Thread: SSD & Windows 10 Install

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default SSD & Windows 10 Install

Basement techies,

Need some help with a brand new work laptop which I've purchased. And it's all got to do with an SSD and Windows 10. Bought a new laptop with an SSD, had a Windows 10 USB flash drive created, booted up the BIOS and started doing the install as expected. Windows 10 Pro to get it done.

Received a rather weird "no drives found" in the Windows install, which is surprising. I checked the BIOS - BIOS recognises the SSD. Odd. I used other USB ports, maybe that will work, nothing. I used CMD with the DISKPART commands to show me the recognised drives inside the laptop ut it only shows me the USB drive, the SSD is absent from Windows install. I tried a whole host of different commands but nothing.

What gives? What am I doing wrong?

Faulty SSD?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: SSD & Windows 10 Install

Not necessarily. Could be missing drivers.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

That worked, thanks! The drivers were missing.

Now for the second problems - there's no network adapter. It doesn't show up in the Device Manager. I installed the drivers from the ASUS website, except there's no network adapter (just Bluetooth and WAN Miniports) + touchpad isn't working.

Any ideas?

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Touchpad needs separate drivers iirc and you may need to enable it. Check in settings -> devices -> touchpad

First thing to do is look up your laptop model and see if it has a network adapter. I know it sounds crazy but you won't believe some of the I've seen for sale on Altex and PcGarage over the years.

If it does check for separate drivers for your network adapter.

If there are none try to unplug and plug your ethernet cable and restart the laptop. If that does not work go to device manager, go to view and click show hidden devices then go to actions and click on scan for hardware changes. See if your network adapter shows up. If it doesn't show up try troubleshooting it: go to settings (win + i if you have no mouse) -> update and security -> troubleshoot -> aditional troubleshooters -> network adapter.

If you can see your network adapter in your device manager right click it -> properties -> power -> untick allow the computer to turn off this device

If none of this works try taking out the laptop battery, if it has a removable battery.

If it doesn't try resetting winsock. Open command prompt as an admin (type cmd in run then press ctrl + shift + enter) and run netsh winsock reset, restart laptop.

If that doesn't work try netcfg -d to reset your network devices

If that does not go to services and check if WWan AutoConfig is running. If it's not start it and set it to automatic.

Final solution is to reset your network using the network reset tool in settings.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; January 22, 2022 at 06:59 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Right... I just realised - it has no ethernet cable port. This either goes via WiFi or via USB connection, which is not going to be easy to use. It took me a while but I found the correct driver for the WLAN chipset, ASUS notebooks come with 4 different chipsets so I had to do trial & error until one of them worked.

Fortunately, I now have internet for the new laptop.

Unfortunately, the touch still doesn't work (I'm using a bluetooth mouse instead) and there's no Touch device in Settings.

EDIT: It finally worked - but I don't know why. I had installed all of the drivers before, but it turns out they activate only when you connect to the internet, so now touch works, audio works, light works.
    Last edited by Basileos Leandros I; January 22, 2022 at 08:52 AM.

but it turns out they activate only when you connect to the internet
    That's so dumb.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Right... I just realised - it has no ethernet cable port. This either goes via WiFi or via USB connection, which is not going to be easy to use. It took me a while but I found the correct driver for the WLAN chipset, ASUS notebooks come with 4 different chipsets so I had to do trial & error until one of them worked.

Fortunately, I now have internet for the new laptop.

Unfortunately, the touch still doesn't work (I'm using a bluetooth mouse instead) and there's no Touch device in Settings.

EDIT: It finally worked - but I don't know why. I had installed all of the drivers before, but it turns out they activate only when you connect to the internet, so now touch works, audio works, light works.
    What? It has no ethernet cable? That's crazy. Ethernet is hugely preferable to WiFi when on webcam. Many packets are dropped unnecessarily in comparison to an ethernet wired connection, as my Systems & Network Programming prof used to say.

If people are viewing your image as jittery while on a conference call, maybe consider getting a laptop with an ethernet port or sending it back. Because that's untenable if you're tethered to the router location during conference calls.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Yeah, I actually realised this when I was looking around for the port to put the cable in. There's no entry - so it's either strictly WiFi or a USB connection stick.

Remarkably, this wasn't a cheap laptop - mid-range ASUS overall for business, with Intel Core i7 and a good SSD. But I guess it didn't compute for me when I bought it that it had no cable connection. Or the mobile phone.

You actually make a good point about the router location / conference calls thing. I can use the mobile phone as a modem, especially since I have 2 phones (work / personal) but it's weird in 2022 to not have one for a mid-range business laptop.

You can always buy an ethernet to usb converter. Shouldn't be more than 10-20 euro.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind

While that's a good point, it's worth noting that even in high end laptops USB ports have a tendency to give out over time. So if your laptop has 4 ports, expect 2 to give out.

I tend to hook up at least a mouse to my laptop, along with a secondary USB device.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

This one has a mix of 4 USB and USB-C ports - so it might be a good idea to plug an Ethernet to USB in the USB-C port, since I don't have many items that use the newer USB-C version.

I think most laptops rely on lightning or USB ports for external connections, I think the current popular one is USB-C, which tends to have multi plug dongles; next generation should have a lot more bandwidth.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Basement techies,

Need some help with a brand new work laptop which I've purchased. And it's all got to do with an SSD and Windows 10. Bought a new laptop with an SSD, had a Windows 10 USB flash drive created, booted up the BIOS and started doing the install as expected. Windows 10 Pro to get it done.

Received a rather weird "no drives found" in the Windows install, which is surprising. I checked the BIOS - BIOS recognises the SSD. Odd. I used other USB ports, maybe that will work, nothing. I used CMD with the DISKPART commands to show me the recognised drives inside the laptop ut it only shows me the USB drive, the SSD is absent from Windows install. I tried a whole host of different commands but nothing.

What gives? What am I doing wrong?

Faulty SSD?
    I guess that you have already solved your issues. If not just let me know