Thread: Is there a mod that de-links the Roman vs Carthage war early in the game?

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Is there a mod that de-links the Roman vs Carthage war early in the game?

I suppose this has been asked and answered a gazillion times but I swear I couldn't find it in search. (now watch someone put a real simple search string that I totally should have figured out and get all the answers :/ )

Anyhoo, I love the mod. It is so very amazing that it actually makes me wonder why CA can't produce better product at jump. Thank goodness for modders.

But, back to the question.

I have played through the 1st Punic war and find it a fun grind. But once it's over, we're back to business as usual in TW games, and that's just steam rolling all the chump AI varieties.

So, I'd like to be able to postpone the Rome vs Carthage kerfuffle. The game is more interesting with that hanging like a Damoclesian Sword as I stumble along as Rome, trying to civilize the local area while constantly having to look over my shoulder. A bit o' tension, if you will.

My wish would be that as long as I left off bothering Syracuse, Sicily, The Sardines and Carthage plus her allies, and paid attention to keeping Carthage happy in the political maneuverings, I could put off that war until I chose to have it.

Because, as Rome, once Charthage is dealt with, the game is pretty much over.

Default Re: Is there a mod that de-links the Roman vs Carthage war early in the game?

No answer.

Ok. Good to know.

Thankfully, there's a plethora of other great mods out there to sink my free time into.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Is there a mod that de-links the Roman vs Carthage war early in the game?

Being entitled ahole because nobody answered your post in 10 hours? Good to know.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Well, excuse me, please. Wasn't intended as such.

There were plenty of views of the post and I took that to mean there was no comment because there was no answer.

Wasn't offended and didn't intend to offend.

But, reply attitude noted.

Btw, have anything substantial to add other than attitude? Any info, perhaps?

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

escalation scripts in lua_scripts > gc_scripts
    removing the listeners and the escalation functions should do the work i think, never messed much with that sheet though

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

The problem is Syracuse. If you can find a way to keep them alive and able to resist Carthago i guess u could prolong the inevitable. However they not only are a single region, they have a port and itching for a chance to sent their army stack to neptune.
    Maybe tweak the garrison so it can survive a Punic army and a half strength navy.

@Grimmy: I agree with KAM 2150 - you where unnecessarily whiny. There are lots of reasons for people not answering your question. I was one of the people that read it before your whine, but I didn't have time to answer then. People log in from all over the world, from all timezones - they could be of for work or at sleep for most of that time. You might not have meant what your wrote that way, but it sure sounds like whining to me as well. Show some more patience next time - people have other things to do that are more important to them then your question.

Drowsy: I was thinking the same. I've just started playing Rome and this mod a couple of weeks ago, so I'm really no expert.
    But I've started over as Rome a few times, learning to play the game, and I've found there is rather a big flexibility in the timing of Carthages DoW on Rome. (I've never attacked them - I have only ever waited them out).
    In one game they went from being very friendly to attacking me on turn 15 or something - but in my current game I'm actually on turn 86 and they haven't attacked yet.
    And I think the reason for that is that in this game I knocked out Syracuse and then liberated them, creating a buffer state between me and Carthage.

I can't say this i guaranteed to keep them from attacking - but it has worked so far in at least this game.
    They relations with me have gone over to yellow by now (neutral +7) but I've avoided any diplomatic entaglements with them.
    One of their client states keep asking me for a non-agression pact, but I won't risk pokeing the bear by doing something like that.
    Another one wants to trade with me, but I won't even take a chance on that (even if Carthage shouldn't have a problem with that, I don't think?).

Anyway, I'm testing this to see how long it holds but so far so good anyway.

I can understand where the confusion on the whining can come from. When I whine, there is no doubt whatsoever that I am whining. There's tears, snot bubbles, the whole works.

I also understand that people can be busy, which was why I replied to my own post when I did. I am also very busy and time to invest into game play is very very limited. So, yeah. I was in a bit of a hurry to find out if there was a solution. And like I said in that very comment, no prob. I can do other mods until an answer comes up or solutions to the issue are found by me or others. I had just a few minutes to pop in and check, and time has been limited to about the same since.

But, it's all good. I got the answers, thanks guys.

And I have discovered this part of the forum is rather rich with those wanting to invent drama issues.

Now, I can officially call it time to move on to other elsewhere.

This is not whining. This is smh and laughing.

@OP: This.
    And please be nice to the devs. This is a decade-old video game and you can't expect instant forum replies. Look around the other Rome 2 subforums, the last replies were often weeks ago. This is by far the most active forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    removing the listeners and the escalation functions should do the work i think, never messed much with that sheet though
    I actually had quite some difficulty turning this off. I didn't know what I could touch in the script without breaking it, as it is quite complicated, and I didn't dare just removing a bunch of stuff I don't understand for fear that I might remove something that is expected somewhere else, causing a crash. So I added Syracuse to the roman core provinces list, thinking that would delay the trigger until I decide to move on Sicily. But the trigger triggers if no roman core province is owned by someone you're at war with, so as long as Syracuse is not an enemy it still happened. And then I kept wondering why my changes made no effect, but I was editing the lua in the DeI pack and there's one loaded above it in the startpos beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    True, I could have just commented out the call in the listener.

Edit: It is true though that without the scripted war you can have a quite cozy relationship with carthage for a long time. Particularly with the new pirate popups, they keep loving me for being at war with a common enemy.
    Last edited by CIaagent11; February 02, 2022 at 07:19 AM.