTW (viking invasion).

Stewie, Family Guy

Dedalus

the only thing i miss from MTW are the longbowmen and the princesses. there's something about marrying the brothers and sisters and seeing the freaky offspring trying to run an empire oh the hilarity i had with that game

H_man's Avatar Decanus

Anyone who honestly thinks MTW is very strange. Shure theres better Ai but that is because of the slower moving soldiers. MTW is a very crappy game compared to RTW. MTW blows!!!! Now. The only reason anyone likes MTW more is because of your crappy adaptation to change. Ca made RTW alot better.......... The loyalty of generals isn't in this game because that is not realistic. All the generals are family members and want your family to succeed. In these times people were alot more loyal to their leaders.

I liked the feel of MTW. RTW seems dumbed down and sped up and it takes away from the essence of the MTW experience I loved so much. When RTW is patched and polished a little more with the help of various mods then and only then can I say which one I like more. Right now I have to say MTW had more depth and pull for me to play it. I think it's because most of the gameplay mechanics are exactly the same in RTW as in MTW - and I've seen these things in MTW long ago. RTW has a groundbreaking graphics engine.... and that's about it. RTW is like Doom 3; fancy graphics, but nothing we haven't seen before otherwise.
    Violent military action by an occupying power against the inhabitants of an occupied country will only make matters worse.

- Kofi Annan -

The biggest overall difference I see between MTW and RTW (besides the obvious graphical upgrade) is in the campaign map. Sending out scouts, holding the chokepoints, having changes you make on the campaign map (eg, roads) appear in the battle map....all of these things have turned the campaign part of the game into something you can really sink your teeth into. They have taken a very simplistic part of MTW with the zone to zone movement and made it into something that takes great care and thought to do properly.
    "oooh a gypsy wind is blowing warm tonight, sky is starlit and the time is right. Now you're telling me you have to go...before you do there's something you should know." - Bob Seger

Freedom is the distance between church and state.

Originally posted by Valus@Oct 10 2004, 01:05 AM
    RTW is using a different game engine, You cannot just update graphics.

Maybe not you - but you're not a game developing company are you?
    Violent military action by an occupying power against the inhabitants of an occupied country will only make matters worse.

- Kofi Annan -

They have taken a very simplistic part of MTW with the zone to zone movement and made it into something that takes great care and thought to do properly.
    Which doesn't mean squat because the AI is braindead.

Stewie, Family Guy

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast