Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rings of Power. Lord of the Rings. TV Show.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: The Rings of Power. Lord of the Rings. TV Show.

I think that was rather my point. Dorwinion was properly located on the map. As I recall, this was being questioned by another poster.
    My mistake might have lost track of who was claiming otherwise.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Why "The lord of the Rings: The Rings of power" in not a prequel"

Because you'll up with lore, what else?

We were not interested in doing a show about the younger version of the same world you knew, where it’s a little bit of a prequel,” McKay told Entertainment Weekly in a cover story. “We wanted to go way, way, way back and find a story that could exist on its own two feet. This was one that we felt hadn’t been told on the level and the scale and with the depth that we felt it deserved.”
    This quote below is both outrageous and hilariuos

He added, “It was like Tolkien put some stars in the sky and let us make out the constellations. We’re doing what Tolkien wanted. As long as we felt like every invention of ours was true to his essence, we knew we were on the right track.”
    The more I look into this, the less I like it.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Terrible choice of actor for Sauron/Annatar, IMO. I look forward when he'll start to rap-battle with Celebrimbor

Silly jokes aside, I think that the character of Annatar is quite different from what seen in this pic. First, he should be older (the actor is 22 AFAIK) and definitely with less devilish eyes (but that picture can be depicting a specific moment, so it's not really indicative). However, the image I have of Annatar (considered what it is said in the Silmarillon) is different IMO, he should be "very fair" and imposing like any other Maiar, and definitely more elvish looking.
    Last edited by Flinn; July 29, 2022 at 04:56 AM. Reason: original image disappeared
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

They probably made an even worst choice with Elrond

Who's this nerd, sorry?

edit: an early review, quite interesting

Last edited by Flinn; July 29, 2022 at 05:10 AM.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

He does kinda look like Doogie Howser Elf Lord. Obviously kinda silly he should be older. And looking a bit more detached.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

Please be good...

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Wait, there is a thread for this atrocity and I didn't notice it??????

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post

Terrible choice of actor for Sauron/Annatar, IMO. I look forward when he'll start to rap-battle with Celebrimbor

Silly jokes aside, I think that the character of Annatar is quite different from what seen in this pic. First, he should be older (the actor is 22 AFAIK) and definitely with less devilish eyes (but that picture can be depicting a specific moment, so it's not really indicative). However, the image I have of Annatar (considered what it is said in the Silmarillon) is different IMO, he should be "very fair" and imposing like any other Maiar, and definitely more elvish looking.
    Hey yo Elves of Eregion, want rings to be kickass like Feanor?

Yeah, this whatever, isn't Sauron, but some cultist or smth like that. And you can forget everything you read in the Silmarillion, given that Amazon doesn't have the rights for that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrosmeister View Post
    And you can forget everything you read in the Silmarillion, given that Amazon doesn't have the rights for that book.
    Amazon gets rights to use items outside of The Hobbit and LotR on a case by case basis (see the (modified) map of *Numenor).

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrosmeister View Post
    Wait, there is a thread for this atrocity and I didn't notice it??????
    You were sleeping on it

I am so bereft of hope this will be anything but miserable...Eminemsauron looks retarded, their rebranding of classic characters is just totally wrong, they are totally off center with the lore, the heavy reliance on CGI smacks of the same basic mistakes as The Hobbit trilogy. My prediction is total train wreck. Anything more will be an Amazon win. My hope is they don't go for the Disney Star Wars mushroom strategy and develop a ton of spinoffs like we have seen with Disney. Disney has turned the SW franchise into unwatchable drek.

The OST by Bear McCreary was published, here is an example:

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    My prediction is total train wreck.
    Haha my exact thoughts. I can't guess how many times I've watched the trilogy & it's one of those movies which I watch every once in a while. Such a masterpiece. So, I highly doubt they would be able to fill the expectations of LOTR fanbase.

Default Rings of Power (Amazon)

This is the most expensive television series to ever exist. What are your thoughts?

I myself give this show an extremely poor outlook. The show runners and producers have an actual avowed political agenda, backed up by the actors they cast. I predict this is going to be a total train wreck.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; August 22, 2022 at 07:03 PM.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

It's gonna be an absolute show. The makers have shown numerous times they don't care about the established world or the vision that Tolkien had. I believe Rings of Power is gonna be as if a cow ate the writings and the that comes out of it after it has passed four stomachs is what the Rings of Power is going to be.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I think we'll be positively surprised. Just because we've got low expectations now.
    I've had high expectations cocerning the House of the Dragon - and I'm disappointed after having seen the first part.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post

That's either Eminem or the other white rapper guy from Malibu's Most Wanted, and you can't convince me otherwise:

I have low expectations for this show, maybe even lower than House of the Dragon, and that's saying something considering how D&D screwed up GOT so badly in the last few seasons of their show (without being fed directly from the hand of GRRM). Maybe the lowest of expectations will make me like it slightly! Always good to enter something with somewhat low expectations, because you might be pleasantly surprised by parts of it.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

that aint Sauron man....

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    The OST by Bear McCreary was published, here is an example:

Yea, the soundtrack is really good, Bear nailed it (the only weak part ironically seems to be the main theme by Shore) ... especially the dwarven and Numenor themes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    It's gonna be an absolute show. The makers have shown numerous times they don't care about the established world or the vision that Tolkien had. I believe Rings of Power is gonna be as if a cow ate the writings and the that comes out of it after it has passed four stomachs is what the Rings of Power is going to be.
    Thats weird, cause I have seen quite the opposite. Almost all the crew (especilly including the ppl running it) are total Tolkien nerds (one of the showrunners even speaks elvish I think) and Tolkien Estate has very actively participated on the show, to ensure they get things right. (the marketing hasnt been the best I guess...)

Anyways, there is no "story" for Second Era... what we got from Tolkien is basically just an "incomplete chronicle" of major events, there was always inevitably going to be lot of extrapolation and additions, to make it into actual story... we will see how that turns out... but at the very least, super high production value is there for sure...

Either way, people probably need to take a step back and wait with making their opinion until they actually see the show (or at least an ep of it) ... there is insane amount of disinformation running arround, and a huge anti campaign all over the place... (reminds me of anti vaxers tbh)

But we already got some first impressions from the early screenings and its all overwhelmingly positive! So pretty sure its not gonna be a complete disaster (at least when ppl are able to approach it with an open mind)

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/202...embargo-lifts/

Good times for fans of fantasy for sure....
    Last edited by Jadli; August 24, 2022 at 03:27 AM.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    that aint Sauron man....

Yea, the soundtrack is really good, Bear nailed it (the only weak part ironically seems to be the main theme by Shore) ... especially the dwarven and Numenor themes...

Thats weird, cause I have seen quite the opposite. Almost all the crew (especilly including the ppl running it) are total Tolkien nerds (one of the showrunners even speaks elvish I think) and Tolkien Estate has very actively participated on the show, to ensure they get things right. (the marketing hasnt been the best I guess...)

Anyways, there is no "story" for Second Era... what we got from Tolkien is basically just an "incomplete chronicle" of major events, there was always inevitably going to be lot of extrapolation and additions, to make it into actual story... we will see how that turns out... but at the very least, super high production value is there for sure...

Either way, people probably need to take a step back and wait with making their opinion until they actually see the show (or at least an ep of it) ... there is insane amount of disinformation running arround, and a huge anti campaign all over the place... (reminds me of anti vaxers tbh)

But we already got some first impressions from the early screenings and its all overwhelmingly positive! So pretty sure its not gonna be a complete disaster (at least when ppl are able to approach it with an open mind)

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/202...embargo-lifts/

Good times for fans of fantasy for sure....
    With what I have seen so far (trailers, official art, interviews, articles) I'm not convinced that the people who are running it are Tolkien fans or have any intention of doing justice (or at least how I see it done justice; the entire discussion is completely subjective in nature).

Changing and adding to make a complete story or make a book enjoyable in film form is something that always has to be done. The Lord of the Rings trilogy has done this heavily as well. A lot of things were changed or added or omitted. The question I'd raise is are the changes they are (allegedly, we won't know for sure until the episodes are out) making worth the pay-off. Changes to the lore have to have some pay-off imo. Of course what a worthwhile pay-off is is quite subjective in nature. The Lord of the Rings trilogy also changed things I'm not a fan of but in the end it's still one of the greatest adaptations in film history.

It might be a succesful show (on a monetary and view scale - I'm no expert on the matter nor do I care about that in particular) but most likely, I believe, not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    The showrunners are such "Tolkien nerds" that they have to rely on their 'feelings', rather than what Tolkien stated ('we felt Tolkien wanted Elves to have short hair'), in answer to softball questions that were not followed up on.
    One of the showrunners came out and quoted the hymn to Elbereth at SDCC. If that means he can 'speak elvish' then I have been able to 'speak elvish' for 40+ years.
    The Estate has not made sure that "they get things right", and the member of the Estate that the showrunners cited (Simon Tolkien) has stated that Jackson was too faithful to the books.
    Last edited by Infidel144; August 25, 2022 at 12:14 PM.