Thread: Any Total war with good historical battles?

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Any Total war with good historical battles?

Which Total War games have good historical battles? I see Troy does not have and Empire very few scenarios. Any suggestion?

Default Re: Any Total war with good historical battles?

In Rome II, they are a bit meh. Some of them, like the battle of Pydna are essentially a random custom battle with no relevance to what actually happened. Rome I's are much better and some of them offer a unique challenge. On the other hand, Medieval II's are more boring and generic, in my opinion. The two games supposedly excelling in historical battles are Alexander and Napoleon. They are part of a wider narrative of recreating the military careers of these two legendary commanders, where winning one battle unlocks the rest. They feel a bit absurd sometimes: Trafalgar is a mess and for some mysterious reason, in the battle of Lodi, your most important objective is to kill Beaulieu. In reality, Beaulieu survived the battle and capturing him was not part of Napoleon's strategy. Anyway, despite these shortcomings, I would say that the historical battles in Rome I, Alexander and Napoleon are the funniest in the series.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

My experience with historical battles is rather mediocre because the AI doesn't behave as we'd expect it to. You've got a historical set-up but then the AI does it its own way, which is way off from what actually had happened. However, this might be related to the fact that I play only mods, and they are optimised for the likely situations there.

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    In Rome II, they are a bit meh. Some of them, like the battle of Pydna are essentially a random custom battle with no relevance to what actually happened. Rome I's are much better and some of them offer a unique challenge. On the other hand, Medieval II's are more boring and generic, in my opinion. The two games supposedly excelling in historical battles are Alexander and Napoleon. They are part of a wider narrative of recreating the military careers of these two legendary commanders, where winning one battle unlocks the rest. They feel a bit absurd sometimes: Trafalgar is a mess and for some mysterious reason, in the battle of Lodi, your most important objective is to kill Beaulieu. In reality, Beaulieu survived the battle and capturing him was not part of Napoleon's strategy. Anyway, despite these shortcomings, I would say that the historical battles in Rome I, Alexander and Napoleon are the funniest in the series.
    Thank you for your detailed answer. Unfortunately I do not have Rome Total War as it was not working well on my computer, but I purchased Rome Remastered some months ago. Hopefully this one has historical battles as well.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Incendio View Post
    Thank you for your detailed answer. Unfortunately I do not have Rome Total War as it was not working well on my computer, but I purchased Rome Remastered some months ago. Hopefully this one has historical battles as well.
    Are you using mods?
    Because most big mods advice against Historical battles (AI issues). If not, I agree with Abdul and my personal favorite is mostly Alexander's.