Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Contributions, Fixes, Additions, Sub-Mods

Default Re: Contributions and User Modifications

I have a request. Can someone make a mod or explain to me how to put stone forts from Kingdoms into TLR campaign? ^^ Many thanks!

this feature is not yet implemented.... we are working on a non-kingdoms version at the moment, but for sure a must in future.

Saludos
    y
    Respeto
    -:-
    Greetings
    &
    Respect

Dominion of the Sword / The Long Road GFX designer / Zuma Team member.
    TLRaced GFX add on for TLR2.0
    www.andresgogo.com

Icon3 Re: Contributions and User Modifications

Hi guys!!!

This my first post and i want to say that TLR is one of the best mod for m2tw

I recently see that xeryx has release the 2.19 version of his AI.

Whi not use it for the long road? you can use that with the dath mod combat, how is doing naimad for his mod.

Please try it maybe for version 2.11 of the long road. This will be great!!!!

here there is the description:
    Major improvements from other AI's;
    Naval invasions:
    Are used to bring in troops for invasions and re-enforcements not just to move around diplomats and princesses.

Intense battlefronts: The AI is now trained in self-preservation, and has no problem regrouping for the counter offensive.

Rebel slaves: Will not take priority over a battlefront situation, depending on intensity or odds, but this can still be accomplished if you have the right amount of forces. During peace, the AI will be relentless in taking settlements. The Slave issues have now been tamed! (This may need balanced on a per mod basis)

Building AI's: XAI holds true to them, It actually builds what it is suppose to and does not get confused, or locked up. Depending on the mod's units, there is a risk of being unbalanced, so be careful!! This can completely change a campaign and a faction during game.

Diplomacy: Works like it never has before!! You will be approached with offers throughout the game, I also recommend trying to get the XAI attack your neighbors!!

Alliances: Occur as they would in real life!! if you have a common foe, alliances will form depending on the threat of course. You will get natural alliance blocks, the better you perform the more you will be able to make. If you cannot be trusted, or become a warmonger! You better be strong and a good player.

Religion: Is now a significant power in the game, as was intended. There will be much tension, between the factions of different religions.

Garrisoning: The more important the city, or closer to a threat the more the XAI will protect it. The AI will pull its available armies back, if there is a sneak attack. It is the best it possibly can be within the game. The XAI wil not garrison up troops more than it has to, It will keep troops in the vicinity in dangerous areas. If there is no threat, it will not garrison, unless it's the capital. This makes for a much stronger opponent.

Fog of War; Now has new meaning, it is actually FUN!!! to watch the XAI. FOW now applies to the strategic level now because you no longer have a passive AI. (The toggle_fow in the command console.) If you do not use your watchtowers you may miss something!! Like an invading Fleet or Army!!

Difficulty levels; For the human player it is easy to get advantages, so I have incorporated Difficulty levels to challenge, not handicap, the player These affect alliances and likelihood of getting attacked. These are also easily removed if the Mod Maker does not want them.

Revolutionary: This is 10x more ambitious than any previous attempt, even ours!! It uses techniques that have never been tried!! (this was my idea a many months ago) In fact it is simply the best approach! This mod sets a new standard in AI development; it will be hard to beat. We have over one hundred conditions for each AI (except Papal), and we have added Orthodox and Islamic religion. Finally!! There is no more need to handicap, the HUMAN player!! Other than political or intensity levels.

Realistic AI: The AI does not get "stuck" in most situations, it will build, explore, probe defenses, and do everything it is suppose to. I am sure you will still see an occasional oddity, but it is VASTLY improved over any other mod to date. To give you an idea the Vanilla AI has a 159 commands that can be processed 2 at a time (defense and Invasion) The XAI, has double the amount of code (for the same # of factions) and only one quarter of them are an early out decisions. (one choice decision then it ends the thinking) All the rest are designed to work together, in a multi-path cumulative decision process. XAI has well over 50x the decision making power!!! We are no longer in the stone ages, we are in the Darth Ages!!

POPE: Most of his work will be behind the scenes, but if war is declared by or upon him. They can unleash their full fury!! and are they also free to invade rebels. Otherwise they do not mess with neutral nations. I recommend you do not get, excommunicated!!. The XAI has no problem declaring war on you, the more evil you play, the more they will attack you. Remember the AI is no longer inactive. It is quite possible, that every Catholic, Orthodox , and Islam factions may declare war upon you, you have been warned! After all it is easy to kick you when your down!!

Experience: This AI was build by strategy gamers that have over 30 years experience in various types of strategy gaming. We aren't professional programmers.

Like any new mod, I'm sure it can be improved and even with our extensive testing it could have a bug. Naimad and I have put in a total of over seven hundred hours into the XAI, so please appreciate that. We have thought of many rules for the AI to follow and will be looking for more unique ways to improve this mod. If it turns out you like it, just say thanks and use it in your favorite mod. As you may have already figured out, this is the first of our CORE mods and it is the most important. This mod is designed to be incorporated into any mod. I have included Tags for any moder to understand what the decisions do. This will make adjustment easier, be warned however the AI is very easy to mess up!! So, if you have a questions on how to mod the AI then please ask. This file is not for the novice!!

The affects of other files on the XAI
    I would like to wrap it up by talking about some things, that may cause some unintended results in whatever mod you pick.

Movement and Supply mods that hinder the human player's movement will now put you at a major disadvantage. These mods were designed to challenge the Human because of an AI that could not make adequate decisions. I strongly suggest that unless they are redesigned to do the same to the AI, that you disable them. You will have to seek the mod makers advice on how to best do this. (sorry to any of those mod makers...but I think you will understand)

Money Scripts- Can cause an extreme unbalance in the game, they were put there because the AI did not spend it's money properly. That is not XAI's case.

In my testing I have found that the Production AI's (like trader smith) located in the desc_strat file should NOT use Balanced. As it will hinder that particular faction in it's expansion. Don't ask me why, I haven't got that far yet. I would venture to guess though, it conflicted within it choices and just can't make up it's mind. I have had very good results using any of the other production AI's available, besides it's a great way to add flavor to the campaign. A mods unit balance will affect the production AI's so this also needs to be balanced.

Auto resolve, a very big issue!! Auto-resolve needs to be balanced to what a human can do, in a personally fought battle. If it is not then it puts the Human in an advantage for expansion. This will take some experimentation on a per mod basis, because unit values are taken into consideration.

If there are large amounts of rebels or religious unrest, the XAI will concentrate on these areas first, before it's expansion. This is a great way to add difficulty to the game, even for the AI!!

Diplomacy file, can dramatically affect the alliance balance. I tried to keep it in the middle of the road as much as possible.

PS: sorry for my bad english

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

Do you have a link to this ai? That is quite a commercial...

Icon12 Re: Contributions and User Modifications

wow

Icon3 Re: Contributions and User Modifications

This is my first post here. I just downloaded The Long Road mod and played it since then, and I must say it's totally hilarious.
    The modders gave me just what I wanted from this game:

- a bigger map to explore and conquer

- a much more difficult and complex grand campaign

- superb local titles and banners

- the mercenary recruiting points (what a great idea!)

- grandmasters of the knightly orders (yess)

- much more realistic, history-like world, with a lot of extra info

I'd like to make some suggestions here to help improve the mod:

- it would be more real-life if you could recruit only or mainly local units (f.e. why could you recruit croat axemen in mosul???)

- the extra infos could include pictures, otherwise you wouldn't bother reading what you already knew

- a hot button for adopting potent generals to your family

- the privy council titles could grant much more power, than an ordinary "despot of x city" title

Thanks again for creating this mod, keep on delivering the good stuff!

Foederatus

Has anybody managed to include the Oppida (view settlement) mod into TLR? That would be quite cool.

???

Saludos
    y
    Respeto
    -:-
    Greetings
    &
    Respect

Dominion of the Sword / The Long Road GFX designer / Zuma Team member.
    TLRaced GFX add on for TLR2.0
    www.andresgogo.com

kepper's Avatar Artifex

Will came back it the help of Zuma
    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...get/video.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"> </iframe>

Has anyone considered pushing the start date back and adding crusaders states (KOJ or various principalities or dukedoms or counties)? Mod sounds amazing.

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

not at this time.
    Last edited by Condottiere SOG; December 07, 2008 at 10:09 AM.

Is it possible to tweak the AI so that it handles horse archers better both defensively and offensively?

I can take 6 units of unimproved cheap horse archers and beat ANY army the AI throws out because it does the same stupid things over and over.

To be honest, I could use the same units to defeat almost any non-computer opponant as well if they don't know how to defend against them. the difference is that even 16 year-old high school drop out losers can learn how to do this but the computer can't.

As I do a lot of auto resolve against the computer this has implications for troop selection. You never, ever, unless you have no other choice put horse archers or Vards in an AI resolved battle because they are simply wiped out. But, if you fight a battle youself you never want to be without them. They simply kill better than any other unit including gun powder units.

Here is a hypothetical but not uncommon example of what I mean.
    My Byzantine army of six Horse Archers and one family member is attacked by the Syrians with an army 8 militia spearmen, 4 Arab archers, two family members and two camel units and 4 arab infantry.

In short hand I have about 200 men versus over 1000. But, my horse archers have 4320 arrows.

I place my family member in the center of the map, in plane sight. I split the HA units into three groups of two. One group is with the family member and the others hide behind a hill or trees on each flank.

The AI masses its infantry and charges with the camels to try and frighten my horses. They die before they get close enough. While this is happening the hidden units flank the AI and pour arrows into the infantry but take a few losses from the foot archers

If the AI tries to meet the flank attack turning his spears and using his family members the the two HA units in front attack because they now have an expossed flank. If it doesn't meet the attack on the flank the foot soldiers are wiped out. Either way it loses. It never looks for flanking units until it is too late.

However, before long I run out of arrows, rather than waste my troops on a stupid charge against the armoured infantry and spears remaining I withdraw. I've killed 700 out of the Syrians 1050 troops. I've lost 35 horse archers.

The computer credits me with a loss but the next turn my Horse archers have more arrows and the Syrian is still down 700 men. Who wins the next encounter?

In such situations the AI needs to be smart enough to not attack or fall for the obvious trap. It needs to find high ground, advance through trees or have a circular hedgehog deffense with archers in the center. It never does. It actually need to be smart enough to not attack unless it has more archers. Let me attack them and I have a harder time
    Last edited by Gray Beard; December 03, 2009 at 08:16 PM.

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

@Spartan69 - thank you for the recommendation. However, I am at odds with some of the features that you advertise.

1. I do not want Rebels to be 'tamed' and easy to conquer.
    2. Battlefronts are not so easily defined with the current AI and more resembles Medieval warfare and not modern 1st world warfare.
    3. CAI builds just fine in this game...you see the AI building elite units early in the game as soon as they can manage it. They use the same units allowing them to rack up xp and rebuilding them before sending them into battle again if the opportunity presents itself.
    4. Diplomacy is brutal in TLR as it sets down a path of the weak falling before the strong...
    5. Nothing was more cool for me than to see HRE, Spain and England in a war with Scotland, France, Milan and Sicily..alliances work just fine...
    6. Religions determine a great many factors in TLR
    7. The existing AI defends itself and its assets very well.
    8. FOW works just fine...
    9. I never use any other level than Normal settings for battles as I want neither side to have advantage. I let the AI fight my battles...there are some amazing things to see when you let the AI, fight the AI. Generals win honours for themselves and not with my help...I usually command only one unit in any given battle.
    10. TLR is full of its own innovations...and has greatly influenced other mods on many levels.
    11. I wanted TLR to have a well rounded AI...so I went with one set down by Lusted although heavily modified to be suitable for Medieval conflict and standalone as an example of an AI that does its job with low processing management and stays within the guidelines of the program(.exe) strictures(ie - not variables above '999' - numbers higher than that are considered 999 or maxed out).
    12. The Pope does his job...no more no less...and will commit to battle or peace as he decides.
    13. XP in TLR works perfectly...in a lot of battles as the game progresses you will find the enemy with units with great xp - have fought Rebels and other factions - greatly deciding the outcome of battles that the Human player fights. Hence, the AI is quite resourceful and conservative. Nothing was more exciting than to see my fresh units of Foot Knights turned by a 'triple silver' 'veteran unit of Spear Militia...

As for other game functions - Movement is based on realistic travel times. Supply will hinder movement if the army is out of its bounds. I removed all the money scripts for the game. Starting money is based on historical wealth(scalar depending on faction) and the AI insures that spending is more 'intelligent' and source dependent on role-play(bad leaders make for a bad day). Auto-resolve has not been tweaked much and if you rely on it rather than fighting battles you will lose a great deal. Diplomacy result...and enemy knows when it is beaten and will negotiate peace. If the AI finds that it is in powerful position it will use the device of war. If it is not satisfied it will make excellent use of its agents to subvert your cause.

TLR is just fine as it is...if you choose to use another system, more power to you.
    Erasmo
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    System Model: G73Sw
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 12266MB RAM
    Page File: 2634MB used, 21881MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Default Re: **********Contributions, Fixes, Additions, Sub-Mods**********

I just fixed the problem where the custom battle locations were either totally wrong or even underwater
    just put the attached file in "/The_Long_Road/data" and overwrite the default one

you may redistribute this file as you wish without giving credits

In addition to fixing the old custom battle locations, I added more of them (but i also took some old ones out).

Thanx
    You can drop humans anywhere and they'll thrive-only the rat does as well.Jeannette Desor

Man in Black: [as he is unsuccessfully fighting Fezzik] Look, are you just fiddling around with me or what?
    Fezzik: I just want you to feel you're doing well. I hate for people to die embarrassed.

Awsome!, consider this added to the next TLR release! thanks mate.

For those of you who would like to have a nice radar map in TLR, here it is: radar-map1 & 2.

Simply copy-paste-replace in The_Long_Road/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign

As well, a nice 'Big Europe' map for the objectives page.

Paste these files in The_Long_Road/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign

These small add-ons are save compatible.
    Last edited by RKO; October 20, 2011 at 04:07 AM.

For those of you who would like to experience a more balanced gameplay playing the Long Road.

Here is what I call the Short Road

It's based on TLR 2.4 mod, of course. Roughly, economic challenge is present (no more unlimited money) and strategic dimension is more important. Beginnings are like having put too much spicy sauce, especially in very hard modes. Want more spicy sauce ? Install too "More spices", only one file to replace. Instructions included in files.

Main features:

- 2 turns a year instead of 4 turns a year (summer-winter)
    - Added new water bridges (Scotland and Ireland between others)
    - Greatly increased economic challenge: lowered taxes and trade revenues, gave economic bonuses to AI
    - Increased investments strategic dimension (no more unlimited money, more surely money shortage to deal with)

What else has been done:

- Added geographical radar maps
    - Increased diversity of ancillaries (won't get always the same two or three ancillaries)
    - Modified buildings construction times (longer, ex. dirt roads now takes 10 turns)
    - Modified buildings construction costs (much expensive except first level, ex. Guild's HQ is 30000 florins)
    - Reverted back to M2TW infantry spacing (closer from each other for better infantry impact)
    - Reverted back to M2TW unit numbers (ex. 120 archers, 80 knights, 150 spearmen, ...)
    - Complete rethink of archery ranges (for better military balance with infantry)
    - Added some unit cards (less generic unit cards but not for all I'm afraid)
    - Increased AI Generals efficiency and resistance (real impact in hard or very hard modes)
    - Modified some building trees to give back castles a bit of their strategic importance (ex. can't build stables before a city is at least "city" size, but still possible to get merchants cavalries)
    - Small increase of wall resistance (so ballistas don't breach stone walls so easily)
    - Modified spies, assassins, inquisitors, priests, merchants and diplomats efficiency (longer to achieve better ranks, more tactical impact)
    - Balanced diplomacy (no more "perfect" relationships with an enemy)
    - Modified faction names (back to the English names)

Hope you'll enjoy !

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast