Thread: Lesson number 7

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Lesson number 7

Lesson 7 - part 1

Italian Prepositions - Preposizioni Semplici

The Simple Prepositions – Le preposizioni semplici: di, a, da, in, con, su, per, tra, fra
    Prepositions are words that show position in relation to space or time, or that introduce a complement.

The main prepositions in Italian are listed below:

Di
    Possession: Il Libro di Luca (Luca's book) / La camicia di Maria (Maria's shirt)
    Content: Una bottiglia di vino (A bottle fo wine) / Una lattina di coca-cola (A can of Coke)
    Material: Un maglione di lana (A woolen sweater) / Il tavolo di legno (The wooden table)
    Origin from a city with verb of state: Io sono di Milano (I'm from Milan) / Davide è di Roma (Davide is from Rome)
    Time: Preferisco allenarmi di mattina, piuttosto che di sera (I'd rather prefer to train at mornings, than at evenings) / Esco molto di sera, soprattutto d’estate (I go out a lot at evenings, especially during Summer)
    Age: Il mio capo è un uomo di circa 50 anni (My boss is approximately 50 years old) / In italia si va in pensione all’età di 65 anni (In Italy you retire at the age of 65)
    Reason: Ci sono 38 gradi oggi, moriremo di caldo! (There are 38 °C today, we are gonna die because of heat!) / Quando ho passato l’esame di geografia, ho gridato di gioia (When I did pass the geography test, I did cry of joy)
    Topic: I miei amici parlano sempre di calcio (My friends always talk of football) / Possiamo parlare di qualcos’altro per favore? (Can we talk of something else, please?)
    Way/Mode: Ero in ritardo stamattina, sono uscito di corsa (I was late today, I went out on a rush) / Oggi Michele è di cattivo umore (Today Michele is a
    Quality: Quel negozio vende prodotti di ottima qualità (That shop sells wuality stuff) / Laura è una donna di grande intelligenza e bellezza (Laura is a very intelligent and beautiful woman)
    Fault: Il vaso preferito della mamma è rotto; è tutta colpa di Elena (Mom's favorite pot is broken, nobody's fault but Elena's) / Paolo Rossi è stato accusato di furto (Paolo Rossi has been charged with thievery)
    Abundance: Sono uscita dall’ascensore perchè era pieno di gente (I got out of the lift because it was full of people) / Il museo degli Uffizi è ricco di opere d’arte (The Uffizi Gallery is full of artworks)
    Restriction: Matteo è campione regionale di pallanuoto (Matteo is a regional champion of water polo) / Stefano è un ragazzo forte di carattere (Stefano is a strong willed boy)
    Deprivation: Federico è così noioso, è privo di interessi (Federico is so boring, he's go no interests)/ Marco ha lasciato paola, ma lei non può essere felice senza di lui (Marco left Paola, but she cannot be happy without him)

A
    Destination with city, complement both of movement and state; it answers to the question “where..?”:
    Tu vai a Roma / Oggi sono a Milano / Sono a casa / Sabato non vado a scuola (You go to Rome / Today I'm in Milan / I'm at home / I'm not going to school on Saturday)
    Small islands’ names: Vado in vacanza a Ischia / Faccio un viaggio a Creta (I'm going on vacation to Ischia / I'm taking a trip to Crete)
    Fixed Expression:
    Ho molti CD a casa mia, a casa tua, a casa sua (I have many CDs in my house, in your house, in his house)
    Vado a casa a piedi / Andiamo al bar a piedi (I go home on foot / We go to the bar on foot)
    La stazione è vicino a una chiesa/ La scuola è vicino a un ristorante (The station is near a church / The school is near a restaurant)
    Addressee: Carlo regala un fiore a Maria / Luca dà un libro a Matteo (Carlo gives a flower to Maria / Luca gives a book to Matteo)

Preposition “A” changes into -AD in front of vowel -A. In front of other vowels, it can change or not, both uses are correct:
    Vado ad Amburgo (I'm going to Hamburg)
    Andiamo a Udine / ad Udine (Let's go to Udine / Udine)

Some verbs come with “A” preposition in front of the infinitive that follows:

Voglio imparare a nuotare quest’anno (imparare a) (I want to learn to swim this year (learn how to))
    Mi aiuti a fare questo esercizio? (aiutare a) (Can you help me do this exercise? (help to))
    Non riesco a studiare con tutto questo rumore (riuscire a) (I can't study with all this noise (be able to))
    I'll start cleaning the house soon (get to)
    Mi sono abituato a mangiare frutta e verdura ogni giorno (abituarsi a) (I got used to eating fruits and vegetables every day (get used to))
    Sbrigati a preparare la cena, gli ospiti stanno arrivando! (sbrigarsi a)

“A” preposition also comes with verbs which indicate the beginning and the continuation of an action:

Ho cominciato a leggere un libro (cominciare a) (I started reading a book (start at))
    Continua a piovere (continuare a) (It keeps raining (keep on))
    Luca ha iniziato a cucinare un’ora fa (iniziare a) (Luca started cooking an hour ago (start))
    Mi metto a pulire casa tra poco (mettersi a) (I'll start cleaning the house soon (get to))

Da
    Origin with verb of movement:
    Luca viene da Napoli (Luca comes from Naples)
    Parto da Milano (I leave from Milan)

Movement towards a person or state in a place with someone (it means “to your house”):
    Vado a studiare da Marco (= a casa di Marco) (I'm going to study at Marco's (= at Marco's house))
    Sono da Laura (= a casa di Laura) (I'm at Laura's (= Laura's house))
    Dopo il lavoro passo da te (=a casa tua) (After work, I pass by you (= at your house))

Moving away from a place or separation:
    Lei vive lontano da sua mamma (She lives far from her mom)
    Maria si è separata da suo marito (Maria separated from her husband)

Origin with temporal meaning (it continues in the present):
    Vivo a Firenze da 3 mesi (I have been living in Florence for 3 months)
    Studio Italiano da 2 settimane (I have been studying Italian for 2 weeks)

With indeterminate construction (qualcuno / qualcosa / nessuno / niente…+ DA + infinitive verb form):
    L’insegnante cerca qualcuno da interrogare (The teacher is looking for someone to question)
    Vuoi qualcosa da bere? (Would you like something to drink?)
    Non c’è niente da mangiare (There's nothing to eat)

Specify the object’s use:
    Occhiali da sole (Sunglasses)
    Scarpe da ginnastica (Snickers)

In
    The preposition “IN” also indicates a place complement and answers to the question “where?”, both for movement or place, especially in front of:

Continents, States, Regions, big Islands:
    La Francia è in Europa (France is in Europe)
    Elisa va in Germania (Elisa goes to Germany)
    Florence is in Tuscany (Firenze è in Toscana)
    Vado in vacanza in Sardegna (I'm going on vacation to Sardinia)

With street names:
    Abito in via Garibaldi 15 (I live in via Garibaldi 15)
    La stazione si trova in via Santa Maria (The station is located in via Santa Maria)

With shop names or place ending in “- IA”:
    Domani andiamo in macelleria, in profumeria, in farmacia (Tomorrow we go to the butcher's shop, to the perfumery, to the pharmacy)
    Stasera vado in pizzeria, in gelateria (Tonight I'm going to a pizzeria, an ice cream parlor)
    There are some exceptions: vado in vacanza, in montagna, in campagna, in centro, in ufficio, in palestra, in discoteca, in ospedale, etc. (There are some exceptions: I go on vacation, to the mountains, to the countryside, downtown, to the office, to the gym, to the disco, to the hospital, etc.)

With means of transport:
    Vado a scuola in macchina / in autobus / in treno / in auto / in bicicletta (I go to school by car / bus / train / car / bicycle)

Con
    It indicates a relation of union or company:
    Paola esce con Laura (Paola goes out with Laura)
    Prendo il caffè con due cucchiaini di zucchero (I take coffee with two teaspoons of sugar)

It specifies the way, how to carry out something:
    Devo studiare con attenzione (I have to study carefully)
    Devi guidare con prudenza (You have to drive carefully)

It gives a specific information, as of time or manner:
    Domani veniamo con il treno delle 17.00 (Tomorrow we come with the 17.00 train)
    Devi aprire questa porta con la chiave (You have to open this door with the key)

It specifies the qualities, the characteristics of a person, animal or thing:
    Luca è il ragazzo con gli occhi azzurri (Luca is the boy with blue eyes)
    La mia macchina è quella con le portiere bianche e rosse (My car is the one with the red and white doors)

It specifies the cause, the reason why the action is made by the verb:
    Con questo brutto tempo non voglio uscire (In this bad weather I don't want to go out)
    Non riesco a studiare con il mal di testa (I can't study with a headache)

It indicates the time, the period:
    Con l’inverno arriva il freddo (With winter comes the cold)
    Non riesco a dormire con la luce che entra dalla finestra (I can't sleep with the light coming in through the window)

It indicates the limitations, the field, the area of interest:
    Come va con il corso di italiano? (How are you doing with the Italian course?)
    Sono in ritardo con il pagamento dell’affitto (I am late in paying my rent)

Su
    It indicates the upper position:
    State in a place:
    Su quel tavolo c’è una bottiglia di vino (On that table there is a bottle of wine)
    Su quella sedia ci sono i tuoi libri (In that chair are your books)

Movement to a higher place:
    Saliamo su una scala (We go up a ladder)
    Ci arrampichiamo su un albero (We climb a tree)

It indicates the topic, the theme:
    Sto leggendo un libro su Giulio Cesare (I am reading a book on Julius Caesar)
    Ho visto un documentario su Dante Alighieri (I saw a documentary on Dante Alighieri)

It indicates the distribution:
    Un ragazzo su cinque non frequenta l’Università (One in five boys does not attend university)
    Ci sono tre studenti su dieci oggi in classe (There are three out of ten students in the class today)

Per
    It indicates the means through which the action is carried out.

It can introduce various complements:

Movement in a place:
    Sono passata per Milano ma non mi sono fermata (I passed through Milan but I didn't stop)
    Abbiamo girato per tutta la città (We drove all over the city)

Movement to a destination:
    Domani partiamo per Parigi (Tomorrow we leave for Paris)
    L’autobus per Firenze parte alle 17:00 (The bus to Florence leaves at 17:00)

Mean through which the action is expressed:
    Puoi spedire il documento per posta (You can send the document by post)
    Mi mandi la ricetta della torta per email? (Can you send me the recipe for the cake by email?)

Cause, reason:
    Maria va a Roma per lavoro (Maria goes to Rome for work)
    Luca sta tremando per il freddo! (Luca is shivering from the cold!)

Purpose, aim:
    Vado in discoteca con i miei amici per divertimento (I go to the disco with my friends for fun)
    Stasera andiamo al ristorante per mangiare bene (We're going to the restaurant tonight for a good meal)

It can introduce a sentence, followed by an infinitive verb:
    Vado a correre per dimagrire (I go running to lose weight)
    Andiamo in piscina per nuotare domani? (Shall we go to the pool to swim tomorrow?)

Duration of an action:
    Oggi lavoro per tutto il giorno (Today I work all day)
    Vado con la mia famiglia in montagna per le vacanze (I go with my family to the mountains for the holidays)

It indicates the person or thing referred to by the action:
    Questa torta è per te. (This cake is for you.)
    Domenica cucino per tutta la famiglia (On Sunday I cook for the whole family)

It is used with “STARE” to indicate a forthcoming action:
    L’autobus sta per partire (The bus is about to leave)
    Guarda che nuvole nere.. sta per piovere! (Look at the black clouds .. it's about to rain!)

Fixed expression:
    Per me questo libro è molto interessante, per te? (For me this book is very interesting, for you?)
    Posso avere un caffè, per favore? (Can I have some coffee, please?)

Way:
    Luca ha detto quella frase per scherzo (Luca said that sentence as a joke)
    Ieri ho incontrato Sara per caso al supermercato (Yesterday I met Sara by chance at the supermarket)

Fault, Guilt:
    L’uomo è stato condannato per omicidio (The man was convicted of murder)
    Il ladro è stato arrestato per furto (The thief was arrested for theft)

Substitution, replacement:
    Scambio sempre Luca per suo fratello (I always exchange Luca for his brother)
    Alla lezione ho capito una cosa per l’altra (In the lesson I understood one thing for the other)

Tra/Fra (synonyms)
    It can introduce various complements or expressions:

Halfway position / In between two places:
    Tra la chiesa e la scuola c’è il teatro (Between the church and the school is the theater)
    La camera da letto è tra la cucina e il bagno (The bedroom is between the kitchen and the bathroom)

Movement through a place:
    Laura lavora tra Bologna e Firenze (Laura works between Bologna and Florence)
    La stanza era così piena che non potevo passare tra la gente (The room was so full that I could not pass among the people)

Distance in space:
    Tra 10 chilometri arriviamo a Roma (In 10 kilometers we arrive in Rome)
    Tra pochi metri arriveremo a casa di Giulia (In a few meters we will arrive at Giulia's house)

Fixed time in the forthcoming future:
    Tra due settimane parto per le vacanze (I'm leaving for vacation in two weeks)
    Il film inizierà tra pochi minuti (The movie will start in a few minutes)

Habitual expression: “tra poco”, “tra non molto” (“in a while”):
    Il pollo è in forno già da 30 minuti, tra poco è pronto (The chicken has been in the oven for 30 minutes and is ready soon)
    Ceno con Paola alle 20, tra non molto esco, sono già le 19:15 (I have dinner with Paola at 8 pm, I will soon go out, it is already 7.15 pm)

Relationships:
    Luca e Marco hanno un bel rapporto tra di loro (Luca and Marco have a good relationship between them)
    C’è una bella amicizia tra Laura e Paola (There is a beautiful friendship between Laura and Paola)

Partitive, it indicates in which group the element is part of:
    Daniela è la più bassa tra le mie amiche (Daniela is the shortest of my friends)
    Alessia è la più brava tra gli studenti (Alessia is the best among the students)

Approximation, estimation:
    Laura avrà tra i 45 e i 50 anni (Laura will be between 45 and 50 years old)
    Arriveremo tra due o tre ore a Roma (We will arrive in Rome in two or three hours)

Fixed and common expressions in the speaking, like “tra l’altro” (with the meaning of “moreover, furthermore”):
    Gloria dovrebbe studiare di più, tra l’altro lunedì ci sarà l’esame di Inglese (Gloria should study more, among other things on Monday there will be the English exam)
    Vado a fare la spesa, tra l’altro devo comprare anche il detersivo (I go shopping, among other things I also have to buy detergent)
    Last edited by Flinn; January 21, 2022 at 05:48 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lesson number 7

Lesson 7 - part 2

Prepositions Combined with the definite article – Le preposizioni articolate

Sometimes prepositions DI, A, DA, IN, SU are followed by definite articles: joint to them, they become a unique word:

Combined
    il lo la i gli le l’
    di del dello della dei degli delle dell’
    a al allo alla ai agli alle all’
    da dal dallo dalla dai dagli dalle dall’
    in nel nello nella nei negli nelle nell’
    su sul sullo sulla sui sugli sulle sull’

Examples:
    Andiamo (a + il) al cinema stasera (Let's go (a + il) [I] to the [/ I] cinema tonight)
    (in + lo) Nello zaino c’è il libro di matematica ((in + lo) [I] In the [/ I] backpack there is the mathematics book)
    Quella borsa è (di + la) della mia amica Laura (That bag is (di + la) [I] of [/ I] my friend Laura)

With prepositions CON, PER, TRA/FRA the definite articles stay separate:

Stasera esco con i miei amici (Tonight I go out [I] with [/ I] my friends)
    Questo è il libro per i tuoi genitori (This is the book [I] for your [/ I] parents)
    Tra tutte le città italiane, Firenze è la mia preferita ([I] Among [/ I] all [I] [/ I] Italian cities, Florence is my favorite))

We usually use prepositions combined with definite articles:

With the plural form:

New York si trova (in + gli) negli Stati Uniti (New York is located (in + gli) [I] in the [/ I] United States)
    Look at the difference: New York si trova in America (Look at the difference: New York is in America)
    Francine vive (in + i) nei Paesi Bassi (Francine lives (in + i) [I] in [/ I] the Netherlands)
    Look at the difference: Francine vive in Olanda (Francine lives in the Netherlands)
    Marco studia spesso (in+ le) nelle biblioteche (Marco often studies (in + le) [I] in [/ I] libraries)
    Look at the difference: Marco studia spesso in biblioteca (Marco often studies in the library)

Before a determinative and specific noun:

Studio (a + la) alla scuola Euroclass (I study (a + la) [I] at [/ I] Euroclass school)
    Look at the difference: Vado a scuola (I go to school)
    Leonardo lavora (in + l’) nell’ufficio al secondo piano (Leonardo works (in + l ') [I] in the [/ I] office on the second floor)
    Look at the difference: Leonardo lavora in ufficio (Leonardo works in the office)
    Last edited by Flinn; January 21, 2022 at 05:56 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lesson number 7

Lesson 7

Exercises

Simple Prepositions

Choose the correct option:

1- Dove deve andare Roberta? (Where should Roberta go?)
    Questa mattina va ______ Firenze. (This morning goes to ______ Florence.)
    a
    da
    con

2- Come andrai a Milano? (How are you going to Milan?)
    Andrò ______ treno. ( I'll go ______ train.)
    per
    di
    in

3- Come vanno a lavoro i tuoi genitori? (How do your parents go to work?)
    Generalmente ______ piedi, è vicino. ( Generally ______ feet, it's close.)
    per
    tra
    a

4- Fate tardi? (Are you late?)
    No, arriviamo ______ dieci minuti. (No, we arrive ______ ten minutes)
    fra
    con
    da

5- Dove ci incontriamo? (Where do we meet?)
    Nella piazzetta ______ la chiesa e il comune. ( In the square ______ the church and the town hall.)
    a
    in
    tra

6- Dov'eri fino a quest'ora? (Where were you up to now?)
    Ero ______ Luca. (I was ______ Luca.)
    da
    di
    a

7- Di chi è questo libro? (Who is this book?)
    È il libro ______ Marianna. (It is the book ______ Marianna.)
    di
    per
    da

8- Stai uscendo? (Are you going out?)
    Si vado a cena ______ il mio fidanzato. (Yes I'm going to dinner ______ my boyfriend.)
    in
    con
    fra

Articulated Prepositions

Choose the correct option:

1- Cosa è successo a Marco? È caduto ______ scala. (What happened to Marco? ______ ladder fell.)
    sulla
    nella
    dalla

2- Ho dimenticato di comprare il biglietto _____ autobus. (I forgot to buy the _____ bus ticket.)
    del
    dell'
    dall'

3- Metterò il televisore nuovo ______ mia camera. (I'll put the new TV ______ my room.)
    nella
    alla
    della

4- Il cane ha lasciato le impronte ______ pavimento. (The dog left footprints ______ the floor.)
    nel
    dal
    sul

5- La sfilata arriverà fino ______ piazza principale. (The parade will run up to ______ main square.)
    nella
    della
    alla

6- Per andare in città prenderemo il treno ______ nove. (To go to the city we will take the train ______ nine.)
    sulle
    dalle
    delle

7- Gli scoiattoli vivono ______ alberi. (Squirrels live on ______ trees.)
    sugli
    dagli
    dall'

8- Sono appena uscito ______ ufficio. (I just left the ______ office.)
    dall'
    nell'
    sull'
    Last edited by Flinn; January 21, 2022 at 06:03 AM.