Thread: First timer here - any manual for this mod?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default First timer here - any manual for this mod?

Hello there, I installed the mod for the first time and... there are a ton of things I don't know and I don't understand.

- There is some manpower trait that is divided in many different classes. What does it do? Just limits recruitment? Or it also gives money / drains food as it grows? What are those "soft caps" and "hard caps"? There is also some lower limit, I think, which is good, but can it be raised for bigger settlements? I.e. if I upgrade a settlement will that minimum also raise? Does the AI uses that resource well, or I will get drained cities that will require 30 turns or something to grow? Does extra food help growth?

- I see there are now a single settlement per province, that (according to what I saw on the steam page) can have a great many buildings. Are all those within the capital? Or resources etc can be raided like in S2TW? How do those cities unlock more slots? Those population caps with manpower have anything to do, or that population is different?

- Speaking of cities... I saw cities, and I saw castles.
    ?!?
    Is this like M2TW, where cities are good for trade and castles are good for recruitment? Anything else I need to know? Growth? Trade?

- I saw a warning about war weariness. And yet, most factions start at war with another faction. How does war weariness work? Defeats increase it? Turns in war increase it? Both?

- I saw the Attila mechanic of "X food + Y per fertility rank". Does this mod have the Attila mini-ice age? Does it have the 13th century pop boom (i.e. fertility increase) ?

- Does the Black Death appear? Does Sanitation help? Or I am basically doomed around in the mid 14th century?

- Anything else I need to know?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Default Re: First timer here - any manual for this mod?

Any help here please?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

No Offence, but im amazed such a seasoned TW Vet is having such a time sussing most of it out.

Here's a few simple pointers.

1. There is a class (population) system in place. As in real life, knights were not drawn from the Peasant classes, and Pitchfork holding rabble, the Nobles did not make. Thus, your settlements / Castles etc consist of a population separated into the various classes basically low / middle / upper, from which certain units can be drawn, unfortunately mousing over the unit cards or indeed the recruitment tab does not reveal which class is required for which, however if you do not have enough of said class it will tell you, so you soon learn which is what.

Looking at the population screen in your settlements discloses how many of each class exist and the % that can be recruited from that class for units. Growth / buildings / disease etc will effect your population and the buildings show in what way. Food producing buildings increase pop as you would expect as do most others as stated in the building description.

2. Settlement / Castle Growth determines your upgrade path speed, the growth bar (top left of the low central UI) shows growth factors and moused over shows the make up of that growth. Larger settlements = More growth and higher max population. Population also effects taxes as you would expect. Beware most buildings increase the likely hood of disease and need to be balanced with Sanitation buildings !!

3. Castles for recruiting the better units / City's for trade / money etc

4. The plague will effect Population growth when it occurs, sanitation always helps ward of disease.

5. War weariness happens when you are at war..simple, mouse over the top central UI to see the effect....it builds as war is continued.

6.Fertility rank is the ability of the province to farm, better fertility gives a better base level for all food / animal buildings, giving better outcome+money.

Thank you for the effort but unfortunately, this leaves a lot of my questions unanswered.

What is the difference between the soft caps and the hard caps?

Does having more nobles give more tax, or all population contributes the same?

Does the Fertility rank from Attila change with time, as it did with Attila? Perhaps to simulate the 13th century boom? (i.e. the opposite of Attila that food was dwindling)

War weariness increases with defeats or just by turns at war?

Are the minimum populations sufficiently high so that if you recruit your max, it would repopulate in a decent timeframe instead of waiting 30 turns?