Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crash at the End of the Second Turn

Icon4 Crash at the End of the Second Turn

I created a new faction for the Mundus Magnus campaign map (the one in the TWRR Vanilla Modpack) and everything works until the end of the second turn. It crashes to the desktop and there's no error message that pops up. I tried out the other campaigns and there is no crash after the second turn. Is there a fix for this?

Default Re: Crash at the End of the Second Turn

What does the error logfile say in the final lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Ocyalos View Post
    What does the error logfile say in the final lines?
    The only thing that shows up in the error logfile is this:

"==== error log start, build date: Dec 14 2021 ==="

What launch parameters do you use? Your logging is inactive, it must have thousands of lines even with no errors.

What launch parameters do you use? Your logging is inactive, it must have thousands of lines even with no errors.
    The launch parameter I'm using is "enable_logging"

Are you looking in the

%AppData%\Local\Feral Interactive\Total War ROME REMASTERED\VFS\Local\Rome\logs\message_log.txt

File?

"enable_logging" is not enough. try running with the following parameters:

"snd_save_events" "nm" "verbose_script_logging" "enable_logging"

Your message_log.txt file should be at least 10000 lines long, even after the first turn.
    Last edited by Ocyalos; January 24, 2022 at 12:50 PM.
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4,6 Ghz AM4 | GPU: 2x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060Ti Gainward Ghost OC 8GB GDRR6 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3600 Mhz C18 16 GB | SSD: PNY XLR8 CS3030 4TB M.2 NVMe 3 GB/s | PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 550 Watt | MB: Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming WiFi | Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 Silver

Long: New York Stock Exchange: MO, XOM, AAL, AMZN, FB, MSFT, GOOGL, AMD, CRM | Wiener Börse: POST, BG, ADKO, UBS | London Stock Exchange: BP, BATS | Hong Kong Stock Exchange: 3988, 601318 | Euronext Paris: ORA, FP | Bolsa de Madrid: ELE | Coinbase: BTC
    Short: -

Are you looking in the

%AppData%\Local\Feral Interactive\Total War ROME REMASTERED\VFS\Local\Rome\logs\message_log.txt

File?

"enable_logging" is not enough. try running with the following parameters:

"snd_save_events" "nm" "verbose_script_logging" "enable_logging"

Your message_log.txt file should be at least 10000 lines long, even after the first turn.
    Ah. Found it. Here is the file. Azania is the name of the new faction I created
    Attached Files Attached Files

Log indeed doesnt say anything, unfortunately. Do you get the crash during AI turn? During slave turn? Right after you click on End turn?
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4,6 Ghz AM4 | GPU: 2x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060Ti Gainward Ghost OC 8GB GDRR6 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3600 Mhz C18 16 GB | SSD: PNY XLR8 CS3030 4TB M.2 NVMe 3 GB/s | PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 550 Watt | MB: Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming WiFi | Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 Silver

Long: New York Stock Exchange: MO, XOM, AAL, AMZN, FB, MSFT, GOOGL, AMD, CRM | Wiener Börse: POST, BG, ADKO, UBS | London Stock Exchange: BP, BATS | Hong Kong Stock Exchange: 3988, 601318 | Euronext Paris: ORA, FP | Bolsa de Madrid: ELE | Coinbase: BTC

Log indeed doesnt say anything, unfortunately. Do you get the crash during AI turn? During slave turn? Right after you click on End turn?
    The crashes occur during the AI turn. Sometimes during the slave turn

Quote Originally Posted by The_Duluthian View Post
    The crashes occur during the AI turn. Sometimes during the slave turn
    https://forums.totalwar.org/wiki/ind...e_to_CTD's

During play/AI turn:

- some of these may also occur on first turn if error is triggered early....
    • A family member being generated without a general_unit for the faction.
    • A new character is generated and not given a valid name. eg a name in descr_names.txt which does not have corresponding entry in names.txt

Bad character name file: To check for this, try Saving before End Turn. If it crashes then it is the bad name file as it creates an error during creation of a saved game and End Turn is (on default) auto-sav.
    • Building bonuses in the same building level as unit recruitment strings with building conditional (this will happen both during AI turn and when the building is right-clicked) (for v 1.5 and later)
    • Right clicking unit recruitment strings with building conditional (for v 1.5 and later)
    • Units able to be recruited in EDB but no faction "ownership" for a faction in EDU.
    • Units added to descr_rebel_factions.txt but no slave faction ownership in EDU.
    • Units added to descr_mercenaries.txt but no mercenary_unit in EDU.
    • Bad defined type of unit for army spawned via script file
    • Trait triggers in export_desc_character_traits.txt with the same name (occurs when 1st trigger fires)
    • CTD on revolt to faction - occurs when mercenary unit is present, no garrison, or more than 1 / 2 units garrison is present and no units are recruitable by the faction that will take city after revolt see this thread.
    • experience upgrade for ships in EDB causes CTD when higher level port is built, if ships with the lower experience level are in the recruitment queue
    • some changes made to sm_factions, require deletion of the map.rwm - failure to do this gives random CTD a few turns in
    • CTD on having a custom defined settlement plan that doesn't have a wall section defined (but instead a border .cas file as used for villages), but walls can be build in this settlement

When these walls get damaged during an attack, the CTD will occur because the game expects and tries to damage these walls.
    I developed a modding tool for Rome Remastered which would prevent you from doing most of these errors by recognizing these errors and inconsistencies before you even launch the game: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...er-and-cleaner
    Last edited by Ocyalos; January 25, 2022 at 01:42 AM.

https://forums.totalwar.org/wiki/ind...e_to_CTD's

I developed a modding tool for Rome Remastered which would prevent you from doing most of these errors by recognizing these errors and inconsistencies before you even launch the game: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...er-and-cleaner
    Nice. Do I have to install the tool in the mod folder in order for it to work?

Nice. Do I have to install the tool in the mod folder in order for it to work?
    How do I use it?
    1. Make sure that you have installed the latest Python version on your computer https://www.python.org/
    2. Make sure that you have installed the latest pip version on your computer https://packaging.python.org/en/late...ling-packages/
    3. Install PIL python module (needed for image processing): WIN + R, cmd.exe, pip install PIL
    4. Put the atlas folder anywhere you want, it does not matter
    5. Change the PathRootMod variable inside atlas/Globals.py to your mod folders data folder (I strongly recommend to use it only with a fresh and empty mod folder, it will not work with your mod already in place because you first have to rebuild your data inside the Configuration.xlsx)
    6. Execute run.bat - WARNING: Files in your mod folder will be deleted and recreated like for example all faction portraits, all faction logos, the files descr_strat.txt, export_descr_buildings.txt and many more. DO NOT USE IT FOR AN EXISTING MOD, USE IT FOR A NEW MOD FROM SCRATCH. If you want to port your existing mod to Atlas, you have to remodel all the mod data (factions, cultures, religions, buildings, units, ...) in Configuration.xlsx! If you don't do that but still apply Atlas to your existing mod, you will lose most or even all your mod data as it will get overwritten by the mod data that is defined in Configuration.xlsx!
    The tool can be installed anywhere. Read the guide at the link I posted. Also keep in mind that it overwrites everything you have modded so far so I only recommend it for mods where you start from scratch. Otherwise you have to remodel all your mod data (factions, cultures, units, religions, ...) inside the Configuration.xlsx. If you don't remodel but still apply the tool to your existing mod, it will get overwritten by completely different data (the data in Configuration.xlsx, which means different factions, units, buildings and so on). In other words, your existing mod will get destroyed.
    Last edited by Ocyalos; January 25, 2022 at 05:18 PM.

So does pip automatically get installed with python, or does it need to be installed separately? (I'm very well versed with such technology)

If you download Python from python.org I think you will get pip automatically too. You can see if you got it by trying to execute

pip install PIL

after you installed Python.

If you download Python from python.org I think you will get pip automatically too. You can see if you got it by trying to execute

pip install PIL

after you installed Python.
    Ah. Whenever I try to launch the program, it says that python was not found (I did install the most recent version of it)

Have you added the location of Python.exe to your PATH env variable?

Go to cmd and try

where python

If it does not work, for some reason your python installation dir was not added to PATH variable.

You can either add the folder path of your python.exe to your PATH env variable. Or you can open run.bat in Atlas folder and replace the python with the full path to python.exe ("Crograms/blabla/python.exe" instead of python)
    Last edited by Ocyalos; January 26, 2022 at 10:19 AM.

Have you added the location of Python.exe to your PATH env variable?

Go to cmd and try

where python

If it does not work, for some reason your python installation dir was not added to PATH variable.

You can either add the folder path of your python.exe to your PATH env variable. Or you can open run.bat in Atlas folder and replace the python with the full path to python.exe ("Crograms/blabla/python.exe" instead of python)
    I typed "where python", it showed the installation location. Does that mean that dir was added to the PATH variable? Do I change to the full python.exe in the location path of the run file?

Strange, that means yes it is in the PATH already. But then that could mean that you execute run.bat as a different user than if you enter CMD.

Yes, just try replace python in run.bat with the full path to the python.exe including the python.exe to circumvent the Windows PATH mechanism

Strange, that means yes it is in the PATH already. But then that could mean that you execute run.bat as a different user than if you enter CMD.

Yes, just try replace python in run.bat with the full path to the python.exe including the python.exe to circumvent the Windows PATH mechanism
    I edited the run.bat file so it's the install location of python and it still says it could not be found. I don't know what else will. Thanks for the help though

I edited the run.bat file so it's the install location of python and it still says it could not be found. I don't know what else will. Thanks for the help though
    Try the following:

1. Windows + R
    2. Enter "cmd"
    3. pushd C: (assuming you have everything installed on your C: drive)
    4. [Full Path to your Python.exe] [Full Path to your Main.py]

This is how it looks like for me (My python.exe is in C:\Users\andre\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\ and my Main.py is in C:\atlas\)

Note, that if one of your full paths has a whitespace in it, you have to enclose the whole path with "" like instead C:\bla bla\test.exe you have to write "C:\bla bla\test.exe"

Last edited by Ocyalos; January 29, 2022 at 01:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast