Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Award Flinn for Divus.]

Default [Award Flinn for Divus.]

Awarded for distinguished contributions to the community and exceptional service to TWC as an administrator.

My intro
    Citizens
    Friends

It has been a long time since I posted an item for vote within the Curia and over a decade has passed since I was a member of staff and big contributor to the Curia. Since then I have been an observer who occasionally posts about the future of this community and the reason I do this is because this community will always be a part of my life and has given me skills and experiences which are relevant to this day. On this occasion I wish to be more direct in honouring someone who truly deserves it.

Back when I was 16 I stood in awe of the eloquence and intelligence of founding members such as Siblesz and Borispavlovgrozny. I formed friendships, rivalries and worked with such great people such as Garb, Asterix, Imb, tBC, Justinian, Legio and so many great people. Many of them forum part of the Divus community.

The Shakespearian quote, “'All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players” applies so aptly to both TWC and to societies at large. We have no control over the fact that one day we will exit the stage but we do have control on what we do with the time we have and what mark we try and leave. Since I have sat and observed TWC one person who always stood as an echo and carrier of the torch we once held - of the community spirit which has endured for years - is Flinn.

Flinn not only worked tirelessly in staff and kept parts of the site vibrant and active but he also built on what was done and improved it. Having ghosted in the content forums for a long time it became very clear that Flinn was not only a good manager but also a leader, mentor and friend to many on the site.

The TWC community in many ways is a reflection of humanity and within our community we have had people passing through hard times, people lacking purpose, people who have suffered abuses - which I will not repeat here. Many of them reached out and found in TWC members who helped them in ways which I am sure affects them positively today. When I passed through bad times I found people, when I was an admin I hope that I also gave back and helped others and years later it is clear that Flinn has been one of those people who makes this community what it is, who personifies why it still exists.

Divus is an honour which for me holds a tremendous amount of symbolism. It includes people like Siblesz and gives a chronological representation of the different stages this community has based through, the acts to a never-ending play. Flinn came onto the stage and filled his act with content, activities, advice, support, friendship and brought people together. He deserves to join us and have his name etched upon TWC’s history.

TWC needs to remember all he has done as he joins us backstage for drinks as we wait for the next Flinn, the next Siblesz or the next Garb to take the stage.

Citizens, honour Flinn with Divus.

P.S Those of you who are still on the stage should remember, the show must go on, and it is the players not the props which keep the performance going. Keep the show going, even if you have to change the stage.

Flinn’s Hex history

Joined at end of 2016, resigned late 2021 (close to 5 years). During his whole tenure as a Hex he did not only take care of his duties, but was also constantly active in supporting other Staff departments (with suggestions, ideas, shared knowledge, suggesting new recruits, etc).

Content Hex, end of 2016 to mid of 2019. Over 50 articles published during his tenure (approximately one per month). During the same he cleaned up and reorganized most of the Content Fora (i.e. by creating the Communal Activity thread or the Content Support thread, among the other things), he created an updated Guide on how to use the CMS (Content Manage system), made a brand new Rep and Quills Guide for Directors (aimed at helping Content Directors, and Hex, with managing the rewards, i.e. reputation points and Scribe's Quills) of their Staffers, compiled a collection of the Signature bars for Content departments, etc…

Award Hex, de facto from end of 2016 to late 2021. Flinn started to manage the Site Awards (Member and Modding) as early as 2016, and fully completed the transition into a new staff department during 2018. Over all he managed and directed a total of 11 Awards (6 Member and 5 Modding). His management of the awards was characterized by the continue update of rules and categories, as well as constantly gathering feedback from the membership (mostly modders) and using those as a base to discuss and propose further updates and improvements of the same.
    The other main field of activity as the Award Hex was that of creating a brand-new Award, the CMS Blogger award, aimed at promoting and developing the use of the CMS to post member’s blog. At the same time he created a spotlight CM SBlog with all the details about Blogging at TWC, a new wiki page dedicated to that (including some write-ups about the most active bloggers, written in his typical humorous style).
    Later on during his tenure he also worked on expanding the reach of the Milestone Award, and was committed to look for eligible recipients and award them accordingly. Overall more than 120 members have received this award from him, of which approximately 100 after he had the award reasoning expanded via Curial procedures.
    He as well worked extensively on the Wiki to review and update all the pages related to Awards (included the Curial ones).

Competition Hex, de facto from mid of 2018 until late 2021. He started by setting up the Curial inspired Post of the Fortnight Competition, which he directly managed for over 3 years until his retirement from Hex. Around the same time he created another brand-new competition, the Total Guess Competition, which immediately became popular and it’s still up and running after more than 3 years. He envisioned, developed and directly managed the TGC for about 2 years and a half, until he quit Hex. More than 30 members have received one or more of the TGC medals. He also took care of all the various Community Competitions, by reviving many of them (and including most in the TGC).
    Lottery; upon creating the Competition Hex position, he started up with a site-wide lottery, aimed at both finding a name for the new competition that later became the TGC as well as giving out few game keys.
    Various other graphic competitions; both in conjunction with the Content Hex and Staff and exclusively as Competition Hex, for a total of 8. While still in Content he also had a major supporting role in setting up and running the Picture of the Year 2018! and a couple of editions of the Scriptorium Competition (mostly advertisement and admin stuff).
    He reorganized completely the structure of the Competition fora, mostly by cleaning up the dead ones, updating and restructuring all the links to the different subfora, improving descriptions, etc.
    As like he did with the Award pages, he also reworked and updated all the Competition Wiki pages.

Pro-Tempore Gaming Hex, as the name itself says, it was meant to be a temporary supporting role, which he took care of for close to 2 years (early 2020 to late 2021). His duties were mostly about giving out reputation rewards and awards to both the Hotseating community and Staff and the RPG Staff. He also supported the Hotseating Staff with their annual Hotseat Awards.

Supporting Modding Hex, while modding being basically the only field at which Flinn did not contributed directly, around mid of 2019 he joined the Modding Staff as a supporting Hex, until its final disband during March 2020. In this role he acted mainly as advisor and helped managing the Modding Staff.

Few more figures:
    - Over all more than 70 members have worked with or under Flinn as Staffers or Committee Members
    - Three times winner of the TWC Staff Award
    - Two times winner of the TWC Content Award

For a complete recap of Flinn’s contributions, including all those carried out as a member of the Hexagon Council and Administrator of the site, you are invited to check his wiki page, which also includes all the links to the whole material and work mentioned above (where applicable).

- Beli
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: [Award Flinn for Divus.]

Easy support! Extremely deserving!

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

I support Flinnus Divus' recognition as a fellow deity.

He has proven himself deserving time and time again.

I mean look at this guy. I'm not even 30, and I have more grey hair and fewer hair in general than this beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Alone the pure amount of his contributions as Admin show clearly, he deserves Divus. And additionally: he is a good soul, never negative, making you smile on a bad day and finally a very appreciated friend.

Support.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Support!

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Did not delete the site. Disappointing.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Oh why not. Give it to him!
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Support, but I think we should make him beg for it first.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

One of the easiests supports for sure!

Eventhough I didnt serve directly under Flinn, whenever I approached him about various matters, he was always super friendly and helpful

Definitely easy support. I think Belisarius's op has summed it up well, so I can't add much, but can personally vouch for the amount of work he's done behind the scenes in the modding awards and content sections, and for the support given to other staff areas.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen Administrator Emeritus

I've only popped back recently and can tell you now, that Flinn has already impressed me with his drive, energy, commentary and abilities.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

The Gods love a trier.

Support.

And thanks to Bel for reminding the Curia, without the effort of pomp, the Curia is meaningless.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; April 04, 2022 at 06:51 AM.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Hmmm I say we wait to see if he rejects the nomination first. It’s becoming an integral Curia tradition that I say we maintain.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

This is an easy thing to stand behind. Besides all of the obvious and overt contributions to the site, Flinn is always a force for betterment in the community, and does his utmost to cultivate a truly good spirit here. Such an honor is well due, indeed!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

All jokes aside Flinn obviously is and has been the shining light on this forum for quite a long time. Even if he said “Ah dun wan eet” again I’d finally force his Jon Snow ass to accept our love and desire to recognize him. I think on top of all the accolades, nothing exemplifies Flinn’s value to the site as much as how active he used to be in PH&A when that sub forum was active. He’s just a positive, helpful, and good dude (some might even say THE Dude) and honestly even writing this feels more like vanity given everyone else here should already know everything I’m saying here.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

You guys know exactly what is going to happen, right?

Anyway, what son could I be if I wasn't supporting Daddy
    A well deserve one
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Although I will never quite understand while he insisted on being 'my son' for years now, in the end I just went with it. And an online daddy has to do the right thing for his son. But even without this somewhat weird connection, there is plenty reason to SUPPORT this wholeheartedly.
    Last edited by Veteraan; April 04, 2022 at 11:18 AM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    Hmmm I say we wait to see if he rejects the nomination first. It’s becoming an integral Curia tradition that I say we maintain.
    Flinn! Accept the nomination please!

Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I know what he wants...

Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

He will only accept if a sufficient bribe is provided. In true Silvio fashion

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

The pantheon awaits - approved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast