Thread: My feedback --- Very Impressed

Default My feedback --- Very Impressed

This is my first time play EBI or EBII. I have played RTW1/RS3 and RTW2/DEI. (plan on playing RTW1R/RIS and ATW/AE)

I realize I could have posted in the other thread with 20+ posts regarding player feedback. I am sorry if I am cluttering up the forum.

I wanted to say to the EBII developers that I am very impressed.

It is too soon for me to say if this is the most exciting Rome anyone has crafted on a TW engine; I have not played long enough yet.

But the feeling of opening up an interactive history book is amazing. I am a retired software engineer/senior manager. So, games and courses are my hobby. I think I have taken 4 courses on the Roman World and another 2 or 3 relating to other parts of the ancient world (all The West). I think this is a great way after study to experience the period.

Thank you!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: My feedback --- Very Impressed

I can only join @MeiguoJinjang in his praise - the EBII is an exceptional way to experience the period and to get immersed in history.
    JoC
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 25, 2022 at 10:52 AM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Agreed! While I don't read them much anymore, the first few times playing EBII took forever, because I spent a huge amount of time reading descriptions for captured provinces, recruited units, building trees, government models, and the annual historical summary of the year after every 4 turns. Totally worth it, though, because I learned a bunch of things about the Hellenistic period that I didn't know otherwise.

The historical depth AND breadth is amazing. There's rare information in EBII that literally cannot be googled online. Like the Asana tribe whose riders can be recruited in Saka's starting capital very late into the game. Or the whole "Kingetos" social function. Makes sense since archaeological evidence is dug up and analyzed all the time, faster than it can enter mainstream media. Who knows, in 10 years EBII 3.7 we might be using Camillan cataphracts and installing Saka enclaves in Gaul.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    The historical depth AND breadth is amazing. There's rare information in EBII that literally cannot be googled online. Like the Asana tribe whose riders can be recruited in Saka's starting capital very late into the game. Or the whole "Kingetos" social function. Makes sense since archaeological evidence is dug up and analyzed all the time, faster than it can enter mainstream media. Who knows, in 10 years EBII 3.7 we might be using Camillan cataphracts and installing Saka enclaves in Gaul.
    [Craig voice from South Park]: if EBII had cataphract cavalry that could be recruited in Italy that would make me so happy.

I further appreciate that to some extent how deeply one wants to immerse is left up to the player. Of course, without source code, there is only so much history which can really be strongly enforced.

I played RTW1/DM and RTW1/RS3 for over a year, but then I went of RTW2/DEI for I think a year. There are some significant changes returning to the MTW2 engine from the RTW2 engine in mechanics and available information.

If EBII did not provide a framework for role play, but enforced everything from Game 1, I do believe it would be overwhelming. The ability for the player to gradually grow into it through a few play runs, I think is a very wise approach.

Because no matter a love history, there is an upper bound on the amount of complexity you can throw at someone. Whether it be EBII or GG's WITW or WITE-2. EBII went with much is optional, and GG has been moving to AI assistance such that the more proficient you get, the more you can do yourself. Obviously the EBII team did not have the choice of the latter, but allowing the basic Rome 1 game to still be recognizable is a great stepping stone.

Further, I am not sure of the average of the designers. I am 60+, and neuro science cognition says we degrade in three keys areas as we age (I take MD classes too):

(1) Executive function - the ability plan
    (2) Build new memories - meaning it is harder for 70 year old to know his generals than a 20 year old
    (3) Calculation speed - well as there are no real time pressures with EBII; aging has no impact here

But I would wager that the age of the average player base for EBII is older than the average player base of more or less stock TW titles. So, I particular consider EBII's design decision to be senior friendly.

Thank you.

I am only 13 turns in, but paused reading all my region and building descriptions.

A true pleasure. I must say that the English composition style is very clear and well crafted. This is very impressive as I presume some of the developers must work in systems. Systems people, we are not known for our writing skill.

People used to ask me why go into systems? I used to answer that you only need to know 50 reserve words like GOTO, IF, WHILE, LOOP in order to make a good salary. The perfect job for someone who expresses themselves poorly!

The in game material is VERY, VERY well written.

I am on turn 13 and decided to stop, and just do a good amount of reading.

Now, it is very nice that the tour guide gives you an idea in what direction a province might be best developed. This is good for new player assuming they read to the bottom to know what to build.

But what I also like is that other game, we often do don't see the resources on the map (unless like an abstract map as in RTW2). But here the province is graphically appealing and you can set the things like various mines on the map. So, you can take the hints are survey what you have work with on your own.

I like this. It is just another aspect that makes EBII come alive.

Thank you!

I will also said that this game is amazing. This game historical immersion is second to none compare to any total war game and i pretty much owe every historical information in ancient times on this mod.