Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rings of Power. Lord of the Rings. TV Show.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default The Rings of Power. Lord of the Rings. TV Show.

Would have been nice to see some live action, but, CGI intro is better than nothing.

Release date: Sept 2nd 2022.

The show will depict "the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth’s history"

"It will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness," the statement reads. "Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth."

Last edited by Halie Satanus; February 14, 2022 at 04:55 AM.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Rings of Power. Lord of the Rings. TV Show.

That was one of the cooler CGI intros I've ever seen.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Huh, pretty excited to see what they come up with. Hopefully they don't screw it up. For example, if the "intimacy" director allegations are true it is highly concerning about the shows artistic direction in comparison to the audiences expectations for a LOTR type show. I haven't really seen any updates to that situation so if anyone else did it'd be interesting to know the result.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Well on the one hand they have a lot a room to manuver. Does anyone actually know what material they have right to. I mean there is really interesting unfinished work on the second age on Numenor. That would allow saw say single season arcs jumping from court drama to Numenor going from nice exploration to Spanish type conquest and exploiter in the New World. FOr examle the implication of JRRTS works is than say when the ents lament the loss of the great forest they tended it was Sauron who cut it down but rather Numenorians.
    Last edited by conon394; January 19, 2022 at 12:10 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Magistrate

AIR IT!

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

"and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness"

So did not read the history of the First age ?

---

@z3n

" if the "intimacy" director allegations are true it is highly concerning about the shows artistic direction in comparison to the audiences expectations for a LOTR type show"

Can you elaborte?

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    That was one of the cooler CGI intros I've ever seen.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

It's funny you posted that, Araval, because I was actually coming back to this thread to post the same thing to correct myself

Makes it even cooler, imo

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    For example, if the "intimacy" director allegations are true it is highly concerning about the shows artistic direction in comparison to the audiences expectations for a LOTR type show. I haven't really seen any updates to that situation so if anyone else did it'd be interesting to know the result.
    Honestly, that's one of the least worrying aspects IMO. As I understand it, they probably just want to be on the safe side following the whole "me too" thing, and hire that director for e.g. kissing scenes. And even if it were indicative of "spicier" content à la Game of Thrones, I'd take that over the insertion of ideologically driven "woke" nonsense any day of the week.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    "and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness"

So did not read the history of the First age ?

---

@z3n

" if the "intimacy" director allegations are true it is highly concerning about the shows artistic direction in comparison to the audiences expectations for a LOTR type show"

Can you elaborte?
    Well there are a few articles which explain what was going on but basically they were looking for actors who were comfortable being "exposed / nude" physically and they also hired someone to direct the intimate scenes.

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/202...ke-on-tolkien/

Nobody is really sure what they're trying to do but hopefully they don't go the GoT route or try to create controversy.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Honestly, that's one of the least worrying aspects IMO. As I understand it, they probably just want to be on the safe side following the whole "me too" thing, and hire that director for e.g. kissing scenes. And even if it were indicative of "spicier" content à la Game of Thrones, I'd take that over the insertion of ideologically driven "woke" nonsense any day of the week.
    To me the possibility directly contradicts Tolkeins overall vision (high fantasy meaning it is purged of the "gross" specifically sex, bodily functions, and foul language). To contradict something so fundamental to the Tolkein universe would result in a domino effect imo. With the end product being a separate creation entirely and only "inspired" by Tolkein rather than being true to the underlying source material and overall plot.

Btw I'm referring to letter 131 off the top of my head, in which Tolkein described what kind of universe he wanted to create.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I, for one, want to see some hot naked elves.

Praeses

I'd like to see it, but....one guy tweeted "innocent until proven guilty but you're on thin ****ing ice" and that's fair.

Hopefully we won't get a succession of Numenorean Denethors (yeah I know, there were Numenoreans called Denethor, also Sindar, but you know what I mean) or "elves at Hornburg" tier buzzkills. Very hard in Hollywood etc mnot to have some exec put his oar in "needs a skateboard" "could really use a boob shot" coz a focus group said so.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Blog Entries

I think they've jumped to troll sized conclusions based on the 'comfortable with nudity' line in a casting call. The below section (from the link ZeN posted) jumps from 'Nudity' to sweaty grinding in a couple of lines. Even admitting it's pure *speculation. Terrible reporting.

''TheOneRing.net of new casting announcements by BGT Casting; stating ‘must be comfortable with nudity’ for upcoming roles in LOTR. *Put two and two together: there’s an Intimacy Coordinator who serves an important role to ensure the well-being of actors during sex scenes (or with nudity) and then we learn nudity in certain roles is openly asked for.''

It's very likely they are covering bases after 'Emillia Clarke' revealed she felt pressured into nude scenes, and later refused to do any (more) nude scenes in GoT. I think that was around season 3.
    Nude scenes may include dressing/undressing, bathing, walking around in sheer clothing. Rather than swinging from the dangly bits of the star of Jungle Burger (either you know it or you don't).
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; January 20, 2022 at 07:18 AM.

I still interested in what the bigger plan is just some run up the Last alliance and a big CGI battle that a lot people will mostly know the end of? Or more broadly the potential of based the unfinished stuff for stories that either were well unfinished and the vast majority of people will have no ideal how they end.

Blog Entries

Sounds like they are going to focus on characters in Tolkien's world, rather than the minutiae of specific stories. I'm guessing there will be teasers through the year.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Nude scenes may include dressing/undressing, bathing, walking around in sheer clothing. Rather than swinging from the dangly bits of the star of Jungle Burger (either you know it or you don't).
    Tolkien shied away from kisses (except between males, usually in a near combat situation, or getting on a boat) so anything more sexual than Winnie the Pooh is going to be a world breaker.

so I expect Annatar's intro scene to be along these lines:
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

I feel like I would’ve been hyped about more LOTR a few years ago but I’ve been disappointed by so many fantasy projects in general in recent years that I’m afraid to get excited, especially with LOTR above all other properties. If they try to “sexy” up Middle Earth like you all also fear simply to stay with the times it’ll be a big miss for me. Changing LOTR to fit the current zeitgeist and to milk a property is how you get a bloated 3 film adaptation of the Hobbit
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I'm hyped! That intro was pretty damn cool despite not revealing a damn thing. I can't wait for Elrond and Elendil to kick everyone's ass, in a medieval fantasy realm way of course, not like a buddy cop comedy duo. Isildur and Anarion should be fun characters to see as well.

Well there are a few articles which explain what was going on but basically they were looking for actors who were comfortable being "exposed / nude" physically and they also hired someone to direct the intimate scenes.

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/202...ke-on-tolkien/

Nobody is really sure what they're trying to do but hopefully they don't go the GoT route or try to create controversy.
    To me the possibility directly contradicts Tolkeins overall vision (high fantasy meaning it is purged of the "gross" specifically sex, bodily functions, and foul language). To contradict something so fundamental to the Tolkein universe would result in a domino effect imo. With the end product being a separate creation entirely and only "inspired" by Tolkein rather than being true to the underlying source material and overall plot.

Btw I'm referring to letter 131 off the top of my head, in which Tolkein described what kind of universe he wanted to create.
    Why is everyone such a prude all of the sudden? Is TWC run by 17th century priests who covered up naughty bits of Greco-Roman statues at the Vatican or something?

I can understand why someone dislikes repetitive gratuitous nude scenes, and Game of Thrones did invent the concept of "sexposition" (i.e. portmanteau of sex and storyline exposition), but having a few sex scenes is nothing. Unless you're watching this show with your grandmother, then I would truly have to wonder why it would make you so uncomfortable. Maybe go outside and talk to girls more often?

For that matter it's not like LOTR was devoid of romantic relationships. Jackson's trilogy didn't have sex scenes but it did have intimate make out scenes between Aragorn and Arwen. Sex is just a part of life and, since the LOTR books and film trilogy were geared more towards a universal audience, obviously it wasn't going to have sex scenes. This isn't Disney Plus, though. A modern TV series on Amazon Prime doesn't have to cater to a younger underage audience like that and is naturally more adult-centered. I'm sure they don't plan on shoving Elven wee-wees and vaginas in viewers' faces for ten minutes straight, if that's what you're overly concerned about.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I think shows like Euphoria and many other HBO shows (and even Game of Thrones when it wasn't being gratuitous) have demonstrated that sex scenes and even just casual nudity can absolutely contribute to a show.

Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast