Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: The Rings of Power. Lord of the Rings. TV Show.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: The Rings of Power. Lord of the Rings. TV Show.

Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

"The world’s most expensive show – which looked like an episode of Hollyoaks, only with woeful acting – was so inept that every episode left you sniggering"
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...-was-a-stinker

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

A while ago, someone on the financial side of the television industry reminded me that Amazon isn’t a television company. It’s a mail order business that dabbles in TV to boost its cred. The Rings of Power seems to be a perfect case in point, as if Amazon dumped a billion dollars into it for the headlines, then ignored a lot of the details. The frustrating thing is that there is clearly so much potential here. I just don’t know if I have it in me to watch any more to see if it is ever realised.
    Case closed
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

*Galadriel: Where did we first meet?

*Elrond: Seaside. When I was first orphaned. I was alone. A young, half-elven boy, without friend or kin. You gave me water.

Without friend or kin? Huh...
    I could have sworn that even in the show there was an *Elros, *Elrond's brother...

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    *Galadriel: Where did we first meet?

*Elrond: Seaside. When I was first orphaned. I was alone. A young, half-elven boy, without friend or kin. You gave me water.

Without friend or kin? Huh...
    I could have sworn that even in the show there was an *Elros, *Elrond's brother...
    Wait I thought he was fostered by Maglor and presumably dropped off before He and Maedhros went to their doom. He would have been over 50 and certainly had some kin in Lindon. Dialog makes it sound he was a the elf version of Oliver
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Elrond did know them.

During the raid of the sons of Feanor upon the settlement at the mouths of Sirion, Elwing jumped into the Sea to prevent Maedhros and Maglor from getting the Silmaril. She left behind her twin sons Elros and Elrond, who were somewhere around 6 years old at the time. In The Silmarillion, it’s said that Earendil and Elwing feared their sons would be slain, but that it was not so. Maglor took pity on the boys and cherished them, and “love grew after between them, as little might be thought, but Maglor’s heart was sick and weary with the burden of the dreadful Oath.” So their relationship with Maglor at least was affectionate.

It’s not possible to say how long the boys stayed with Maglor and presumably Maedhros. (The two had been together since the Battle of Sudden Flame when Maglor’s Gap was overrun and I assume they stayed together after that.) I’ve always believed that the twins were fostered by Maglor for quite a while, perhaps to adulthood. But it is also possible that they were eventually placed in the care of Gil-galad or other kin on Balar—Tolkien’s letters contain an explanation of the names Elros and Elrond that involves them being left as “babes in the wood” and found (by whom it’s not said) at a cave (Elros “Star Foam” is playing in the foam of a waterfall outside the cave and Elrond “Star Dome” is inside the cave). The two stories are difficult to reconcile.

The Silmarillion is also not clear on where Maedhros and Maglor went after the Third Kinslaying. In “Of Beleriand and its Realms,” the text states that Maedhros dwelt at Amon Ereb after the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, but elsewhere The Silmarillion says that all the sons of Feanor wandered around southern Beleriand after the great defeat. So Elros and Elrond might have lived for a time at Amon Ereb, or not.
    it's in the Silmarillon, so they have to get it wrong by default, because "they do not own the rights". What a mess
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Wait I thought he was fostered by Maglor and presumably dropped off before He and Maedhros went to their doom. He would have been over 50 and certainly had some kin in Lindon. Dialog makes it sound he was a the elf version of Oliver
    Correct, Maglor (and Maedhros depending on variant) rescued both. They were full grown by age 24, and Elrond at least was there in the War of Wrath, witness to the Fall of Thangorodrim. Galadriel had fled Beleriand sometime before the Fall of Nargothrond, and thus would not have known child Elrond.

But here, the showrunners seem to have fogotten that they had introduced *Elros as the brother of *Elrond. So important was this relationship that they even used a painting of the two...

I think you guys are reading too much into it. He was likely merely referring to a particular moment where he was alone and Galadriel helped him. Not that he didn't have any family or friends alive at that point.
    The Armenian Issue

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    I think you guys are reading too much into it. He was likely merely referring to a particular moment where he was alone and Galadriel helped him. Not that he didn't have any family or friends alive at that point.
    It still seems a bit silly. Particularity when while yes I realize the show writes can't directly reference what they don't have access to. WHat thay make up can be in accordance with it. Elrond would have met Galadriel as an adult and given his linage (which is part of the what they have rights too) not somebody wandering around lost in and thirsty in Linden.

----------------

it's in the Silmarillon, so they have to get it wrong by default, because "they do not own the rights". What a mess
    Again it seems a good writer could knowing the history they can't use could write around that and make the stuff they have to make up better and more logical.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

It still seems a bit silly. Particularity when while yes I realize the show writes can't directly reference what they don't have access to. WHat thay make up can be in accordance with it. Elrond would have met Galadriel as an adult and given his linage (which is part of the what they have rights too) not somebody wandering around lost in and thirsty in Linden.
    I'm not sure what in Elrond's statement is wrong. Do we have any source on when they met? We know that Elrond lost his father at the age of six, however.
    The Armenian Issue

"...for ere the fall of Nargothrond or Gondolin I [Galadriel] passed over the mountains, and together through ages of the world we [Celeborn and Galadriel] have fought the long defeat."
    The fall of Nargothrond was ca. 495. Elrond was born in 528-532 (depending on variant, Tolkien seems to have ended with the later date).
    Galadriel had fled Beleriand not only before Elrond was born, but before Elrond's parents were born.
    Galadriel never met child Elrond. Elrond was an adult by the time they would have met (after the end of the First Age).

So good that Amazon offering bribes to watch it in Brazil:
    "o combo perfeito existe e ele é um cupom de R$ 30,00 no @ifoodbrasil + maratona de #OsAnéisdePoder"
    (the perfect combo exists and it is a R$ 30.00 coupon at @ifoodbrasil + #OsAnéisdePoder marathon)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CkgdsTNJIRq/

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

It's not exactly like you're going to get paid to watch it. not at all, actually.

By the way, it's November, and the fight continues. it is clear that the problem was not the quality of the series for some.
    Last edited by mishkin; November 26, 2022 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    It's not exactly like you're going to get paid to watch it. not at all, actually.
    Bribed with a food coupon worth 30 rials. As the google translation provides...

By the way, it's November, and the fight continues. it is clear that the problem was not the quality of the series for some.
    Is it...

Blog Entries

It wouldn't seem like a scandal to you if Netflix did something similar.

Some people are discovering bundles campaigns for the first time I guess...
    The Armenian Issue

It wouldn't seem like a scandal to you if Netflix did something similar.
    I don't recall saying anything about a scandal,
    I understand that you pretend to know what I think or not, and thus feel free to ignorantly speak for me.
    But, if it had been Netflix that had put this *Rings of Power why would and had to resort to bribery in an attempt to increase veiwership, why would I not point it out?
    Do explain.

Blog Entries

I'm sorry for associating the word bribery with scandal. It must be something cultural.

You have framed the promotion as amazon wanting to bribe people to watch a series to increase their audience (the reasons for this? Isn't it a little late for this?). That same advertising campaign could be read as Amazon wanting to promote prime video by encouraging people to see their latest and greatest creation, something they are proud of; "Look at the wonder we offer, subscribe".

if netflix offered a certain amount of discount coupons in lidl for those who saw the crown for the first time, no one would talk about bribery. weird campaign yes, bribery no.

Anyway, this is a debate about the practices of a company, not about the quality of a series. I am totally in favor of hating most of the big companies and all the billionaires, but I am afraid that in the criticisms of this series they come together:
    - bezos/amazon haters who want his company and productions to fail.
    - fans of tolkien's work who do not tolerate that this specific product does not respect the author's work.
    - people who think this is a "woke" product and must fail because they are indoctrinating us.
    - people who think that with the money invested they could have done better.

In my case it is mostly the last option. What is your case Infidel144? Why so much combativeness regarding this series?
    Last edited by mishkin; November 27, 2022 at 05:11 AM.

I'm sorry for associating the word bribery with scandal. It must be something cultural.

You have framed the promotion as amazon wanting to bribe people to watch a series to increase their audience (the reasons for this? Isn't it a little late for this?). That same advertising campaign could be read as Amazon wanting to promote prime video by encouraging people to see their latest and greatest creation, something they are proud of; "Look at the wonder we offer, subscribe".
    'It is so great we are going to bribe you to watch it.'
    if netflix offered a certain amount of discount coupons in lidl for those who saw the crown for the first time, no one would talk about bribery. weird campaign yes, bribery no.
    But, if it had been Netflix that had put put this *Rings of Power why would and had to resort to bribery in an attempt to increase veiwership, why would I not point it out?
    Remember, you have told me in your infinite wisdom that you know what I think. So tell me why.
    Anyway, this is a debate about the practices of a company, not about the quality of a series. I am totally in favor of hating most of the big companies and all the billionaires, but I am afraid that in the criticisms of this series they come together:
    No. It is reflection of the 'quality' of the series that Amazon has to resort to bribery.

- bezos/amazon haters who want his company and productions to fail.
    - fans of tolkien's work who do not tolerate that this specific product does not respect the author's work.
    - people who think this is a "woke" product and must fail because they are indoctrinating us.
    - people who think that with the money invested they could have done better.

In my case it is mostly the last option.
    But above you declared you are "totally in favor of hating most of the big companies and all the billionaires".

What is your case Infidel144? Why so much combativeness regarding this series?
    Don't you know 'my case', as you have declared to know what I think ("It wouldn't seem like a scandal to you if Netflix did something similar")?

Of course, if you had paid attention to my postings about the lore breaking aspects, characterization, inconsistency, dialogue etc you might actually know 'my case'.
    Last edited by Infidel144; November 27, 2022 at 05:56 AM.

Blog Entries

It seems that you were complaining about something more than the dialogues and the narration here.

I can hate a platform and consume its products (for free in this case). If you think it's a form of hypocrisy, fine. I also have no problem with you calling promotions bribery. Bye.

Edit: Sorry just one question if you don't mind. Are you the one who complained in this thread because an actress showed her cleavage?
    Last edited by mishkin; November 27, 2022 at 06:22 AM.