Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Science will not win over Religion

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Science will not win over Religion

Or mistranslate the hebrew scripture or the greek translation to get the wished meaning.

I knew from my own ears how boys can mistranslate Ars amatoria from Ovid to something militaristic, when he's talking about ... love.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Or mistranslate the hebrew scripture or the greek translation to get the wished meaning.

I knew from my own ears how boys can mistranslate Ars amatoria from Ovid to something militaristic, when he's talking about ... love.
    Indeed bad translation is how we get Augustine's concept of original sin.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

conon394,

Jesus once said that not one word of His would be lost and the proof of that is that the Bible is the most published Book of all time, no other books coming close nor ever will, why? Because it is the Word of God and does the Supernatural to this day for men and women burdened by their sin. I wasn't saved by Augustine, rather by Someone more important Whose name is what the Bible is all about. I mean do you really know Hebrew better than James White or RC Sproull? I think not. Why Peter himself says that to understand properly the Scriptures one must be led by the Holy Spirit.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

I mean do you really know Hebrew better than James White or RC Sproull? I think not
    Possibly not. But Sproul is a Calvinist thus theology goes bake to Augustine and that mans development of original sin due both being dependent on a poor Latin translation of the Bible and his residual Manichaeism. Your interpretation of the Bible is very much driven by Augustine.

Jesus once said that not one word of His would be lost and the proof of that is that the Bible is the most published Book of all time
    Yes lets net out all those Gideone Bibles shall we and the one that are handed out at the county fair to become trash withing minutes shall we?
    Last edited by conon394; July 07, 2022 at 06:58 AM.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

conon394,

OK, what's the proper translation about Adam and Eve? Gideons use the KJV as their Bible just as I do so why would I trash it?

OK, what's the proper translation about Adam and Eve?
    That is vague note sure you are replaying to.

Gideons use the KJV as their Bible just as I do so why would I trash it?

I meant condensed version they (and others) hand out all the time at events in the US. They count toward published tally on a grand scale but are basically pointless outside of starting a fire or balancing furniture. Also KJV is a poor translation.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    That is vague note sure you are replaying to.

I meant condensed version they (and others) hand out all the time at events in the US. They count toward published tally on a grand scale but are basically pointless outside of starting a fire or balancing furniture. Also KJV is a poor translation.
    conon394,

The thing is that no matter what version one prefers, me the KJV, the glorious truth is that every version contains it, that being that the only way to have eternal life is to be born again of the Spirit of God and so not spend eternity in a living hell. Jesus Christ is that glorious truth for there is no other means by which a man may enter heaven.

The KJV and the NKJV are the greatest published book of all time, why? Because God saw to that, simple.

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    conon394,

The thing is that no matter what version one prefers, me the KJV, the glorious truth is that every version contains it, that being that the only way to have eternal life is to be born again of the Spirit of God and so not spend eternity in a living hell. Jesus Christ is that glorious truth for there is no other means by which a man may enter heaven.

The KJV and the NKJV are the greatest published book of all time, why? Because God saw to that, simple.
    Or a lot poor versions of them pumped and dispersed for free by people.

conon394,

Why don't you then write what you think the correct version should be?

"Believe science" people are gullible cultists to the same extent as "believe the lord" crowd. Only difference is that latter has its scriptures so deep cultism is usually rejected, while IFLS types will literally believe anything "authoritative" sources say and will call you heretic "cosncpiracy theorist" for pointing out any conflict of interest or precedent of "authoritative scientific source" being wrong in the past.
    Science is a process, where via riteless testing and experimentation you test hypothesis, hence the "scientific method". Which has nothing to do with modern science worship.

Heathen Hammer,

Just as science is experimental so is the coming to believe that there is a God Who created us and science, the coming to know God personally, is experienceially.

conon394,

Why don't you then write what you think the correct version should be?
    Well am Agnostic so I'm not looking for the some perfect version but you want the reading list I have and/or would recommend? Because it ain't just one.
    Last edited by conon394; July 10, 2022 at 12:55 PM.

conon394,

The message is the same, " Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved." Saved from what? Eternal damnation. " No man can come to the Father except by Me and no man can come to Me except the Father draws him." It's all of God not man and as is written He looks for the broken and contrite heart which acknowledges its sin and seeks repentance. That's when God moves to regenerate the unbelieving heart to one that is a new creation in Christ Jesus.

Sogdog's Avatar Centenarius

"Science will not win over Religion"

It already has.

Quote Originally Posted by Sogdog View Post
    "Science will not win over Religion"

It already has.
    Sogdog,

And how do you make that out?

Sogdog,

And how do you make that out?
    Well in effectively describing the world in measurable ways such that advances like the very internet we are chatting on exists.

conon394,

Just as God planned it.

Inshallah huh...

conon394,

Yes, just as He planned it.

conon394,

Yes, just as He planned it.

Thus there is no original sin by your logic