Thread: Newbie Questions about editing existing Units..

Icon9 Newbie Questions about editing existing Units..

Hello there! I hope some of you can help a Newbie out... I find it really hard to find anwsers to my Questions.

So let`s assume i want to edit an existing Infantry Unit:

This Infantry Unit comes with several different Models as usual. One with a red hat one with a blue hat etc.

1st Question would be : How can i delete all Models except for the one i want to see on the Battlefield, so that this Infantry Unit only consists of lets say 120 Soldiers all using the same Model with the red hat? And would deleting these Models also remove them from the small 3D view in the lower left corner when i select that edited Unit?

2nd Question would be: Is it possible to change the Charge sound "Warcry" you hear when that Unit is charging into that of another Unit? For example giving Human Infantry a Charge sound from the lizardmen? And not only the charge sound but the "selecting" sound, the idle voices like coughing, small talk during battle etc. ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Quasar5's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Newbie Questions about editing existing Units..

1 - you'd have to extract "variantmeshdefinition" file for the specific unit from:

variants.pack -> variantmeshes -> variantmeshdefinitions

You might need to search several variants.packs (like variants_2.pack and others) as not all units are in original variants.pack.

And then you'd need to edit it in a notepad++ for example, removing some head variants and testing it in game to see if that was the right one. Obviously, after editing the variantmeshdefinition file, you'd need to add it to your mod.

As for the 3D animated portrait - it will be automatically updated.

2 - I'm sure it's possible but I haven't done this myself. You just need to find the correct table. For the unit's sounds I'd check theese tables first:

"land_units" (selected_vo, selected_vo_secondary, selected_vo_tertiary columns)
    "main_units" (audio_voiceover_culture, audio_voiceover_culture_override, audio_voiceover_actor_group columns)
    Last edited by Quasar5; January 27, 2022 at 02:09 PM.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

1- when you open a variantmeshdefinitions, it looks like this

<SLOT name="head" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/emp/emp_free_company/emp_free_company_head_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/emp/emp_free_company/emp_free_company_head_02.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/emp/emp_free_company/emp_free_company_head_03.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/emp/emp_free_company/emp_free_company_head_04.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/emp/emp_free_company/emp_free_company_head_05.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="torso" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/emp/emp_free_company/emp_state_free_company_torso_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/emp/emp_free_company/emp_state_free_company_torso_02.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/emp/emp_free_company/emp_state_free_company_torso_03.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="legs" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/emp/emp_free_company/emp_state_free_company_legs_04.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/emp/emp_free_company/emp_state_free_company_legs_05.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/emp/emp_free_company/emp_state_free_company_legs_06.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>

This mean that for the "head slot", there are 5 possible heads, (and 3 torso, and 3 legs), randomly selected. If you remove all the line except one, then it is not random anymore, you'll get always the same.

You can also do something like this

<SLOT name="head" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/emp/emp_free_company/emp_free_company_head_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/emp/emp_free_company/emp_free_company_head_05.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>

Meaning you will have 80% of your guys with head_01 and 20% with head_05.

It is limited to 5 entries. If you add a 6th line, it will be ignored. Unless... but this is a secret for Jedi Masters, I don't know if I can tell it to young padawans.

2 - If you change the voices as suggest by Quasar, it would be global. I mean if you change an Empire unit to use the entry for an Orc in that table, the Empire unit will always speak "Orcish", this would not be limited to the charge warcry only.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Unless... but this is a secret for Jedi Masters, I don't know if I can tell it to young padawans.
    Oh, come on! Reveal the secret, Master. Pretty please!

Btw. in variantmeshdefinitions of some units there is a specific entry <SLOT name="crest" >. It contains the list of possible attachments to a head model, like colourful feathers for some Empire units or crests for Bretonnian knightly helmets. It's possible to add this to a different unit that doesn't have this entry originally.
    Last edited by Quasar5; January 25, 2022 at 03:29 AM.

Patrician Artifex

the name is misleading. You can call it <Slot name= MyLittlePony> if you want. Or exchange "head" with "torso". You just need something different.

I'll give a hint: you can have references to other models.

For example, if you have a unit with axe+ shield, and one unit with great weapon, you can create a VMD named "base", where you put the head, torso, leg, but no weapon.
    And then a VMD "axe_shield", and another "great_wapon", where you reference the base in each, and then just add the weapons.

Good to know.

And perhaps you know what "imposter_model" is? Some units have this in their VMDs, like in here:

<SLOT name="head" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes\wh_variantmodels\hu1\brt\brt_grail_knights\head\brt_grail_knights_helmet_01.wsmodel" imposter_model="VariantMeshes\wh_variantmodels\hu1\brt\brt_grail_knights\head\brt_grail_knights_helmet_01.wsmodel" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes\wh_variantmodels\hu1\brt\brt_grail_knights\head\brt_grail_knights_helmet_02.wsmodel" imposter_model="VariantMeshes\wh_variantmodels\hu1\brt\brt_grail_knights\head\brt_grail_knights_helmet_01.wsmodel" />
    </SLOT>

Patrician Artifex

Leftover from previous game mostly. I suggest not using it at all.

Thank you guys so much! @Steph, @Quasar5 This really helped me alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    2 - If you change the voices as suggest by Quasar, it would be global. I mean if you change an Empire unit to use the entry for an Orc in that table, the Empire unit will always speak "Orcish", this would not be limited to the charge warcry only.

Do you know how to make it limited to the charge warcry only?

Patrician Artifex

No sorry. I moded voices for Napoleon Total War, but I didn't try for Warhammer.

In my first post I wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar5 View Post
    data.pack -> variantmeshes -> variantmeshdefinitions
    It should be variants.pack NOT "data.pack" of course.