Thread: EBII's battles can sometimes feel like whack-a-mole

Default EBII's battles can sometimes feel like whack-a-mole

I understand what the team is going for, making better battles than vanilla while staying clear from RSII-esque grindfests, but honestly battles can be a bit frustrating sometimes. The entire enemy line has collapsed in a rout but that one unit of akontistai (sic) that retreated at the start of the battle has rallied, ready for more? It doesn't feel very realistic, and I feel like I'm constantly playing whack-a-mole, after the initial clash just constantly routing and re-routing the same units repeatedly.

I can respect the teams design philosophy, but personally I think I lean more towards the grind-fest.

Default Re: EBII's battles can sometimes feel like whack-a-mole

I think the AI cannot be improved much further than it already is in EB2, and other mods.... the game was meant to have fast battles with many units routing just after the initial charge of knights or elite infantry. EB2 makes things much slower, but it can also be boring sometimes, think about siege battles or bridges.

Well, I tend to after winning a cav fight. Run down broker units so that they never return. Work good for missile units out of ammo; if you won the cav batter.

The length of the battle doesn't bother me, but I think units would seek a new battle line than rush back to combat.

It's annoying, but I don't see an easy solution. Could just make units more likely to rout out of the map, but routing units should be able to regroup with each other and form a new battle line. Problem is, the AI won't do that, rather it'll just send the individual units back into battle, who will usually flee again before they even engage.

Quote Originally Posted by m0rshu View Post
    It's annoying, but I don't see an easy solution. Could just make units more likely to rout out of the map, but routing units should be able to regroup with each other and form a new battle line. Problem is, the AI won't do that, rather it'll just send the individual units back into battle, who will usually flee again before they even engage.
    Actually, one realistic fix that seems easy (idk cause I didn't write the mod) would be: If the general is dead, which is most often the case in these whack-a-mole scenarios, routing units should flee off the map unless there's a friendly elite or "inspires nearby troops" unit nearby. Cause even if there are enough routing units to form a new battle line and win, I can't imagine them rallying together when they're all levies or something poor like that.

I understand your point but I don't think this a fail in the mod, the most of retreated units are light tier and they make a domino effect in the others. In my experience playing with Taksashila, in my first battle my front line gone because of the size of the enemy and they fled, he flank me but some heavly troops stand your ground and I win the battle with cavalry and Elephants - this can happen with you or your enemy. I think this a historical thing, how many battles we know there are decided in flanking maneuvers?
    Fall of the Republic & Rise of the Empire: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...FRRE-mod-links